U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how your company pays OT. I know the Fair Labor Standards Act requires OT premium for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. However, wondering if your company pays overtime premium in weeks when you:

Use paid sick time
Use paid vacation time
Have a holiday
Have jury duty

Example, if you worked 32 hours and then had an 8-hour paid holiday/vacation day/sick day/ etc. and then worked another 4 hours, would you be paid time & one-half (6 hours' pay) for the additional 4 hours or not because you actually didn't work the paid 8 hours in the week?

I know employers do this differently, just wondering how many follow the letter of the law and how many do more benevolent applications of IT.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 AM

964 posts, read 2,286,288 times
Also may depend if the employee is exempt or non-exempt.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 AM

3,785 posts, read 8,765,275 times
I get OT only if I actually work over 40 hours. If I use any other paid leave (like sick/vacation/jury/holiday) during our defined workweek of Sun-Sat, then hours worked over 40 are paid at the straight-time rate.

My employer tends to take advantage of this by having us work "extra hours" on holiday weeks.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Also may depend if the employee is exempt or non-exempt.

This question applies to non-exempt employees only.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
I just wanted to jump in to clarify for readers that if an employer chooses to pay you OT even when you haven't worked over 40 hrs in a week, they are going above & beyond, and the employers who stick to the law are not cheating anyone. A lot of people tend to think that when the employer follows the letter of the law, they are being stingy or something. It's also completely legal to send you home 3 hours early tomorrow if you work 3 hrs over tonight, so they don't have to pay you OT. This is called "staying in business" not "being greedy."

A lot of people don't seem to know that overtime kicks in after hours worked, not hours paid. Then they complain when they don't get OT in their check in the same week they had a sickday, holiday, or vacation day.

In most states, this is after 40 hours worked in a work-week. But in a few states, (maybe only one?) I don't know which ones at the moment, OT is required after 8 hours worked in one day. I need to look that up again. In some fields, OT doesn't kick in until you go over 80 hrs in a pay period, rather than 40 in a pay-week. This was an employer can give you time off a week after a heavy OT week.

Here's what the FLSA says:
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Overtime -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource

Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,317,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just wanted to jump in to clarify for readers that if an employer chooses to pay you OT even when you haven't worked over 40 hrs in a week, they are going above & beyond, and the employers who stick to the law are not cheating anyone. A lot of people tend to think that when the employer follows the letter of the law, they are being stingy or something. It's also completely legal to send you home 3 hours early tomorrow if you work 3 hrs over tonight, so they don't have to pay you OT. This is called "staying in business" not "being greedy."
This is how my company works. We do have OT but it's "highly preferred" that you stay within 40 hours a week. We also have flex time which is really great. You could potentially work 4 10 hour days.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,667,112 times
The bottom line is this: if you're not being paid for your personal time, or specifically hours that lie outside the "agreed to hours" then you are being screwed. Legal, not legal. Law or not law. You are being screwed. That's all. Nothing compensates for extra hours worked. I don't want to be sent home 3 hours early the next day. That won't pay my bills. You still haven't paid me for the 3 hours worked. You just sent me home early the next day. I just lost 3 hours of work the following day. It's a game.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 PM

50 posts, read 90,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

A lot of people don't seem to know that overtime kicks in after hours worked, not hours paid. Then they complain when they don't get OT in their check in the same week they had a sickday, holiday, or vacation day.

In most states, this is after 40 hours worked in a work-week. But in a few states, (maybe only one?) I don't know which ones at the moment, OT is required after 8 hours worked in one day. I need to look that up again. In some fields, OT doesn't kick in until you go over 80 hrs in a pay period, rather than 40 in a pay-week. This was an employer can give you time off a week after a heavy OT week.

Here's what the FLSA says:
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Overtime -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource
that would be the People's Republic of California

Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 AM

2,962 posts, read 2,872,099 times
I get paid straight time (no premium) for OT. If I'm out on Monday, I put it for 8 hours of leave. But if I work 40 hours the next 4 days, I get paid 48 hours for the week.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I get paid straight time (no premium) for OT. If I'm out on Monday, I put it for 8 hours of leave. But if I work 40 hours the next 4 days, I get paid 48 hours for the week.
Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment