Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who works as an office manager for a private school. For budgetary reasons they have been cutting back some staff. She is waiting to find out if she will be cut back to 80% but would still have her job.

While she is looking for other jobs she went ahead and said to someone who is above her(not her a boss and I guess what you would call a "work friend) that she hopes they let her know soon as she has another job offer.

Well she does not have another job offer. She applied to an ad she saw(as I'm sure hundreds of others did) but there is no offer.

She is in her early 50s and has never been laid off. I don't think it was too smart to make a comment like that to anyone you work with. It could go right back to the wrong person.

I would rather have be at 80% with benefits than not have a job.

It seems like those who have never experienced a layoff don't have a clue even in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I have a friend who works as an office manager for a private school. For budgetary reasons they have been cutting back some staff. She is waiting to find out if she will be cut back to 80% but would still have her job.

While she is looking for other jobs she went ahead and said to someone who is above her(not her a boss and I guess what you would call a "work friend) that she hopes they let her know soon as she has another job offer.

Well she does not have another job offer. She applied to an ad she saw(as I'm sure hundreds of others did) but there is no offer.

She is in her early 50s and has never been laid off. I don't think it was too smart to make a comment like that to anyone you work with. It could go right back to the wrong person.

It seems like those who have never experienced a layoff don't have a clue even in this economy.
She is probably one of those people who think it is that easy; all you have to do is apply for a job, and wait for an offer. She probably is also one of the people who think all the other people who are getting unemployment are lazy because anybody can get a job if they just go out and apply. Some people are clueless.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:11 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
Quote:

Hmmm...I wonder, do you think she's doing that to put pressure on the company? I know some people will say they have another job offer sometimes in order to pressure their employers into giving them a raise or promotion. Or, in this case, she might be doing this to show upper management that she is a good worker who is wanted by others, so losing her would mean losing a good worker. However, it's not the smartest thing for her to do in this economy if that is her plan.

I agree that some people who have not experienced a layoff don't understand. There are some who know what's going on based on research and the experiences of others. There are still a few who believe the whole job crisis thing is nothing more than propaganda or an excuse for people to be lazy.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,858 times
I think it's more general then that. Anyone who still has a job thinks the economy and job market really isn't that bad.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:45 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I'd have to agree with that. Those who are still working and have not lost their jobs through out this mess seem to be like a turtle with their head pulled in. I happened to run across someone like this who I've known for years they are quite UPPER middle class - a lawyer and he's not had to give up one thing - the country club, the sailing club, the new car, dinners out etc. He's been helping me try to keep my home from foreclosure and he just dosen't get it that I'm 60 years old now and can't get a job no matter how hard I try, even after re-training with phlebotomy certificate. Because of his elitist life style he's not around the poor slobs like me and has no clue how hard it is to get work. He was totally unaware of the statistical fact that there is only 1 job for every 6 people until I sent him a few stats...he was shocked and is still in disbelief.

For those who now might be facing layoffs they are in for a very rude awakening about how hard it is to get another job, unless they are very very lucky and have just the right skill set and live in just the right place.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,574 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'd have to agree with that. Those who are still working and have not lost their jobs through out this mess seem to be like a turtle with their head pulled in.
True, and that will make it all the harder for them if they do get a layoff notice. Where I'm working they actually have a provision in the salary resolution to give more money if a person in a critical position is offered something elsewhere that pays more, but it requires a written offer in hand before a department head can sign it. At a private school or any other small business, claiming another offer simply makes it easier for management to decide who goes first, without any guilt.

I made a hire last week, close to a hundred applicants for one position, so yes, a lot of competition, and from what I hear private schools are suffering badly as people can no longer afford them. Even the local big Catholic High School in our area has been laying off teachers.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:13 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times
Quote:

Wait, what?

Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
For those who now might be facing layoffs they are in for a very rude awakening about how hard it is to get another job, unless they are very very lucky and have just the right skill set and live in just the right place.
While I agree with your comments that there are some people who may be less aware of how things are out there due to their own personal experiences, on the last point posted above - I do not fully agree that being able to find a new job in a short amount of time hinges primarily on luck.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM

207 posts, read 501,150 times
I wish you all would apply at my company. We've had a few openings for months, we get tons of applicants, just none with an ounce of relevant experience. I mean we've looking for a network analyst, we pay very well, all we want is 5 years experience as a network analyst and a couple common certifications as well as a college degree in a scientific area or computer related.

We get applicants who are either fresh out of college and have nothing to offer that we need, or else people who haven't worked in IT before. We occasionally get someone who meets the qualifications, but hasn't worked in IT for 5 years, and hasn't worked in 2. Sorry about your luck, but we aren't here to help people get back in their feet.

I will admit I feel terribly for people who were factory work. I live in a rust belt town that has been rocked for the last 30 years but jobs moving south. These people are competing intensely for jobs that don't exist. It's really sad.

But if you work in IT and can't find work, something's wrong with you.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Hmmm...I wonder, do you think she's doing that to put pressure on the company? I know some people will say they have another job offer sometimes in order to pressure their employers into giving them a raise or promotion. Or, in this case, she might be doing this to show upper management that she is a good worker who is wanted by others, so losing her would mean losing a good worker. However, it's not the smartest thing for her to do in this economy if that is her plan.

I agree that some people who have not experienced a layoff don't understand. There are some who know what's going on based on research and the experiences of others. There are still a few who believe the whole job crisis thing is nothing more than propaganda or an excuse for people to be lazy.
That is exactly why she said it. She is annoyed(and I understand that) that they haven't told her whether or not she will have a full time job or get cut to 80%. This has been going on since the announcement was made about two weeks ago about cutting back.

So this comment was made in anger.

I think that was a big mistake. If they cut you to 80% then you have one day a week off and use that for interviewing.

You still have a job, and we all know it easier to get a new job when you have a job.

But to tell anyone at work(and this was a director she told it to but not her boss) you have an another offer wasn't too bright. Especially when it is not true.

IMO, that gives them an out to let you go and bring in a new person at 80%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment