Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Job hunting doesn't stop once you HAVE a job. Never stop networking, never stop looking for a better opportunity and you will never worry about work. You should NEVER lose a job and not have a few prospects already lined up.

As someone who has experience working as a freelancer, I know what you're implying about always looking for work.

The reality is that not everyone in the world comes out of the same over-achieving mold that you came from, hnsq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I work with people who are clueless regarding how bad things are..they don't get it. It motivates me to work hard, and keep my head down. I don't want to be out there...and it can happen to anyone now, no job is a "sacred cow". Jobs that used to be stable, forget it. Healthcare is making cuts, government jobs are talking furloughs...I am employed, but I know that it can change that fast...it happened to me before. So, I have my running shoes on if I need to go get some cheese, the problem is...there is not a lot of cheese out there to find!

Jasper here knows exactly what reality is for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
How likely are fast food places to hire displaced, older workers?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Probably more likely Metlakatla, than most other employers, as these types of employers do not receive the deluge of responses a good office position would.

I suspect your question is looking for a way to avoid the possibility of the above comment being spot on.

A friend of mine managed a Boston Market for many years, and liked hiring slightly above middle aged homemakers who'd stayed home too many years to truly compete for office jobs, as their skill sets were not up to date, nor their experiences with software. He was looking for people he would not be likely to lose. If one is older, made very good money, and the employers know they would not hire them for equivalent positions, other employers offering less may feel better hiring them, knowing they are likely to stay longer than a more mobile, easy to place candidate.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 AM

207 posts, read 501,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Fast food places live knowing that they will get very high turnover. I read once that a lofty goal was increase turnover to 9 months. I'm not sure what it is now, but that was a few years ago. So even if you're older, it might be embarrassing, but so is relying on the government for your next meal.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
As someone who has experience working as a freelancer, I know what you're implying about always looking for work.

The reality is that not everyone in the world comes out of the same over-achieving mold that you came from, hnsq.
I understand what you are saying, however I was not like this until about two years ago. I changed my attitude to be like that so I could actually have job security. People are allowed to change their attitudes and views towards work

Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
Fast food places live knowing that they will get very high turnover. I read once that a lofty goal was increase turnover to 9 months. I'm not sure what it is now, but that was a few years ago. So even if you're older, it might be embarrassing, but so is relying on the government for your next meal.
What?!? Being "older" means anyone older than 35 yrs these days. So I don't know exactly what you mean by "older." Break that down some. Fast food is the kiss of death on the resume of a degreed person with 15 years professional corporate experience in a metropolitan city. Besides many of those places won't hire you "if youre' the wrong age, color, religion or weight." In my area I have yet to see someone of my demographic in fast food places. Seriously. I looked out of curiosity.Actually it's NOT embarrassing to "be relying on the gov't for my next meal." I paid taxes my whole life and now I need help. Nothing to be embarrassed. You can be embarrassed all you want. I'm not. It's not forever. It's temporary help that's all.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
See chart below, fast food places are now one of the most difficult to get hired onto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Probably more likely Metlakatla, than most other employers, as these types of employers do not receive the deluge of responses a good office position would.

I suspect your question is looking for a way to avoid the possibility of the above comment being spot on.

A friend of mine managed a Boston Market for many years, and liked hiring slightly above middle aged homemakers who'd stayed home too many years to truly compete for office jobs, as their skill sets were not up to date, nor their experiences with software. He was looking for people he would not be likely to lose. If one is older, made very good money, and the employers know they would not hire them for equivalent positions, other employers offering less may feel better hiring them, knowing they are likely to stay longer than a more mobile, easy to place candidate.
See link to chart below, what your saying would have been true in the past, but not anymore with this crash, many of the unemployed posters have tried to get on with fast foods and have had no luck (me included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
See link to chart below:
Job Competition - TIME

According to statistics getting a job in Wholesale/Retail is at 6.4 people for every one job available and Liesure/Hospitality is 7.2 people for every job available. That means getting on with McD's is actually more difficult than the overall national average of 6 people for every 1 job. These stats were done when the unemployment rate was 9.7 and since then the rate has gone up again.

This is an AZ article about 15000 applying for 1000 jobs at McD's.
Arizona's lower-paid positions drawing stiff competition

Competition for these types of jobs have become fierce, and for someone like me who in my 40 years of work has never done any retail my chances are slim to none. I did apply to every fast food, big box, retail and grocery store in my area, but the manager at the grocery store where I shop (Kroger) told me point blank that I don't have a shot without any retail experience with the 100's of applications he gets for the few jobs he has open he can pick from those that have prior experience.

The unemployment rate in my state has stayed at 10% or above since this mess started. I'd love to move, but without the sale of my place, that I've got listed below market value, I can't because I don't have the funds to move to some place with better job oportunities.

When I lost my job 5/08, I found after a year with my up to date computer software skills and decades of work experience I wasn't even landing interviews, so I re-trained. I paid for a phlebotomy course and got nationally certified. This is one of the FEW jobs available in my area-I'd done my research and I'd preformed phlebotomy years ago and had plenty of experience, I took the course last April, it has gotten me a few interviews but still no job.

I am a 60 year old 99er (most of the 99ers are over 50) with no resources left, I'm about ready to loose my home and join the millions of growing homeless. I apply to everything I'm qualified or capable of doing, I'm not looking for big bucks, my needs are modest, yet still no job. My story is not unique. I want to work and try every day to find work, it's not my resume, I've got plenty of experience in a variety of areas and adjust my resume for each job application.

Now there is a problem if you are unemployed, employers are now not hiring the unemployed:
Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'
Apparently even the EEOC has gotten enough complaints and is starting to investigate.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Things have changed. Everyone knows that. I had a friend who laughed at me for working 60-70 hours a week when I am only getting paid for 40. Guess who is still employed? She thought I was stupid. Now she is looking at having to move in with her Mom because she has not been able to find a job for 6 months. And it is not that she is unskilled or has not been looking. Anyone who takes their job for granted now, is clueless. Believe me, working 70 hours a week so I can have my health insurance, keep my pension, and pay my rent is worth it to me. I don't complain, I am grateful to be employed, and I can't afford to be out there looking...I know that I would be in a pile with 100's of others...I am a 48 year old woman. My chances of getting a job anywhere would be slim to none with my credit and legal problems. I need to stay quiet, work hard, and appreciate my job.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM

379 posts, read 1,401,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand what you are saying, however I was not like this until about two years ago. I changed my attitude to be like that so I could actually have job security. People are allowed to change their attitudes and views towards work

That's good.

Allow me to quote myself again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post

Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
"Avoid responsibility for what? I'm not looking for a job. I asked a question and the reason I asked it is because to me it wouldn't make more sense for a fast food manager to hire a high school student than someone who will leave the minute a better job comes along. I ain't looking for work myself, either, but the people who are have been telling me that the "old stand-by, survival types of jobs" are the most difficult to get right now; that I'm sure that varies by location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment