U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM

150 posts, read 173,678 times

Advertisements

I saw an ad on Craigslist for an entry level paralegal for a law office. I have no law experience, and while it said it would be helpful, it wasn't necessary. I was going to write my cover letter & send it tomorrow, it couldn't hurt!

I then decided to check out their website and they had another position that I also know I could handle. It also has no law experience required, as long as the applicant has a basic background of paying attention to detail, reliability, etc.

Should I send out two different cover letters for these positions, or just one cover letter highlighting my skills for each position? And, if I do send two, do I make mention that I've applied for another position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM

999 posts, read 481,575 times
If it were me I would just pick one to focus on primarily. I think applying for two might seem desperate unless both positions 90% the same with just some slight differences (for instance applying for an entry-level copywriter position and also applying for an entry-level multicultural media copywriter position within the same company).

I could be wrong though. Maybe applying to both will show them that your really really really want to work for their company, but your cover letter better prove that. If it were me I would apply to one.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:03 PM

14,880 posts, read 18,293,404 times
I'm a hiring manager and have received several applications for not only my job but another totally unrelated job in my organization. I have to say that it puts me off, because it looks like either:

1. They are applying to everything they can to get interviews to satisfy their unemployment requirements

2. They are desperate for anything they might get interviewed for

I really like to see at least an effort to demonstrate that a person is excited about the idea of the job I'm offering, because they have the knowledge and skills required and want to do that kind of work. In other words, they are likely to stay for a while and work hard to learn the duties and do well at it.

On the other hand, if they are closely related jobs but just in different departments I wouldn't care, for example administrative assistant in both HR and Procurement.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,693,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I'm a hiring manager and have received several applications for not only my job but another totally unrelated job in my organization. I have to say that it puts me off, because it looks like either:

1. They are applying to everything they can to get interviews to satisfy their unemployment requirements

2. They are desperate for anything they might get interviewed for

I really like to see at least an effort to demonstrate that a person is excited about the idea of the job I'm offering, because they have the knowledge and skills required and want to do that kind of work. In other words, they are likely to stay for a while and work hard to learn the duties and do well at it.

On the other hand, if they are closely related jobs but just in different departments I wouldn't care, for example administrative assistant in both HR and Procurement.
LOL, but if someone is unemployed and needs money...they aren't allowed to be desperate for work? At least the person is actively seeking work, instead of being a tool and only applying to whatever they wish to do--and then say " I can not find work at all".

Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM

756 posts, read 1,016,781 times
I'd go by if the two are in different departments, or divisions, it'd be less of a conflict to apply to both positions, since there is a greater chance that the hiring managers are different people.

If the positions are in the same department, it maybe a conflict that it looks like you are just applying to anything - and it makes it difficult for the hiring managers to determine the level you belong. In that case, I'd stick with the applying to one position, the one you think you are most qualified for and/or interested in, and focus on fitting the application (resume and cover letter) to best suit that position.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM

14,880 posts, read 18,293,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
LOL, but if someone is unemployed and needs money...they aren't allowed to be desperate for work? At least the person is actively seeking work, instead of being a tool and only applying to whatever they wish to do--and then say " I can not find work at all".
I agree, but often they use the same resume for both. If you do this at least re-write it to reflect the skills that meet the requirements of each job.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,693,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I agree, but often they use the same resume for both. If you do this at least re-write it to reflect the skills that meet the requirements of each job.
Ok that I understand and agree with--especially if they are two different positions, like data entry vs face to face customer service.. lol

And what.. we can't put the OBJECTIVE: TO DO A GOOD JOB AT WHATEVER I AM HIRED FOR

Old 06-09-2013, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,841 times
Okay, I have a question. I went to a particular companies website and found 2 jobs that are pretty much the same (Medical Assisting), but they are for different departments in this hospital, do I customize both my cover letter and resume for each one even though they are the same job but in different departments? And I am extremely interested in both of these positions, and there is no doubt in my mind that I would love to work at this hospital not only from my personal experiences over the years but also others as well, as well as the reputation the hospital has and knowing that the stuff is wonderful!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 AM

7,360 posts, read 7,594,694 times
in that case, unless you can say something specific about why you'd like to work in those particular departments (good idea if you can), i don't think you have to change your cover letter, or your resume of course. definitely briefly touch on why you want to work at the hospital in the letters!

i've done this a few times and i don't think it's hurt my candidacy. especially when you are applying for exactly the same role in different departments in the same large organization. as long as you choose jobs carefully and make sure your cover letter and resume fit the positions, it won't look like you are just mass-applying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment