Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
My point is your not looking for advice. You are looking for agreement. Most of the advice you have receieved you simply dismiss as " i can't do this because"

Don't come on a board and ask advice if you truly don't want it.

Here is my advice. Stay at your job and be miserable until they fire you and then look for another one. It seems that is what your going to do anyway.
Who said I was looking for agreement? Just because I've rejected other people's suggestions doesn't mean I'm looking for people to tell me to stay. But so far, no one has come up with a truly compelling argument for why I should just quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Here's it what you said in your first post:

It pays well, has full benefits, and even lets me work from home. But the job will be coming to an end sometime this year. I don't know exactly when, but I'm guessing sometime in the Spring, perhaps even sooner. At best, it'll last til Summer.
And what part of that statement says that the end of the project will mean the end of my job? While I know the deadline for my current project, I don't know how long the rest of they have left for me will take. I'm only guessing based on what I know of that work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Work will continue to go on with or without you though so don't stay just for the good of the company. Companies don't seem to have any loyalty to you, so why should you have loyalty to your company?
Believe me, I'm not staying out of loyalty. As I stated earlier, my reasons for staying this long are based entirely on self-interest. 1) Being employed will give me an advantage in my job search over the people who are unemployed. 2) I won't have to eat into my savings and I'll retain benefits like health insurance. 3) If I complete the project and then leave, at least I'll be able to get valuable references from the company. 4) When I apply for another job and they ask if they can contact my previous employer, I don't have to worry about what they'll say about me.

The way I see it, I have three options. None of them are very good. I'm just trying to figure which is the least bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
When someone says "the job will be coming to an end" I'm guessing that vast majority of people will assume you won't be employed any more.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Who said I was looking for agreement? Just because I've rejected other people's suggestions doesn't mean I'm looking for people to tell me to stay. But so far, no one has come up with a truly compelling argument for why I should just quit.

So your not looking for advice. Good we got that cleared up. Your looking for a good argument to quit.

And what part of that statement says that the end of the project will mean the end of my job? While I know the deadline for my current project, I don't know how long the rest of they have left for me will take. I'm only guessing based on what I know of that work.

I would assume when you say my job will end I am assuming you mean they will no longer need you. So what's the deal. When you job(s) end will you be let go from your position?

Believe me, I'm not staying out of loyalty. As I stated earlier, my reasons for staying this long are based entirely on self-interest. 1) Being employed will give me an advantage in my job search over the people who are unemployed. 2) I won't have to eat into my savings and I'll retain benefits like health insurance. 3) If I complete the project and then leave, at least I'll be able to get valuable references from the company. 4) When I apply for another job and they ask if they can contact my previous employer, I don't have to worry about what they'll say about me.

The way I see it, I have three options. None of them are very good. I'm just trying to figure which is the least bad.
I don't see how Number 1 is going to help you if you can't even look for a job or interview with anyone. Seems like Number 1 is not going to do you any good by continuing on with your current situation.

Number 2 is a big deal especially the health insurance.

Number 3 I would agree with. Quitting won't necessarily be a good thing in the middle of an important project.

Number 4 I would also agree with.

So my advice would be to stick it out until this project is done. Hopefully it slows down and you can look for another job. I don't know your employer but if you brought up the fact that you are going to be looking for another job after this big project is complete they may be willing to work with you on reducing your hours. Just make sure they understand you committed to this project and will work whatever you have to to finish.

You are stuck in a bad spot. You don't want to quit during this time when millions are looking for work. You also can't look for work because of your schedule.

I would hit the job boards and just start sending resumes. Maybe it won't work but then again maybe it will.

Whats your field in. I have some connections depending on where you live.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
When someone says "the job will be coming to an end" I'm guessing that vast majority of people will assume you won't be employed any more.
I thought that also.

Are you working alone on this project-just you?

Is it possible to hire someone to help with portions of it? I realize you would have to pay them. I'm trying to think outside the box.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,057 times
It seems like you managed to find the time to post on here several times over the last couple of days. Time you could have spent on your job search.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
OP, please answer these questions.
1. Are you considered exempt or nonexempt? That is, are you salaried, or an hourly worker ?
2. IF YOU ARE HOURLY, how on earth are you not being paid time-and-a-half for overtime? WHY would you allow that?

Okay, questions over. Here's my advice. In lieu of a vacation, and to take advantage of that lovely health insurance, start making appointments for yearly checkup, dentist and optometrist. And KEEP these appointments. Get them done as soon as you can. No boss can fire you for looking after your health. Let them threaten; there's no one else to finish this "important" project, correct? Don't let their goals become your goals; you're not paid enough for that.

On a general note: people, it's time to end the "I'm lucky to have a job" slavering. Yes times are hard, but stop putting even more power into their hands. The bosses are lucky to have us.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,923 times
Nope, not a chance would I quit until they let me go.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM

207 posts, read 501,033 times
One observation: You're spending alot of time on here when you could be applying for jobs but that doesn't matter.

I would wait it out. I'm sure at some point you'll have a weekend day that you can spend applying for jobs. I was recently looking for work and on a very good day (8-12 hours) could get 20 resumes out. I am blessed to have gotten into a field that just about untouched by this recession (business analyst) so finding work was actually easier than it must be for most.

One thing I've noticed is that employers are hiring for jobs quickly. In other words, they advertise for the job when they are ready to hire. They don't require the lead time to get good applicants that they did when unemployment was at 4%.

I can tell you that I recently work on an applicant tracking system at my current employer. I created a "dummy" job for people to apply for (actually wrote not to apply on it). But I filled in real information from a past opening that we had just so it would look nice when presenting. You wouldn't believe it - this was a job making $10 per at a call center, that said DO NOT APPLY on it, and we got nearly 20 resumes in 2 days.

What's the point? If I'm looking to hire, I can set up an opening on my website and get probably 100 applicants in a week. That means that I won't post this until I am 100% ready to go.

Apply when you have the time, but know that even though openings are few, you'll likely get picked up quickly if you are good, and I'd imagine you are based on your posts talking about how much work you put it. Many people on my team will almost outright refuse to work when their workload gets past 37.5 hours for a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment