Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 PM

71 posts, read 184,819 times

Advertisements

I'm ready to get my first job. I love electronics, particularly cell phones, and i always keep up to date on the latest gadgets, etc. Does AT&T hire first-time job seekers, or do they require previous experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times
Most att jobs for entry level are customer service help. THey wont let you start working on phones themselves with an entry level job.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:01 PM

207 posts, read 501,002 times
I've worked with them as a customer. They seem like a good company, although I've only met with some more major reps. My company has a large call center that handles over 500,000 calls each month. I can tell you that they have younger folks that work on the billing side, which can get complex. If you like phone technology, the money really is in networking.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,862,680 times
I have a friend who works on the backbone of the at&t's infrastructure. He's been doing it for a while. He got the job straight out of community college, but that was back in the dot com years. He makes like 80k/year now.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
AT&T hires primarily call center employees in the USA. Sales reps, operator services, tech services. They are all pressured to selling product and have to meet quotas. It's an incredibly high stress job. My sister worked for AT&T for over 10 years; they kept eliminating departments she worked for and making her shift to other departments. The last position was call center information services. There were around 80 people in the department. Thirty of them developed emotional problems and had to be medicated. Several of them quit. My sister suffered a severe asthma/panic attack, and the supervisor told her she had to punch the time clock as "out," drive home and get her asthma meds (which she had left home that day), then return and finish her day. It took a co-worker pointing out to the manager that my sister was on the floor, face drenched in sweat, chest heaving in attempt to get some air, and the potential for a lawsuit if she hurt herself trying to drive out of the parking lot in that condition - to convince the manager that maybe they should call for an ambulance instead.

She kept having digestive troubles due to stress, and ultimately needed surgery to repair a hole in her stomach and an acid-shredded esophogal flap. They fired her during recovery for excessive absences.

Not only do I not recommend you try getting a job with AT&T, I recommend you seek other phone companies to do business with, should you have the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment