Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 PM

32,903 posts, read 26,127,501 times

Advertisements

Is it foolish to think that in your late 50's you could go back to school and get a 2 or 4 year degree, and then at around 60 or so, begin a new career perhaps as a chemistry lab technician, or a medical lab technician, or a pharmacy technican? Any informed opinions on the matter? I had thought I might go back to school and get a degree in pastry arts and become a baker, but decided against it. I've been retired for the last 5 years and sometimes think about working again. I'm just curious about what people think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,010,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Is it foolish to think that in your late 50's you could go back to school and get a 2 or 4 year degree, and then at around 60 or so, begin a new career perhaps as a chemistry lab technician, or a medical lab technician, or a pharmacy technican? Any informed opinions on the matter? I had thought I might go back to school and get a degree in pastry arts and become a baker, but decided against it. I've been retired for the last 5 years and sometimes think about working again. I'm just curious about what people think about it.
It is absolutely NOT foolish one bit! In this day and age people remain active and vital well into their 70s or 80s. There is no reason why age should be a limitation on ANYONE wanting to pursue a dream.

In case you haven't noticed *many* of the X and Y generation are clueless. If this country is going to continue to thrive it is going to be up to the older generation to maintain a high level of quality in all things. Hopefully, in time the younger folks will get a clue, but until that happens (if ever) it is going to be up to US - the older generation to keep the ball rolling.

I say go for it Mike. Follow your dream. Show the world that you aren't afraid to do what your heart tells you to do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 PM

935 posts, read 2,405,460 times
I don't see why not if that's what you really want to do. Especially since you just want to be a lab technician. I have a couple of friends in their 50s and 60s who are starting their own businesses after spending a lifetime working the daily grind. I also knew a few people in their 50s and 60s who attended college while I was in college and they actually did a lot better in college b/c they knew what they wanted to do.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,456,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is absolutely NOT foolish one bit! In this day and age people remain active and vital well into their 70s or 80s. There is no reason why age should be a limitation on ANYONE wanting to pursue a dream.

In case you haven't noticed *many* of the X and Y generation are clueless. If this country is going to continue to thrive it is going to be up to the older generation to maintain a high level of quality in all things. Hopefully, in time the younger folks will get a clue, but until that happens (if ever) it is going to be up to US - the older generation to keep the ball rolling.

I say go for it Mike. Follow your dream. Show the world that you aren't afraid to do what your heart tells you to do.

20yrsinBranson
I second this too, Mike. But why not go for pastry if you love that instead of going for medical? Pursue something you would love to do! Don't just study for something that you think is in demand.

I have my college degree and decided to take classes in medical billing. I was a medical biller for about 6 years and now have my own online business. If this business does not pan out then I'm off to find another passion that I can do. Don't let age stop you! We are living older and older and everyone should be active in their 80's and 90's, God willing.

But my advice is, do what you love to do or have a passion for. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I don't see why not if that's what you really want to do. Especially since you just want to be a lab technician. I have a couple of friends in their 50s and 60s who are starting their own businesses after spending a lifetime working the daily grind. I also knew a few people in their 50s and 60s who attended college while I was in college and they actually did a lot better in college b/c they knew what they wanted to do.
Thanks 20yrsinBranson and kattwoman2. I suppose my main concern is the well known age discrimination which exists in the work place. Even younger people are having a hard time getting hired these days, and so I wonder if an older person would have a competitive chance. I know that the younger generation is said by many (generally speaking) not to have a good work ethic, and I know that some employers do like older applicants. I am trying to weigh the odds of getting hired against the time and cost of going to school.

To be honest, I would not call these dreams. Just things I might be interested in doing. I don't need to go back to work and may very well never do so. It's just that sometimes I feel like I would like to do something with a career. And at other times I am quite content to stay just as I am.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I second this too, Mike. But why not go for pastry if you love that instead of going for medical? Pursue something you would love to do! Don't just study for something that you think is in demand.

I have my college degree and decided to take classes in medical billing. I was a medical biller for about 6 years and now have my own online business. If this business does not pan out then I'm off to find another passion that I can do. Don't let age stop you! We are living older and older and everyone should be active in their 80's and 90's, God willing.

But my advice is, do what you love to do or have a passion for. Good luck!
I would enjoy that more, and even much more than the other careers that I mentioned. But I (seriously) would end up eating too much pastry, and that would not be healthy. Still...maybe... You know...I do get kind of excited thinking about it.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,111 posts, read 80,205,776 times
My sister went back to school and started a new career at age 45, but that's still well under 60. Age discrimination, while illegal could hurt you
and if you spent a lot of money on schooling it would be lost. If you are not in need of additional income, then there has to be something you can do without a lot of additional education that would be fun for you. Even part time work at entry level in a bakery might be fun, and small businesses are aware of the work ethic of older employees. Think more about your interests, especially hobbies, and find something fun to fulfil your apparent need to work.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,367,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I love the pastry Idea and maybe you could be able to get your own business... My mom does and she is almost 70! well 65

Anyways, I feel you! i am 33 getting my MBA and feel so old.... But one is never old to learn new things

Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
My sister went back to school and started a new career at age 45, but that's still well under 60. Age discrimination, while illegal could hurt you
and if you spent a lot of money on schooling it would be lost. If you are not in need of additional income, then there has to be something you can do without a lot of additional education that would be fun for you. Even part time work at entry level in a bakery might be fun, and small businesses are aware of the work ethic of older employees. Think more about your interests, especially hobbies, and find something fun to fulfil your apparent need to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I love the pastry Idea and maybe you could be able to get your own business... My mom does and she is almost 70! well 65

Anyways, I feel you! i am 33 getting my MBA and feel so old.... But one is never old to learn new things
Thanks bisjoe and CarolVa1977. Since I don't need the money, there's no motivation from that. So the motivation is between doing something meaningful - of benefit to society, or from something personally enjoyable. I have to admit that while not as meaningful as the technician jobs I mentioned, being a baker or perhaps a pastry chef would be much more enjoyable. And I only live a half mile away from the campus of the Community College which teaches the pastry arts program. Maybe I should bring it back into consideration. I don't know that I could get even an entry level job in a bakery without taking at least a few classes, but could look into it.

You know, I do recall reading a while back where a 60 something year old banker quit his job as a banker and went to, it was either a culinary arts or pastry arts school and then got hired at some resort where he had interned. He made far less money then he did as a banker but enjoyed what he was doing a whole lot more.

But I need to develop some 'won't power' when around all that pastry.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM

677 posts, read 929,706 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson

Just want you to know I'm a fan of yours, I always enjoy reading what you have to say whether pro or con cause your post are always so well thought out. Thanks for being a member of this board, you're a treasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment