U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 18,978,614 times
Reputation: 6167

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I get paid straight time (no premium) for OT. If I'm out on Monday, I put it for 8 hours of leave. But if I work 40 hours the next 4 days, I get paid 48 hours for the week.
Same here. I'm paid a single hourly wage for all hours at work. I can be at work for 120 hours a week and get paid straight time for those 120 hours, no OT. But I get paid for HOURS AT WORK, not HOURS WORKED, If we go to Morroco and have a 48 hour layover until we return, I'm paid those 48 hours even if I'm sleeping at the hotel, swiming at the beach, girl watching at the plaza, or gambling at the casino.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,041,262 times
Reputation: 10909
The thing about our sick time policy, with the managers I have, is, say you miss Monday.

They're going to have you work 4 ten-hour days the rest of the week, then you don't need to use sick time. If you miss Friday, after working 32 hours, you can take only 8, if you worked 34 hours to that point, then only 6, etc. Even being straight time, they do not want you to have more than 40 in a week.

Personally, if it's my personal time, then I should be able to use it even if I worked 40 hours that week, if I so choose. Maybe I need a bigger check that week.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,947 posts, read 18,531,559 times
Reputation: 7164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The thing about our sick time policy, with the managers I have, is, say you miss Monday.

They're going to have you work 4 ten-hour days the rest of the week, then you don't need to use sick time. If you miss Friday, after working 32 hours, you can take only 8, if you worked 34 hours to that point, then only 6, etc. Even being straight time, they do not want you to have more than 40 in a week.

Personally, if it's my personal time, then I should be able to use it even if I worked 40 hours that week, if I so choose. Maybe I need a bigger check that week.
That's an interesting twist.....hummm.... I guess the employer is still keeping you "whole" because by law they don't have to pay ot on non work hours.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,785 posts, read 8,671,600 times
Reputation: 7328
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The thing about our sick time policy, with the managers I have, is, say you miss Monday.

They're going to have you work 4 ten-hour days the rest of the week, then you don't need to use sick time. If you miss Friday, after working 32 hours, you can take only 8, if you worked 34 hours to that point, then only 6, etc. Even being straight time, they do not want you to have more than 40 in a week.

Personally, if it's my personal time, then I should be able to use it even if I worked 40 hours that week, if I so choose. Maybe I need a bigger check that week.
This reminds me of my husband's place. They do that for everything: sick leave, holidays, vacations. His company is open 7 days a week and his schedule always changes. Supposedly, he gets 2 weeks of vacation. If he takes 7 days off in a row, they just don't give him two days off for the week and before and after vacation. So in reality, he only gets 3 vacation days out of that week, yet they charge him for 7 vacation days. Sometimes he doesn't use his vacation (which is what they want) b/c he hates working the week before and after without any days off.

Cute, huh?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,646,645 times
Reputation: 12952
We pay o/t for hours worked. So if you have a combination of earned wages and PTO, we only pay o/t for the earned wages over 40 hours, which is what the Federal law requires. I've never heard of any organization (even heavily unionized ones) where O/T kicks in based on PTO/vacation/sick/etc. hours.

Our employees can't arbitrarily decide to work O/T. It has to be approved by a manager.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,646,645 times
Reputation: 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
This reminds me of my husband's place. They do that for everything: sick leave, holidays, vacations. His company is open 7 days a week and his schedule always changes. Supposedly, he gets 2 weeks of vacation. If he takes 7 days off in a row, they just don't give him two days off for the week and before and after vacation. So in reality, he only gets 3 vacation days out of that week, yet they charge him for 7 vacation days. Sometimes he doesn't use his vacation (which is what they want) b/c he hates working the week before and after without any days off.

Cute, huh?
That makes no sense. He's taking seven days in a row off, and getting vacation pay for those seven days? Or he's taking three days off in a row and being charged for seven vacation days? Please clarify.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,947 posts, read 18,531,559 times
Reputation: 7164
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We pay o/t for hours worked. So if you have a combination of earned wages and PTO, we only pay o/t for the earned wages over 40 hours, which is what the Federal law requires. I've never heard of any organization (even heavily unionized ones) where O/T kicks in based on PTO/vacation/sick/etc. hours.

Our employees can't arbitrarily decide to work O/T. It has to be approved by a manager.
I am a compensation consultant. One of my clients pays OT on all paid hours... including PTO for vacation, holidays, sick. That is unusual, in my experience, and the reason I started this thread. Wondering what varieties of OT v. work time people are living with.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,099 times
Reputation: 10
This is my first job in Arizona and I work for a non-profit at risk youth facility. My company pays OT in excess of 8 hrs. per day. I clock in at 9:53pm and out at 5:53 am if relieved on time. If I clock out 1 min. early, I'm docked 15 min. of pay, so if I clock out at 5:52am, I get paid as if I clocked out at 5:37am! If I am not relieved on time, I don't start to accrue overtime until 6:08am. From 5:54am - 6:07am (14 minutes) I am working for free. They claim there is a 7 minute window on either side of 6:00, but it only beneifts their pocket.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,947 posts, read 18,531,559 times
Reputation: 7164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi76 View Post
This is my first job in Arizona and I work for a non-profit at risk youth facility. My company pays OT in excess of 8 hrs. per day. I clock in at 9:53pm and out at 5:53 am if relieved on time. If I clock out 1 min. early, I'm docked 15 min. of pay, so if I clock out at 5:52am, I get paid as if I clocked out at 5:37am! If I am not relieved on time, I don't start to accrue overtime until 6:08am. From 5:54am - 6:07am (14 minutes) I am working for free. They claim there is a 7 minute window on either side of 6:00, but it only beneifts their pocket.
This is very common, just FYI. People like me write clocking in rules and there's a clocking in window to protect the employer from claims employees are compelled to clock in early and do make-ready work unpaid, and to protect the employees who are there on time but stand in line to clock in, there is some time allotted past start time. Mostly this is for factory work.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 AM
 
2,017 posts, read 4,760,956 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Same here. I'm paid a single hourly wage for all hours at work. I can be at work for 120 hours a week and get paid straight time for those 120 hours, no OT. But I get paid for HOURS AT WORK, not HOURS WORKED, If we go to Morroco and have a 48 hour layover until we return, I'm paid those 48 hours even if I'm sleeping at the hotel, swiming at the beach, girl watching at the plaza, or gambling at the casino.
Assuming you work for the airline industry, you are not subjected to the FLSA. Similar to farm workers. OT does not apply for all industries.

My mom works for an airline in reservations and even if she works 50 hours in a week, she is paid straight time UNLESS the company says that specific hours are OT (when they need to encourage people to work not just have people who traded shifts with each other to pick up more hours).
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top