Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you want workplace empowerment, shouldn't you go out and start your own company? Having the employees telling the owner what to do is having the "tail wag the dog."
For employers that want to terminate an employee and can't, it's more of a flea than a tail.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
You're dead-wrong, if you think that all employees can get severence pay, or even unemployment benefits. Not all companies are generous enough, to offer severance pay.
I think many of us are aware of this. In fact, I got laid off from my last position at the beginning of December - first time ever in the 16 or so years I have been in the working world. It was the day after our team finished a project. I was brought in and told, "we are sorry but we no longer have a position for you at this company." That was the extent of it. I turned in my laptop, Blackberry and badge and was sent on my merry way - no severance or additional payment past my last day of work other than a payout of accrued PTO. So I am someone that is aware of what it is like to be on the receiving end of "employment at will" yet I still support the right for companies to have such policies. (BTW - the day I was let go, I went home, had a few drinks, spent a day getting my act together, and then hit the job hunt trail for about 6-7 hours a day, scored interviews within two weeks and was once again employed within 32 days).

Quote:
Employers need to realize, that they are responsible for the costs of employees.
No, employers have a responsibility, first and foremost, to the best interests of the company. Once again, you may disagree, and you may not think that is right or fair, but it is how things work in the real world.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Your empowerment comes from doing a good job, showing up on time and not calling out sick for every sniffle.
Yeah? There have been many employees that have done excellent work, don't abuse sick days, stay late, come in to work early, etc. And they can, and do, still get unfairly fired. Being a good employee, doesn't guarantee you a job. A good worker who 'values' their job and company, can still get fired, because their boss doesn't like them, or they are discriminated against. You can't assume that every time an employee is fired, that is was justified.

Last edited by artwomyn; 02-05-2011 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Let's say we get rid of employment at will. Who is going to monitor this? Who is going to validate the employee has been properly written up and corrective actions taken?
The validation would come from the personnel or HR department, because they would have the written records. A file is supposed to be kept on every employee, in writing.

Last edited by artwomyn; 02-05-2011 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah? There have been many employees that have done excellent work, don't abuse sick days, stay late, come in to work early, etc. And they can, and do, still get unfairly fired. Being a good employee, doesn't guarantee you a job.
If you get fired and the company is not down-sizing or outsourcing, you're clearly not a valued employee. What's the point of paying someone when you don't value their work?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
For employers that want to terminate an employee and can't, it's more of a flea than a tail.
Fleas are almost impossible to get rid of once you have them, or so I have been told. But you missed my point entirely. If you don't own the company the only power necessary is to come in and work and if you don't like the benefits from that work, you are free to go start your own company or work for someone else. If the employees are telling the company owner how to run his own company, it will turn into a "flea bitten" place of work.

The biggest problem this country has today is a mob run union system. The honest worker who comes to work to work ends up with two bosses. The boss and the mob. The mob runs enough in this country already, let's leave part of the country to us honest hard-working workers and owners. We get along just fine. Some companies even have profit sharing. Many Lowe's employees end us retiring as millionaires. That solves the retirement problem. That also could not happen if Lowe's was having to bow to the unions and the workers were having to pay money to the mob boss unions every paycheck.

Mind your own business and stay up North where nothing works right and leave the South alone. I hope that was plain enough for even a thick minded person to get.

Last edited by NCN; 02-05-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Fleas are almost impossible to get rid of once you have them, or so I have been told. But you missed my point entirely. If you don't own the company the only power necessary is to come in and work and if you don't like the benefits from that work, you are free to go start your own company or work for someone else. If the employees are telling the company owner how to run his own company, it will turn into a "flea bitten" place of work.
Um, that's my point.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You make accusations against people and then when they reply you tell them they have nothing to add and move on. You are delusional.
You don't reply, you and some of these other posters just lob personal attacks, because you don't have the intelligence to stick to the topic. You, and a few other posters want to do nothing but insult and degrade me personally, instead of discussing the topic here. As long as you continue with that behavior, YOU'RE the one that's delusional!

And some posters still have the sick need to follow me from thread to thread, and continue to get off topic by insulting me, making the threads about me, and telling me how I should live my life. So these people need to seek counseling. Anybody who engages in that kind of behavior, has to have some kind of mental problem! And it's really sad and pathetic!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Things happen to lots of people in life. So don't make this about only me. You spent time here doing nothing but patting yourself on the back, about your accomplishments. This thread is about the employment at will rule, in the workplace. If you want to crow about your own life and accomplishments, then you need to go to another thread!

Oh... my apologies-- I get it now.

If I have a personal experience that mimics what YOU want to discuss then fine-- but if I happen to bring up anything that does not pander to your opinion then I am boastful, I am a braggard, I am off the topic, etc etc.

I wouldn't have "crowed" about my accomplishments if you had not made some sort of snide remark in retort about that I should be fired for not knowing my job.

As I said earlier, I feel for you in whatever has made you so bitter.

Here is where I am sure you will say I am patting myself on the back or getting off topic again, but I think it is relevant.

For what it is worth, you do not know what I have or have not experienced in my life (just like granted I don;t know all of the details about your's).

Life has thrown me plenty of hard balls. I spent a good chunk of 5 years (if I have to really draw a timeline) where I became increasingly poorer and poorer. There came a point where my mom (who lived with me) and I ate nothing but rice and ramen noodles. It was a treat when we got to add margarine to the rice. Christmas dinner = rice, a small piece of dried ham someone had given us and margarine. Btw, my pets ate that too because I couldn't afford cat food. Luckily I had no more creditors calling because I didn't have a phone of any kind. We "camped" in the house because we had no fireplace nor heat (didn't have heat for 3 years in a row-- we used the oven wide open when it was too cold to stand it).

What I attribute to why I no longer live this way is because I never thought for a minute that life would get magically better for me. I didn't think it was anyone else's responsibility to improve my life except my own. I didn't blame the fact I made XYZ amount of money on the big bad evil boss and corporation. I didn't blame that the reason why mom didn't or couldn't get a job was because of age discrimination or even disability discrimination. I didn't blame the employment policies of my state-- I didn't blame employers for not hiring me because I had lousy credit.

If someone didn't want me-- I moved on to the next as did my mom and I just never gave up nor did I allow myself to become so disillusioned thinking the world was against me as an explanation for every failure I personally encountered. Sometimes I worked several crappy jobs at once to get enough money. I kept moving on and then found a job that even paid less than the previous job but said they offered more ability to move up-- it was a chance and it worked out. I made sure I was the absolute best in everything I did and in time the raises came as did the better jobs. My mom found a job (even after having 3 major surgeries in that time-- one was so close to the job that she had to list with the help of her doctor all of the pain killers, anesthesia, everything used in surgery during her drug test). She has been there 6 years now.

The difference in life is how people handle the bad things that happen to them. Some people-- go out in the world with a mantle of bitterness, anger, and an attitude that pushes away even the most altruistic person. Others go out there with an attitude that they will just push on and push on-- That my friend is a personal choice of how you choose to live no matter what your circumstances are.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Oh... my apologies-- I get it now.

If I have a personal experience that mimics what YOU want to discuss then fine-- but if I happen to bring up anything that does not pander to your opinion then I am boastful, I am a braggard, I am off the topic, etc etc.
Anyone that isn't an unemployable telemarketer who doesn't qualify for welfare is a braggart. eta: oops, almost forgot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment