U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 AM

462 posts, read 925,387 times

Advertisements

I'm in a new department now, same company. They told me in the interview there can be occansional overtime. Well, not knowing what the job actually was and the details I now see it will require more than occansional OT. Projects have deadlines...I understand what that is. But the work is still hard for me and I'm not the fast ( yet ). We went over the typical goals for the year and part of it was - " a consistent work week of 40 -50 hours to achieve assignments on time". My boss tells me if you can finish every thing in a normal 40 hours she doesn't mind. But in my head I was thinking " ah - I don't want to take away 2hrs a day from my family! " This is not what I signed up for. I am looking for another job but wasn't sure if there was much else I can do? I plan to finish things on time but I also can't give up that time from my daughter during the week. My husband is not home until 6..by the time you finish dinner etc...I could end up going to bed late..but I also work 7-4. So I am up early. Just wondering...other than leaving..what else I can do? Should I talk to them about that? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,357,166 times
Can you work through lunch?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,456,490 times
From your post it sounds like you agreed to the OT and they were very up front about it and what was expected, why did you take the job in the first place?. My suggestion is you suck it up until you can find another job they are very scarce. I will tell you there will be 100's if not 1000's of people willing to take the job if you leave.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 AM

I can work though lunch and have at times. The OT to me being occasional as I mentioned and not knowing the job or workload at all I had no idea what I was agreeing to..unfortunately. If I had ....would not have taken the position and just stayed where I was So now I back to the job search again...was hoping not to but it is what it is. * sigh *

Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,531,263 times
Well without understanding exactly how much overtime you need to do.. would 30-45 mins extra be a lot?
Or maybe 1 or 2 days where you stay longer.. like 2-3 hours in order to meet deadlines. I mean, if it was possible to do something within 2 days, and have the other 3 days as normal 8 hour shifts, it shouldn't be too bad.

Regardless, good luck =)

Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 AM

623 posts, read 1,386,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
The OT to me being occasional as I mentioned and not knowing the job or workload at all I had no idea what I was agreeing to..unfortunately. If I had ....would not have taken the position and just stayed where I was So now I back to the job search again...was hoping not to but it is what it is. * sigh *
Really?? You didn't thing to ask what occasional overtime was? If that little amount of OT is such a big deal I would have asked during my interview at the mention of OT. Also you mention you are not that fast yet. Do you not want to learn and become better? I would think once you got the hang of things you might get it all done within 40 hours on a consistent basis.

I don't think by their statement they meant you will work 10 hours a week OT. I think they are just trying to say that deadlines need to be met and you will have to work OT to make them if you can't make it during your regular workweek. Seems like that would be incentive for me to get it done within 40 hours as much as possible.

Also why would you take a job not knowing what your agreeing too?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,721,019 times
Is there any work that you can take home with you so that when your daughter goes to sleep or something, you can spend an hour doing something for work. Also, I don't know what your mornings are like, but when deadlines approach you can come in earlier, like 6am. I find mornings are easier to get things done as not many people are in the office.

The other posters are right, they will find a replacement quick if you don't want to do the overtime and they were upfront about it. However, since you just started, it's only understandable that it will take you longer to complete your tasks. You will get faster and better. Think of ways that would make your job easier (quicker) and maybe eliminate some redundant tasks.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM

7,030 posts, read 15,955,357 times
One thing I've come to find out thru my 35 plus years of employment......a company can pretty much change whatever they want to after they hire you. Sometimes during an interview, it's the "you (applicant) didn't ask, I'm (interviewer) not telling" mentality concerning the job. I worked for one company that I had to make pickups/deliveries for, along with my other duties.......pickups and deliveries were never told to me during the interview and I never asked. Only thing is, those pickups/deliveries were done with my vehicle cause company had no vehicle. If my insurance found out that I was using my vehicle for company work, my rates would go up. With a different company, I was not told that I'd be a back-up driver (company vehicle). How the Director covered himself for this was to state "supporting the warehouse staff". I never thought about asking about him about that statement!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 AM

@loveboating - exactly...I did ask if there was any OT required...telling me occasional- to me is here and there. They failed to mention that even hiring me and another person that they have a heavy workload. Had they come out and said "honestly we get backed up a lot and projects are on a tight timeline...which could require x hours of OT". I asked many questions but I feel they pulled the " you didn't ask, I won't tell". When I did ask...I would have liked an answer like I stated so I can say...yeah this is not for me. But for now I will just have to keep looking and do the best I can. Thanks for the feedback so far

Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM
JS1

1,898 posts, read 5,961,936 times
If you need to go home, then just say so, and get back on it the next morning.

Employers like to do that, where they say "we need you to work OT" but what they really mean is "we would love if you volunteer to work OT for no extra pay".

If they fire you for not working OT all the time, then that solves the question as to whether you should continue to work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment