Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times

Advertisements

A 59-year-old who can't find a job chooses to commit suicide.

Is this what the U.S. has come to?

[youtube]d3wAOViOItg[/youtube]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3wAOViOItg[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Dreppession and feeling out of control of ones life is a real threat!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
A 59-year-old who can't find a job chooses to commit suicide.

Is this what the U.S. has come to?
No. It's what this person came to, assuming the letter was legit.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
No. It's what this person came to, assuming the letter was legit.
Exactly, it is what a person who suffers from mental illness that happens to be unemployed came to. The overwhelming majority of mentally healthy people press on.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few people feeling that way. Imagine having no income at all, no unemployment, having your utilities shut off, losing your home and all of your possessions, and having nowhere to go.

This country is a disgrace.

But hey, keep outsourcing American jobs overseas! Keep bailing out the rich! Keep increasing that wealth for the top 1%!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Exactly, it is what a person who suffers from mental illness that happens to be unemployed came to. The overwhelming majority of mentally healthy people press on.

You're 100% wrong. Not everyone who commits suicide is "mentally ill". This could be someone who's life just unraveled due to job loss.

They get laid off, start to "eat" into their savings, due to age and the economy send out hundreds and hundreds or resumes and get nothing.

Maybe a couple of interviews that go nowhere and they see their bank account dwindling.

There living in a nightmare with no end in sight.

To assume they're mentally ill is both ignorant and callous on your part.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wrong!! I used to be happy before I lost my job and have thought about ending it myself. I just feel hopeless that I am never going to work again.

Imagine for a moment, you lose your job. You work aimlessly trying to find another one. You read up on interviewing, invest in new interview clothes, network, and exceed your state's job search requirements. You even go back for some training. Despite all your efforts, you are frequently bashed and called lazy by the outside world. Your friends and family agree with the outside world. You lose your friends.

Now, imagine losing your home, pets, savings account, health insurance, and moving back to your home state so you can hear the endless bitching by your own family about you being lazy despite all your efforts to find a job.

Hopelessness eventually settles in and suicide just seems like the only way out.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
For me, I'm 131 weeks unemployed. My 93 weeks of UI was very helpful. But I'm one of the lucky few 99ers that still has income from $1095 monthly SSDI and full Medicare A & B and Medicaid health insurance. Back in 2001 I qualified for SSDI due to my mental illness. I was depressed for years living on SSDI back in 2004 but then I had a premonition that my SSDI would help me in the coming economic depression. Luckily we have no mortgage, I pay no rent, and my parents pay all the bills and property tax.

I can see where a lot of 99ers without income would be very depressed. My SSDI keeps me happy and I can buy good groceries and fast food and enjoy Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, etc.

If you commit suicide you will go to Hell which is a much worse condition.

There are people who live in worse condition than this! People in the Philippines have no welfare, food stamps, SSDI, or unemployment benefits. Sometimes there is gov housing for the poor. So if you're unemployed in the Philippines you have to rely on family and relatives.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

Actually, I just talked with god. He said that was a myth.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
For me, I'm 131 weeks unemployed. My 93 weeks of UI was very helpful. But I'm one of the lucky few 99ers that still has income from $1095 monthly SSDI and full Medicare A & B and Medicaid health insurance. Back in 2001 I qualified for SSDI due to my mental illness. I was depressed for years living on SSDI back in 2004 but then I had a premonition that my SSDI would help me in the coming economic depression. Luckily we have no mortgage, I pay no rent, and my parents pay all the bills and property tax.

I can see where a lot of 99ers without income would be very depressed. My SSDI keeps me happy and I can buy good groceries and fast food and enjoy Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, etc.

There are people who live in worse condition than this! People in the Philippines have no welfare, food stamps, SSDI, or unemployment benefits. Sometimes there is gov housing for the poor. So if you're unemployed in the Philippines you have to rely on family and relatives.
What do you do with your $ 1000 a month check if you have no rent, no health insurance and no bills to pay ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment