Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
I have a 4 year degree(Management), am black, not a woman, and have been seemingly shut out of the job market since I graduated(2007).

My white male neighbor(in his 40s) lost his job once, but gained another one in 8 months.

Are you sure white males are shut out of the job market by affirmative action?

So many other variables involved, it would be crazy to imply prejudice was the reason. Experience, special skills, salary, connections, etc could be reasons why he got a job in eight months.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Logic would dictate that with lower post secondary educational attainment statistics, that those who attain a bachelors or higher would have an easier time getting their foot in the door. A 70% dropout rate should leave 30% left. Only half of all students finish college overall. That leaves 15%, if that. So, if affirmative action is really scraping 2-10% of the lowest performing white males, as charles and proudmommy may suggest, where is this happening?

Then again, those who benefit most form affirmative action and welfare are white women.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So many other variables involved, it would be crazy to imply prejudice was the reason. Experience, special skills, salary, connections, etc could be reasons why he got a job in eight months.

I am aware of that, but do you know of any white males who factually know they were denied a job due to minority(not gender) preference who have more than a 2 year college education? And how long were they unemployed?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

So many other variables involved, it would be crazy to imply affirmative action was the reason. Experience, special skills, salary, connections, etc could be reasons why the other person got a job in eight months.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
The last position I filled came down to two people, a black/Hispanic female and a while female. The white female won ONLY because the minority female had a conflict that would have kept them from being able to travel for the first six months of hire. (The job requires 50% travel) Other than that, I would have hired the minority female in a New York minute. For the record, being a minority, a female, and over 40 all would have worked in her favor for this particular position.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
Yes I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Can you share your experiences?
Why the heck would you use a "" at the end of your reply to lifesprecious09? Using that smilie implies that you would be happy to hear of her tribulations in finding a job.

Otherwise, at my workplace, I have seen no discrimination against job applicants who happen to be black. As long as they meet all the qualifications of the posted job, they are seriously considered for employment.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The last position I filled came down to two people, a black/Hispanic female and a while female. The white female won ONLY because the minority female had a conflict that would have kept them from being able to travel for the first six months of hire. (The job requires 50% travel) Other than that, I would have hired the minority female in a New York minute. For the record, being a minority, a female, and over 40 all would have worked in her favor for this particular position.
Which do you fell was more qualified for the position; the black female, or the white female?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
Forget it.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Which do you fell was more qualified for the position; the black female, or the white female?
It was pretty much a toss up. The white female had more specific experience in the industry, the black female had a broad skillset as well as experience working with a diverse demographic.

I felt the minority female had much more experience managing a variety of difficult situations--her maturity gave her the leg up, but...

She had a conflict that would have prevented her from being able to fulfill a basic requirement of the job, that is the only reason I didn't hire her.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
I have a 4 year degree(Management), am black, not a woman, and have been seemingly shut out of the job market since I graduated(2007).

My white male neighbor(in his 40s) lost his job once, but gained another one in 8 months.

Are you sure white males are shut out of the job market by affirmative action?
Even if you factor out all variables other than race (such as career field, demand, etc.) I would think that, for many jobs, someone with a fair number of years of experience will likely be seen as a more qualified candidate than a recent graduate with little to no post-graduate employment history.

I know a few people who have graduated in the past few years who are having difficulty landing that first job. One who graduated with an architecture degree in 2008 has been working at Target for the past 2 years because he has been unable to find work in his field of study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment