Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

Don't expect a job to make you happy. They pay you to go there. I have had really crappy jobs and less crappy jobs. Right now, I am just glad I have a job, no one left me a trust fund, and no man ever supported me. So I guess I am just glad I am not homeless. Forget about being happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
I am with Jasper most people hate their jobs. High end business people IT engineers making a 100k+. They hate their f*cking life. I know guys making rotten money working dead end jobs hate them too. Too many people think their going to love their job. They pay you to be there it is mostly going to suck. I had a business prof guy was in his 70's. Retired from Ford was high up in Ford. He said he only knew 3 people who liked their jobs. And he did not count himself in there. I do not think this is uncommon. When you make 100k you can still hate your job. Just like the guy making 35k you may have more toys or bigger house. But you can still hate your job that same no matter the cash you make.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Honestly I think most people probably fall somewhere in the middle. They don't love their jobs and they don't hate their jobs.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:04 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I am with Jasper most people hate their jobs. High end business people IT engineers making a 100k+. They hate their f*cking life. I know guys making rotten money working dead end jobs hate them too. Too many people think their going to love their job. They pay you to be there it is mostly going to suck. I had a business prof guy was in his 70's. Retired from Ford was high up in Ford. He said he only knew 3 people who liked their jobs. And he did not count himself in there. I do not think this is uncommon. When you make 100k you can still hate your job. Just like the guy making 35k you may have more toys or bigger house. But you can still hate your job that same no matter the cash you make.
I don't know about "most" people but I do agree many do not like what they do. It's sad really. I am one of the few who can say I really do love what I do. I like going to work and I work for a great company. I just think many people just settle in life. They develop a pesimistic attitude towards life and figure "its like this everywhere and theres nothing you can do about it" I for one did not want to be one of those people.

So even though many people feel that way it is completly within their power to change their situation. Being miserable is a choice.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
It depends on the situation but I agree manderly6. I think most people are somewhere in between, at least most of the people that I know. The people that I do know that hate their jobs, eventually leave. I doubt anyone who truly HATES their job would stick with it in the long run.

It's tough to find a career path that you love sometimes. Trust me, if I had a choice I would love to be some sort of tour guide like eco tours or something like that. Guess what? The pay is crap and while I would love my job, I would be dirt poor and ironically not be able to travel as that is my passion and truly makes me happy. I would have no money to travel anywhere. I would also love a job writing novels (actually I do write on the side) but just like being an actor or film maker, it's a make it or break career that can leave you dirt poor.

A relative of mine loves scuba diving, it is her passion, but again, she has children and that salary is going to make things OUTSIDE of work unhappy if she were to make a career out of it becayse she would have no money. You just have to find a balance of something that you at least like, maybe not love, but like, but also that will reward you outside of work either through money or other ways.

Money isn't everything or happiness but it sure helps. A career isn't everything but it should be either rewarding you emotionally/psychologically or monetarily. I am sure most would like it to be both.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Very inspiring. I am seriously considering quitting my job to do something different. I'm the sole breadwinner in the family, but we have a good chuck of cash available and savings from which to draw on if we need it.

I made over $90K last year and while I didn't love my job, I didn't hate it either. All that changed with a new assignment, new boss and new location. Never in my 33 years career have I ever been so miserable.

The good part is, we can survive on roughly half of our existing income. Finding someone willing to hire me who won't consider me overqualified is what scares me. That and I don't know what else to do since this has consumed most of my life. But I'm ready to take the leap!
Good luck to you. Remember nothing happens overnight. It takes time and hard work and you will get where you want to be. (if you have talent and desire) My wife is trying her dream of being a real estate agent. We have heard from everyone that its so hard, you probably won't do well in this economy etc..... People she went to class with already got a regular job. She just keeps pushing forward and she is starting to sell.

Remember, for everyone that says you can't do it there is somebody somewhere doing it.

Just sayin

Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Good luck to you. Remember nothing happens overnight. It takes time and hard work and you will get where you want to be. (if you have talent and desire) My wife is trying her dream of being a real estate agent. We have heard from everyone that its so hard, you probably won't do well in this economy etc..... People she went to class with already got a regular job. She just keeps pushing forward and she is starting to sell.

Remember, for everyone that says you can't do it there is somebody somewhere doing it.

Just sayin
Thanks..tried to rep ya but I've gotta spread it around!

For those of you who say you can't be happy in a job, I believe that if you can't do what you love, you should at least love what you do. Meaning, you need to find a way to get some satisfaction from it. Up until this assignment, I always tried to have fun with my job even when it required long hours or tough assignments. I think the difference for me is that the team of people I am working with now are the most negative I've ever dealt with. Makes it hard to stay positive.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Stuck is right. Especially now with the economy like it is...there is not going to be a better job out in the public sector with the money and benefits you have at your current job. Even if you hate your job...you may be stuck...so, start focusing on the the things you like to do outside of your job, it can make those 40 hours bearable. I post a picture of my daughter, of us skiing, which we could never afford to do without my job that I can't stand either...
This.

OP, I was pretty much in your exact same position 3 or so years ago, just before the economy took its dump. I didn't loathe my job, but I was definitely bored. I left, moved across the country, and set out to "live my dream". I met my awesome wife out here, so just for that alone it was all worth it. But, financially, I might as well have taken all my money out of the bank, brought it out into the street, and lit it all on fire.

Yeah- I am a big advocate (now, with 20/20 hindsight- I prefer to call it experience, though) of doing some job that will allow you to enjoy the rest of your life.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,382 times
I have to agree with the "play it safe" recommendations. I remember a long ago reading a long-term study about poverty; the three "rules" for not being poor were 1) graduate high school 2) don't have kids out of wedlock, and 3) (most importantly) do NOT quit a job without another one lined up. I've been working at this job for 21 years, and have survived 2 mergers and one round of layoffs. The medical benefits just went to a health savings account with a high deductible - so I essentially have to pay $3K FIRST out of pocket , and THEN the insurance kicks in, which I pay another $530/month for. Plus, no raise for 4 years, no bonus for 6....my year end this year will be 87.5K for something I put in 50/hrs week for. But I'm in my 50s, and in my field I won't find anything better. It's not defeatism- I've looked and even interviewed at 2 other companies- but geez, no one wants to pay the kind of bucks it takes to live where I do, but I'm too tired to enjoy the area around me.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geojock View Post
I have to agree with the "play it safe" recommendations. I remember a long ago reading a long-term study about poverty; the three "rules" for not being poor were 1) graduate high school 2) don't have kids out of wedlock, and 3) (most importantly) do NOT quit a job without another one lined up. I've been working at this job for 21 years, and have survived 2 mergers and one round of layoffs. The medical benefits just went to a health savings account with a high deductible - so I essentially have to pay $3K FIRST out of pocket , and THEN the insurance kicks in, which I pay another $530/month for. Plus, no raise for 4 years, no bonus for 6....my year end this year will be 87.5K for something I put in 50/hrs week for. But I'm in my 50s, and in my field I won't find anything better. It's not defeatism- I've looked and even interviewed at 2 other companies- but geez, no one wants to pay the kind of bucks it takes to live where I do, but I'm too tired to enjoy the area around me.
Stick it out ten more years man, endure. Good luck I feel bad for the people now coming into the workforce. Because now the rules to avoid poverty are 1) Graduate college 2) have no more than two kids in wedlock 3) same as previous (keep your job as long as possible)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment