Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:22 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,512,884 times

Advertisements

I don't think so. You don't work you don't get paid. About time federal workers suffer some pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 PM

471 posts, read 817,789 times
Should federal prison employees in 116 prisons housing 210,000 inmates leave the gates open or closed on their last day?

BOP: About The Bureau of Prisons

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,297,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
Should federal prison employees in 116 prisons housing 210,000 inmates leave the gates open or closed on their last day?

BOP: About The Bureau of Prisons
Nice try with the scare tactics, but I'm fairly confident (enough to not research) that government furloughs don't effect essential services like the prison system, military, customs and border patrol, FBI, CIA, the list goes on.

And IF the folks that are furloughed for a few days or week, I really can't believe they havwill be paid, I mean WTF? We have no money, yet we can continue to pay people to be at home? That is the problem with the federal government being allowed to print their own money, and is why we are paying $3/gal for gas right now.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM

730 posts, read 2,246,013 times
I am a government employee. I will be one of those on furlough if it happens. Covering 2 weeks of living expenses from my savings is not really what I had in mind BUT I keep in mind that this is a very temporary situation. With all those facing indefinate unemployment I am just thankful to have a job to return to when the 2 weeks is up.
I know that some federal employees budgets are tighter than others &that missing a check will take a toll on some people's families but at least we are not losing our jobs completely. We also keep our insurance, retirment, etc.
My understanding is that the furlough may occur because they do not have the $ for our payroll. So in what way would simply delaying pay help anything? They would'nt be saving any money therefore defying the whole purpose by retro active pay or by letting people use paid leave.
Also why is there SOOO much assumption that we all think we are better than private sector employees?There are certainly some selling points for goverment employment- more job security (although lately I'm begining to wonder), days off, affordable medical (although people keep saying it's free). 360$ a month for my share of premiums and my deductable IS affordable, but by no means FREE.
The drawback in my opinion - ACTUALLY working here! Once again I am blessed to have a job but being a federal worker sometimes sucks your soul.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,047 times
I am a contract employee with the federal government and if they go on furlough, I do NOT get paid, nor do I get reimbursed. Not even sure if I will have a job to come back to. They may decided my job can be handled by them.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,039 times
So what I want to ask is how many of you receive Social Security benefits...or your parents or grandparents. How many of you receive military VA benefits even if you don't hold a Civil Service position? These are all going to be cut should the government be furloughed. So this DOES NOT just affect the Civil Servants. This affects your parents, grandparents, disabled friends and family, veterans, etc.

Yes, in the 90's the civil servants got back pay...this time around, the word is there WILL NOT be back pay. So this will be a huge impact. Consider this...many military installations are grouped in large cities. Washington DC/Maryland/VA area has Quantico, Walter-Reed, Ft. Belvoir, Ft. Meade, Andrews AFB, Bolling AFB. San Antonio has Ft. Sam Houston, Lackland AFB, Randolph AFB, Camp Bullis, Kelly and Brooks City Base, as well as a LARGE military retiree population. Large cities like this with people's income taking a drastic hit could cause devastation in these cities.

Many people are under the assumption that Civil Servants can't be fired and that they are already receiving good benefits...well, the insurances...the member must pay a premium for, union dues must be paid for, so while the benefits are nice, many companies that are not government offer equally as nice packages. And civil servants can be fired...if they don't do the job, they get written up and several write ups is grounds for termination. Civil servants also have 1 year probation periods, unlike many straight civilian jobs with their 90 day probation periods. Many positions are also paid less than there civilian counterparts.

Also consider the impact of these government offices being closed to the public. Or how about this...the economic impact it will have when the people directly affected by this STOP spending and buckle down in order to make ends meet during a rough period.

So stop the whining about how good Civil Servants have it and get your facts straight. A furlough is not good for anyone. It WILL affect more than just civil servants.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,039 times
NEOM1226:

You make good points. There are up's and downs to being Civil Servants. I am GS also and yes, people assume our bene's are free...they are not. Our support by the union...also not free...I pay member dues. I could most likely get paid more working a regular civilian job. AND I could do it from home and be more available to my children. So yes, there are ups and downs to be civil service. I agree w/ you whole heartedly.

Last edited by MJL975; 03-02-2011 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Left out who reply was to.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM

520 posts, read 1,001,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That was a farce. Government employees should be treated the same as private sector. If there is no work or no money "in the bank" to pay the employees, they get laid off. Period.

And yes, I am mad, because it's my tax dollars paying for people to sit on their asses getting paid for nothing for no other reason that they work for the government. Until we start running government with a little common sense, this country will never recover.
I've been gone but seems as though I missed all of the fun.

Just to play devil's advocate, private sector and government are two different universes. Why not treat professional athletes the same as teachers? You may as well ask why people in Florida don't have to pay income taxes and enjoy 70 degree weather, year-round, and people in New York pay high income taxes and get snowed on every winter? You can always change residences; and you can always change where you work. It's one of the pros to working in that industry. Trust me, there are cons to the government that are not being focused on - I'm sure there is a reason why most have not chosen to dedicate their careers to the Federal government.

When the economy was great, I had friends who talked to me as if I did not have a career. It took years for me to catch up with them. But, now that a gov't career is proving advantageous in this market, there are people who have a problem with that.

If people want gov't to be treated like private industry, then they are severely underpaid if you compare them to the financial institutions on Wall Street, to contractors such as SAIC, Deloitte and others, and severely underpaid to IT companies like Google, Microsoft, and Oracle. Who, or what business entity, is the functioning equivalent to the Federal government to be a benchmark for pay?

When the economy picks up and the stock market skyrockets, and all of the paper millionaires come back as their company stock soars, or they get their 5-figure annual bouses, I hope people can look back on how government employees were viewed as being overpaid, overvalued leaches who supposedly are exempt from tithing to USA.

I think we should all ban together and not bash each other for choosing our professional paths. I feel the struggle of people out of work or unhappy in their jobs and wish them nothing but success and strength during these economic times. Stay strong, everyone, and let's work together and not let the idiots who won a popularity contest (politicians) divide us worker-bees. I'm pretty sure Democratic Congressman Heath Shuler's professional football savings and notoriety as an NFL QB helped him to get elected. I'm an Independent Democrat, so I guess I can say that with love and peace for Heath. Sorry, Heath; just trying to prove a point.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,897,814 times
No shutdown for now. The Senate just passed a continuing resolution for the next two weeks.

Senate passes bill to avert government shutdown. What happens now? - CSMonitor.com

Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM

471 posts, read 817,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Nice try with the scare tactics, but I'm fairly confident (enough to not research) that government furloughs don't effect essential services like the prison system, military, customs and border patrol, FBI, CIA, the list goes on.

And IF the folks that are furloughed for a few days or week, I really can't believe they havwill be paid, I mean WTF? We have no money, yet we can continue to pay people to be at home? That is the problem with the federal government being allowed to print their own money, and is why we are paying $3/gal for gas right now.
No scare tactic. Just a fact. I work there. If I don't get paid I have to go find another job to pay my bills. So, do I leave the doors open or closed when I leave? Do we put the inmates in their cages to starve or turn them loose to fend for themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment