U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 AM

2,000 posts, read 2,622,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I am a compensation consultant. One of my clients pays OT on all paid hours... including PTO for vacation, holidays, sick. That is unusual, in my experience, and the reason I started this thread. Wondering what varieties of OT v. work time people are living with.
My company did that for awhile since it was just easier to pass hours into the payroll system without any logic other than > 40 pay OT.

Now-- they don't.

They learned that it was... expensive to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 AM

2,000 posts, read 2,622,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The thing about our sick time policy, with the managers I have, is, say you miss Monday.

They're going to have you work 4 ten-hour days the rest of the week, then you don't need to use sick time. If you miss Friday, after working 32 hours, you can take only 8, if you worked 34 hours to that point, then only 6, etc. Even being straight time, they do not want you to have more than 40 in a week.

Personally, if it's my personal time, then I should be able to use it even if I worked 40 hours that week, if I so choose. Maybe I need a bigger check that week.
So....

here is this concept I used to explain to my employees when OT was cut out.

You should NEVER count on OT as your budget. EVER. Because there may be times it is plentiful and there may be times that it is not.

Due to some abuse by certain employees doing exactly the above or saying that they actually worked while they were home sick (i.e. logging in remotely although nothing quantifiable was produced) we instituted a if you take leave, you take leave. You do not work, do not pass go, etc.

And honestly to make up the hours if you were sick by working more you would not be paid OT-- since now we pay OT only on hours worked not paid.

Also-- since we do not get many sick days-- if you decided to make up the sick time so you did not have to lose it then that was your perogative although the net effect would still be 40 hours just perhaps not 32 hours + 8 hours sick.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 PM

6,300 posts, read 10,001,285 times
Quote:
I am wondering how your company pays OT. I know the Fair Labor Standards Act requires OT premium for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. However, wondering if your company pays overtime premium in weeks when you:

Use paid sick time
Use paid vacation time
Have a holiday
Have jury duty

Example, if you worked 32 hours and then had an 8-hour paid holiday/vacation day/sick day/ etc. and then worked another 4 hours, would you be paid time & one-half (6 hours' pay) for the additional 4 hours or not because you actually didn't work the paid 8 hours in the week?

I know employers do this differently, just wondering how many follow the letter of the law and how many do more benevolent applications of IT.
I only get overtime if I work on a scheduled day off. OT >40 hours is only for "normal" employees, not those that are subject to a labor contract, and certain other professions like teaching IIRC.

If I use sick time, instead of 1.5x pay, I only get 1.0x pay for those hours. IE if I work 10 hours OT but use 5 hours sick time, I would get 5 hours of straight pay and 5 hours at 1.5x time.

Holidays do not receive any extra pay or time off, either you are scheduled to work or are not.

Vacation pay is a straight 3 hours per day. Since those are days off, if you willing to work over your vacation you make 1.5x pay.

Jury pay, time off without pay I believe.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 PM

10,200 posts, read 13,333,260 times
This may be a California thing only so may not apply to other states. It also may only apply to companies that have more than 50 employees and we have more than 2,000.

In California if you work more than 8 hours you get paid time and a half. If you work more than 12 hours you get double time. If you work more than 40 hours in a week you get overtime.

Lets say that if someone does work 3 hours over the normal 8 hour shift and the employer tells them to come in 3 hours later the next day, the employer still pays the overtime for the hours worked past 8. They still have every right to change your schedule for the following day.

Today I am off because of a Memorial day. I will get 8 hours of pay for today. Still I did not work today. The company doesn't have to pay me to sit at home. It is a benefit that our company offers. Because of that I could work Tuesday - Saturday put in 40 hours this week and not get any overtime. I didn't work any overtime so it is no big deal to me. I will have a check that shows 48 hours of time for the week or in my case 88 hours of time because I work Saying that I won't be working Saturday anyway. Like other holidays this will be a short week.

I do work in a hospital. We don't send the patients home during a holiday. People do need to work the holiday. Lets say that I did work today. I would get time and a half for the day. I would save my vacation time for some other time I want to take off.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:14 PM

145 posts, read 216,087 times
Quote:
I am wondering how your company pays OT. I know the Fair Labor Standards Act requires OT premium for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. However, wondering if your company pays overtime premium in weeks when you:

Use paid sick time
Use paid vacation time
Have a holiday
Have jury duty

Example, if you worked 32 hours and then had an 8-hour paid holiday/vacation day/sick day/ etc. and then worked another 4 hours, would you be paid time & one-half (6 hours' pay) for the additional 4 hours or not because you actually didn't work the paid 8 hours in the week?

I know employers do this differently, just wondering how many follow the letter of the law and how many do more benevolent applications of IT.
Sick time - no
Vacation - yes
Holiday - yes
Jury - no

Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 272 times
I worked 47 hours the week of July 4th including 8 hrs on friday
The 8 hrs were paid at a rate of 2x my normal rate, the other 39 hrs were paid at the normal rate of 1x because it was below 40 hrs for the week. Is this correct or should I have been paid 2x for 8hrs, 1.5x for 7hrs, and 1x for 32hrs.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:10 PM

16,543 posts, read 7,033,513 times
The law varies by state. Some require PTO to be included in calculating when 40 hour threshholds are met, some do not. In the latter, corps may choose to include PTO hours, but are not required to do so.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 PM

2,737 posts, read 2,179,871 times
We count sick/vacation/holiday towards hours worked, and pay OT on anything over 40.

This is part of a negotiated union contract.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 AM

2,419 posts, read 3,456,502 times
Quote:
I am a compensation consultant. One of my clients pays OT on all paid hours... including PTO for vacation, holidays, sick. That is unusual, in my experience, and the reason I started this thread. Wondering what varieties of OT v. work time people are living with.
Years ago, we used to do the same... Also.. if your normal schedule was 8 hours and you worked more, you got OT on that as well. Great for the employees, ridiculous for the employer... We did away with that about 5 years ago or so.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 AM

3,585 posts, read 5,582,592 times
I work contract IT (W2 wages though) and all hours are paid at straight time. It doesn't matter to me since I have a high hourly rate. The employer sees it as being cheaper and easier to pay us more hours than hiring extra people. I tend to have 45-50hrs a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment