Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,079 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here has been helped by a temp agency? I have been out of work for over a year. I have registered with 4 agencies in my area of San Bernardino, CA. They are
Kimco
AppleOne
Arrow Staffing
Kelly Services

I check in with them via email. I usually hear nothing from them until today. I received this email from Kelly Services:

What are you doing to look for work? You need to be spending from 8-5 each day looking for work…….internet…go out and just walk into businesses as well. If you have that kinda of activity you should be getting at least 2 interviews a week. Do not sit and wait at home. The economy is picking up and employers are starting to hire and you will miss the boat unless you are standing at the dock."

After I received this email, I went to the Kelly website to check out jobs advertised. Guess what, most jobs listed were over 6 months old! If things are picking up that much, where are the new listings?
I feel like sending a nasty email to this person.

I am just venting today!!! But really, does anyone know about these temp agencies and how can they still be in business with no employers signing up with them?

Over 8 years ago, the temp agencies did help me find work but I was also younger then too!! I am over 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM

623 posts, read 1,599,687 times
Ummmm...... You just posted this exact word for word post yesterday but titled it something different. Read those responses.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,672 times
Hi ,
I know what you mean been out of work for about 1 1/2 yrs.
I'm 57, the older you are the harder it is to find work no matter
how much experience you have . Have you tried checking craigslist job section?
i have had some interviews with companies contacted through them.
Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Count David; 01-04-2012 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: advertising, did the same on the san bern/riverside forum

Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM

378 posts, read 702,509 times
Agencies are bloated with contractors. They put out these wonderful ads for jobs that don't exist just to keep their applicant pool healthy. They entice you with (oh yeah we have all kinds of [insert specialty here] jobs, and they make an appointment for you to come in and go through their hiring process. Then as soon as you leave their offices you become one of [insert high number here] contractors they have on the books. It has actually been like this even before this recession.

I've learned to not rely on getting placed by any agencies. They talk a big game to get you in the door but that's about it. What they are really focusing on is the corporate client. If you don't fit what their client needs you're not getting a call.

Now I have worked with agencies (I am actually currently on a long term job with one and they recruited me, I didn't contact them) and received jobs but (and especially in this recession), they aren't in business to place you -- they are in business for their corporate clients. If you happen to get placed well that's just icing on your cake.

You can't rely on agencies to get you back into the employment field. They are but only one option of many. While it sucks that the account rep is giving you advice about your own job search, this is exactly what you should be doing. Relying solely on them will just get you upset, discouraged, and out of the job market even longer. If they call you for an assignment, by all means take it, but don't expect them too. That way if it happens, it's a nice suprise.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,556,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
Agencies are bloated with contractors. They put out these wonderful ads for jobs that don't exist just to keep their applicant pool healthy. They entice you with (oh yeah we have all kinds of [insert specialty here] jobs, and they make an appointment for you to come in and go through their hiring process. Then as soon as you leave their offices you become one of [insert high number here] contractors they have on the books. It has actually been like this even before this recession.

I've learned to not rely on getting placed by any agencies. They talk a big game to get you in the door but that's about it. What they are really focusing on is the corporate client. If you don't fit what their client needs you're not getting a call.

Now I have worked with agencies (I am actually currently on a long term job with one and they recruited me, I didn't contact them) and received jobs but (and especially in this recession), they aren't in business to place you -- they are in business for their corporate clients. If you happen to get placed well that's just icing on your cake.

You can't rely on agencies to get you back into the employment field. They are but only one option of many. While it sucks that the account rep is giving you advice about your own job search, this is exactly what you should be doing. Relying solely on them will just get you upset, discouraged, and out of the job market even longer. If they call you for an assignment, by all means take it, but don't expect them too. That way if it happens, it's a nice suprise.

Well that's not quite true about "if you don't fit their client needs you're not getting a call".

Many times temp agencies will send out a warm body just to fill the position and get the commission. In fact many of the temp agencies are staffed with twenty somethings playing office dress up. They don't have a clue as to what type of business their client is running or what the actual position entails.

I agree that it is all about the client(or getting the client's money) and I wouldn't rely on a temp agency to find you a full time job. They work best for people who are running out of UE benefits and need something to tide them over until they can find something permanent.

But a temp agency will send out someone regardless of whether or not they match the job and many times the temp is told the job is one thing and finds out it is something else. Because the rep at the temp agency hasn't a clue as to what their client does.

They just want to fill that position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment