Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Sometimes with these employee potlucks and when people bring things in to share, there is pressure to participate as well as hurt feelings when someone chooses not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Get over yourself.

Just as you have a right to eat whatever you want to eat, your coworkers have a right to bring in whatever food they want to bring in.

I never wanted to participate in pot lucks---too much hassle for me to make something.

I often turned down offers of food people brought in---for health reasons, too much junk food isn't healthy.

I never in a million years thought I had a right to insist that people don't bring in food.

It's their business if they bring in food. It's my business if I eat it or not.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:48 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sometimes with these employee potlucks and when people bring things in to share, there is pressure to participate as well as hurt feelings when someone chooses not to.
Yes, I agree 100%.

One thing i never liked were office potlucks.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 AM

18 posts, read 45,634 times
Quote:
If this thread is indicative of the way Ron treats his co-workers, then I'm guessing he has bigger intra-office problems than his (non-)participation in office potlucks.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg045 View Post
If this thread is indicative of the way Ron treats his co-workers, then I'm guessing he has bigger intra-office problems than his (non-)participation in office potlucks.
I haven't seen enough of Ron's posts to have a sense of how he treats his co workers. It isn't clear from this thread whether he actually tells them to their faces that their brownies are sub-standard or whether he's just venting here (and venting about this is completely understandable to me).

But this thread struck a cord with me. I've worked in environments where simply and politely declining to participate in these activities created resentment among those who enjoyed them. In some cases it seemed to be expected and I felt pushed.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
LOL............go back under your rock. I can talk about anything i choose to discuss. There are tons of topics on this forum that I choose not to answer. Why don't you do the same?
You're complaining about people being kind enough to prepare food for others to eat. That makes you sound like as a nasty, petulant person who wants the world to stop what it's doing so as not to offend his tender sensibilities.

Your response to me is more of the same. The bottom line is if you don't want to eat something, then don't eat it. No one is going to stop bringing their cupcakes etc. to the office because you want to be an ungracious snot.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You're complaining about people being kind enough to prepare food for others to eat. That makes you sound like as a nasty, petulant person who wants the world to stop what they are doing so as not to offend his tender sensibilities.

Your response to me is more of the same. The bottom line is if you don't want to eat something, then don't eat it. No one is going to stop bringing their cupcakes etc. to the office because you want to be an ungracious snot.
That depends on his co-workers' response to his disinterest in sharing their food. I've seen a few of them with the attitude that if you don't participate, you're...well, an "ungracious snot".

Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That depends on his co-workers' response to his disinterest in sharing their food. I've seen a few of them with the attitude that if you don't participate, you're...well, an "ungracious snot".
A simple "no thanks" will suffice. He is whining about what the food looks like. He also pointed out that no one touched some of it. That would be enough of a hint for the person who brought it in, and if it doesn't, so what? Then she makes food, brings it in, and then brings it home.

It's just nasty, tacky, and immature to complain about things people offer out of the goodness of their hearts. Such troubles. Such things to take offense to. Such time on one's hands.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Yes, I agree 100%.

One thing i never liked were office potlucks.
Office potlucks tend to be initiated, championed, and supported by the most "weight challenged" women (and 99% of the time they're women) in the office.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
A simple "no thanks" will suffice. He is whining about what the food looks like. He also pointed out that no one touched some of it. That would be enough of a hint for the person who brought it in, and if it doesn't, so what? Then she makes food, brings it in, and then brings it home.

It's just nasty, tacky, and immature to complain about things people offer out of the goodness of their hearts. Such troubles. Such things to take offense to. Such time on one's hands.
Well, again, that depends on he Ron handles it in real life. Just because he's venting about it on this forum doesn't mean that he's rude to their faces about it.

Ron, how do you deal with this in real life?

And sometimes, a simple "no thanks" doesn't suffice at all. Some people can get pushy and personal over this sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment