Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

I am 26 years old and refuse to work more than 8 hours a day if it's not necessary. And I work in a corporate white collar office environment. I don't understand why people are now doing 8 - 5:30. Are they doing it just to look good? Or do they really have a vested interest to stay there and work? Either way, I refuse to do it unless it's absolutely necessary. If modern trends are evolving toward a 9-hour work day, screw that. I have things to do in my personal life. 8.5 hour days are the max I'm willing to tolerate.

At the end of the work day, I have to sometimes get gas, go grocery shopping and cook dinner, then shower, and take care of some errands, etc. Not to mention the commute. I don't understand how people can accomplish all these things with working 9-10 hour days, in a healthy manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am 26 years old and refuse to work more than 8 hours a day if it's not necessary. And I work in a corporate white collar office environment. I don't understand why people are now doing 8 - 5:30. Are they doing it just to look good? Or do they really have a vested interest to stay there and work? Either way, I refuse to do it unless it's absolutely necessary. If modern trends are evolving toward a 9-hour work day, screw that. I have things to do in my personal life. 8.5 hour days are the max I'm willing to tolerate.

At the end of the work day, I have to sometimes get gas, go grocery shopping and cook dinner, then shower, and take care of some errands, etc. Not to mention the commute. I don't understand how people can accomplish all these things with working 9-10 hour days, in a healthy manner.
Agree 100%. Life is too short for unpaid overtime. Besides, we're all going to get a 3%-4% raise. The guys putting in 45-50 hours/week might get 4%-6% raise. Not worth it.

Look at it this way, the extra two hours may be 2/24ths of a day but it's about 2/3 of your disposable time. When all is said and done: work, commuting, sleeping, running errands, shopping, cooking, looking for a lost remote, answering a telemarketer on the phone, chatting with a hot mom down the street, etc....we only have maybe three hours of time to ourselves a day. If you're working an extra two hours, they're coming from those three hours.

I work with a lot of people (engineers) who put in hours like those. A lot of them seem depressed, divorced, or unhappily married. The best engineers make the worst husbands.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM

364 posts, read 1,080,612 times
Quote:

I agree 100%. I'm 26 as well and work 9 hours a day, and hate it. Corporate america sucks. If you want to make more then 50-60K, you gotta put in 10+ hours a day. I'm looking to get out and go into teaching or get a job at a college. Better hours, pay, retirement, etc.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
9-5 8-4 is history since 10 years ago, now it is 8-5 9-6
Americans just live to work.
you would think that with all these modern conveniences, faxes, computers etc, that Americans would work less, yet we work more than ever before.....something is very wrong here...

fortunetely I am old school so I work 8:30-4:30, and not a second more....and tak a full hour lunch......****sticks tongue out*****
Old-school here, too.

There are still plenty of 9-5 jobs. Anything administrative, executive, or clerical. Public relations, corporate communications, publishing (on monthly mags or the book side, not dailies), ad sales, meeting planning, banking, financial planning (mostly), trading, medical billing in a private practice, office work at the federal, state, or county level, property management, school administration, manufacturing (although that's likely to start at 7:30 a.m.), government contracting, architecture, engineering, IT. Put it to you this way: Someone is putting the rush in rush-hour.

It really depends on the company you work for. Some have 40-hour workweeks with days that go 8-5, or some semblance thereof, with the employee working 8 hours and taking 1 hour for lunch, totaling 9 hours at the workplace. Others have a 37.5 hour workweek. Others have a 35-hour workweek. My last four office jobs were 35 hours, 35 hours, 37.5 hours, and 37.5 hours.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:

you are right, tehre are also other things in the day that need attention as well. if you cant get a job done in 8 hours, then they need to hire another person. This American thing of work work work work work is really getting tired already. The they try to tell you how to manage time to get other things done in life, didnt I see that on Oprah, yeah beesh, if the work day was shorted by even an hour, we could get more stuff done in a day and perhaps as silly as it may sound, maybe have a tiny bit of fun for about an hour....instead of working for these un greatful big companies that do not give a rats ass about its employees.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I agree 100%. I'm 26 as well and work 9 hours a day, and hate it. Corporate america sucks. If you want to make more then 50-60K, you gotta put in 10+ hours a day. I'm looking to get out and go into teaching or get a job at a college. Better hours, pay, retirement, etc.

absolutely agree with that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but bigtime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:36 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Salaried, you get taken advantage of a lot in regards to hours.
Not necessarily. I know many people who put in 50 hours a week, maybe a bit more, who are salaried - but it would be a very rare hourly employee who would make close to their salary amount for the same time spent working.

Quote:
More power to you. But don't be surprised when you find, 10-15 years down the road, that you have contemporaries who are making a lot more than you are. It boils down to what is more important to you.

Quote:
Its really not that difficult. But then again, I spent several years traveling 50%-75% of the time...now that makes it difficult to manage one's personal life. So now even if I work more than 8 hours, at least I'm home every day and it feels like I have much more of a personal life than I did when I was sleeping in hotels 3-4 nights per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I'm 26 as well and work 9 hours a day, and hate it. Corporate america sucks. If you want to make more then 50-60K, you gotta put in 10+ hours a day.
So...why does that suck? Do you feel like it is reasonable to work only 8 hours a day and make six figures per year?

Again - it depends what you want out of life. If you want to limit your work to 8 hours a day, chances are you will make less money than someone who is putting in longer hours. But, on the flip side, you will have more personal time then someone who may be making more, but who spends more time on the job. You have to decide what is the right balance for you.

As a side note - if you do something you really enjoy for a living, having to work longer hours on occasion is not as rough as if you are doing a job you can't stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment