Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Once again, I'm in California, and this may not apply in your state, but here adding prepared food would mean you were opening a restaurant, which is a LOT more complicated. If you've never opened a restaurant before, you might want to look into what's involved, at the state level...
That's a really good point. I know here in Colorado, the laws regarding food safety are really strict.

You might want to check with your health department regarding the smoothies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
A few years ago a friend of mine considered buying a tanning salon. The owner provided her with a set of books to look at and she thought the business was doing well. She spent a week with the owner in the salon to get a feel for the day to day flow.

On the 5th day she overheard the owner on the phone telling someone that there was no way he was going to show anyone the real books because they would never buy the business. He told the person that he had created a "better" set of books to provide to potential buyers.

My friend finished out the day and then told the man she did not feel that his business was the right opportunity for her. 5 weeks later the place went out of business.

I don't imagine that this is the right kind of economy for a business that offers something so non-essential. If the previous owner defaulted on the equipment financing doesn't that kind of tell you that the business did not make enough to support itself?

LOL

Every restaurant I've purchased I've taken the books and divided them in half to get a better understanding of what they make.

I also learned to ask for them to supply numbers through an accountant. Most won't cook the books and if they do then you can hold them accountable.

Also ask for a list of suppliers and check if they are up to date on payments. And ask the landlord and neighboring tenants about the business.

With a restaurant it's easy to check on how they are doing for lunch and dinner. Stop in and eat. Spend some time and count the tables and te people they turnover.

Lots of way to checkout a business without depending on the books.

busta

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Make sure the lease is to your corporation & not you personally in case you need to walk away.

Doesn't matter. If he's the CEO of the corporation then he's responsible for the rent in the end. Same with insurance, utilities, suppliers, etc. All will make you personally sign in case the business fails.

busta

Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have been a licensed cosmetologist for 30 years, and a part of that time I worked as a hairdresser. So I am very familiar with the ladies beauty industry. Having worked and lived in Branson, I have also had lots of face to face with tourists and I have a good background in sales.
I don't understand. In the post below you say you're not a hairdresser and in the above post you say you're a licensed cosmetologist. Am I missing something?

(I had been thinking about buying a beauty salon, but it just so happened that I had to spend some time IN a beauty salon, and there is no way I could deal with that environment. Too many personalities to deal with. Besides, not being a hair dresser myself is a disadvantage when owning a hair salon.)

busta

Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Well, I will be putting in smoothies! yum yum. I like the idea of weight loss as a complementary service. That is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

20yrsinBranson
You just opened up a new ball of wax. You do know what it takes to sell food?

busta

Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I don't understand. In the post below you say you're not a hairdresser and in the above post you say you're a licensed cosmetologist. Am I missing something?

(I had been thinking about buying a beauty salon, but it just so happened that I had to spend some time IN a beauty salon, and there is no way I could deal with that environment. Too many personalities to deal with. Besides, not being a hair dresser myself is a disadvantage when owning a hair salon.)

busta
I am a licensed cosmetologist. But I do not do hair for a living. I had an occasion to be in a beauty salon for another purpose other than doing hair.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
You just opened up a new ball of wax. You do know what it takes to sell food?

busta
Well, there is no food involved. All of the smoothies come prepackaged and all you do is add ice and blend. But if you are referring to health laws about serving products that are consumed, yes, I do know. Basically, all that is required is a sink to wash hands and a source of water for washing products that gets to a certain temperature. That would not be a problem.

20yrsiBranson

Old 02-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
As I'm sure you've seen me post before, UI is NOT government assistance, it's INSURANCE.
You don't earn it. Same difference to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
You don't earn it. Same difference to me.

20yrsinBranson
Errrr, not to go tooo far off topic, but that's kind of like saying you wouldn't accept the payments from your health insurance if you got cancer (or some other terrible, expensive disease).

In otherwords, if you've only been with your health plan for a year and paid, lets say, $2400.00 in, and then were diagnosed with cancer, you would turn down the payments after you reached the $2400.00 mark???

If your answer is "yes", well then I suppose I kind of admire your strict moral sense. But most of us probably can't afford to live like that.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe
Make sure the lease is to your corporation & not you personally in case you need to walk away.
Quote:
Doesn't matter. If he's the CEO of the corporation then he's responsible for the rent in the end. Same with insurance, utilities, suppliers, etc. All will make you personally sign in case the business fails.
Busta, that might be true for a corporation, but not for a LLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment