Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,643,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No.because they were interviewing someone last week
And you chose to start your job hunt next September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
And you chose to start your job hunt next September.
Yes because I expect to be there in September

Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
No.because they were interviewing someone last week
Quote:
We also received performance reviews this past week
I guarantee you that people will be let go this week.

Quote:
I don't think anyone asked.

But if for some strange reason I was to be let go I would be the most confused person in the planet because of the late hours I always put in, always is a top performer, good relationship with all the top management team, never complains in staff meetings, and always help out when needed. So i would defintely be sucidial because I would not know what else to do on my next job and would not have confidence in myself anymore.

My last layoff was understandable because I cost the company more money than what I made a year. But if I was laid off this time, I would not recover at all because I was always performing well which was just documented on the performance review I received last week
Sometimes performance isn't enough. We fired our top performing sales person because she was THE MOST ANNOYING PERSON EVER.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I guarantee you that people will be let go this week.

Sometimes performance isn't enough. We fired our top performing sales person because she was THE MOST ANNOYING PERSON EVER.
And keep someone who was a poor performer but likable?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
And keep someone who was a poor performer but likable?

You are so screwed no matter what the matrix is.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
...But if for some strange reason I was to be let go I would be the most confused person in the planet because of the late hours I always put in, always is a top performer, good relationship with all the top management team, never complains in staff meetings, and always help out when needed. So i would defintely be sucidial because I would not know what else to do on my next job and would not have confidence in myself anymore.
You put in late hours because you were unable to get to work on time even though you live only a few blocks from the office. The supervisor you were friendly with allowed you to come in later than everyone else instead of reporting your tardiness, thus you work late to put in the necessary hours.

As far as helping out others, many of your posts have been highly disparaging of your fellow workers. You've mocked those who've been let go and if those unkind remarks are indicative of your "help" then you seriously need to rethink your attitude towards others.

The problem is that you continuously put a spin on everything and blame everyone else for the problems you encounter in the workplace. It's been suggested to you many times that you seek some counseling to get to the root of why your perceptions differ so much from those of others. Being fired is hardly cause to contemplate suicide but, if you ARE let go then maybe it'll be a wake-up call for you to get some professional help.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You put in late hours because you were unable to get to work on time even though you live only a few blocks from the office. The supervisor you were friendly with allowed you to come in later than everyone else instead of reporting your tardiness, thus you work late to put in the necessary hours.

As far as helping out others, many of your posts have been highly disparaging of your fellow workers. You've mocked those who've been let go and if those unkind remarks are indicative of your "help" then you seriously need to rethink your attitude towards others.

The problem is that you continuously put a spin on everything and blame everyone else for the problems you encounter in the workplace. It's been suggested to you many times that you seek some counseling to get to the root of why your perceptions differ so much from those of others. Being fired is hardly cause to contemplate suicide but, if you ARE let go then maybe it'll be a wake-up call for you to get some professional help.
It's not a 9 to 5 job and management knows that. A fry cook is a 8 hour job not career advior

Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Yes because I expect to be there in September

Well then:

Have a good time but remember
There is danger in the summer moon above
Will I see you in September
Or lose you to a summer love

See you (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
In September (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
I'm hopin' I'll
Well, maybe I'll

Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
When I was unexpectedly laid off I was the second best performer and third senior guy in our group. I had an excellent review. They retained some of the underperformers and newer people but I figured I was cut because I made more than they did and the company was “saving money”.

Has your boss or anybody been avoiding you or talking with you less lately? That’s usually a “tell” that gives away something bad is on the horizon.
often the "boss" is also let go. I know of several cases where a whole group was eliminated, from top to bottom.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Memos regarding equipment upgrades usually mention that to prepare people. The day before payday too? The timing on this doesn’t sound too good. I hope this works out well for you.
Well if the whole company has about the same level of communication and empathy as TVSG then I wouldn't put it past them to just turn in your machine and other stuff for a company upgrade that has no communication to the employees whatsoever except the mysterious memo to staff.

However, I would say at my company you would have received multiple communications that there is a site wide upgrade and be prepared this date to turn in your equipment, etc etc.

As the day neared they would send out reminders about backing up your data on your personal network drive, etc.

The whole turn in your stuff the day before payday-- (and I don't know many people who would upgrade even your blackberries or cell phones at the same time as the laptops).

At my company people received whatever phones happen to be the most current one at the time they get a phone-- so there is not a fixed pool of everyone has this blackberry-- but there is a fairly fixed pool of Thinkpads out there with different models. Although it still would not be a whole turn in your laptops, I may have a T400 which is the more recent version of the Thinkpad versus you who may have a T60-- the T60 may need to be upgraded but they wouldn't ask me to turn in my T400.

So.. with that said-- I think it has something more to do with perhaps they may be shutting the office, losing all government funding, consolidating, or taking away laptops and cell phones and just handing out desktops. WHo knows really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment