U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Northwest side of San Antonio
2,846 posts, read 3,535,834 times
Reputation: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I would still file for unemployment: you can be terminated and/or fired & receive it; if no one was getting "terminated" these days, there'd be no one collecting UE!
I already did and they denied it. My supervisors covered all their bases by having warning and probationary letters all signed and everything. I tried to claim that it was everything under the sun from looking at people wrong to actually just being a bit wrong in some instances, but it didn't work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Just tell them "It did not work out", simple............another way of stating "conflict with _______", or "it was not a good fit". All of these will get you through the application process in a positive way and then have your speech ready for when you go into interviews.

My husband had gotten terminated in AL, had lots of interviews and has gotten a good paying job by using the "it was not a good fit" line.
I hope so. That's what I was planning on using, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to get grilled for using that line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 AM
 
537 posts, read 644,414 times
Reputation: 387
I agree with the posters who say be honest but with an explanation.

Btw, you can explain it in a way that does not make your ex-employer look bad. You never want to bad-mouth an ex-employer in an application or an interview.

You can spin it in a way that indicates bad fit, non-existent promotion opportunities, communication issues, anything but plainly saying they were jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,648 posts, read 9,720,494 times
Reputation: 3117
Actually, I'd consider doing this. Bottom line is this: You tell the truth and the employer doesn't like what you say, you don't get the job. You lie and somehow they do find out.....you either get to explain or you're gone. Basically, it can be a "no win" situation. People keep saying "don't lie"......well, my feeling is, "a person's got to do what they got to do"! Don't start ripping me apart in this Thread......I'm NOT telling anyone they should lie on the resume/app, but I have/had to and nothing ever happened.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just say NO and go on. If they can find out on their own, they will, but probably won't. You kill your chances forever of getting a job if you say Yes, regardless of the reason, there's simply too much competetion out there for an employer to listen to your story, dig for the truth, etc, knowing he will be getting a twisted version regardless of what he does. Say NO and hope it slips under the radar.

why you left? Just say personal reasons or family reasons or something simple. Take your cue from the length of the answer blank---if they give you 2 inches of answer space, they don't expect your whole life story. If you over explain they will think you're hiding something, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 04:21 PM
 
Location: SoCal
50 posts, read 50,301 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just say NO and go on. If they can find out on their own, they will, but probably won't. You kill your chances forever of getting a job if you say Yes, regardless of the reason, there's simply too much competetion out there for an employer to listen to your story, dig for the truth, etc, knowing he will be getting a twisted version regardless of what he does. Say NO and hope it slips under the radar.

why you left? Just say personal reasons or family reasons or something simple. Take your cue from the length of the answer blank---if they give you 2 inches of answer space, they don't expect your whole life story. If you over explain they will think you're hiding something, too.
I agree!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,644 posts, read 8,597,115 times
Reputation: 6226
I was once "let go" during the first month of employment. Back in 1971 I was so excited to get a job in the advertising department of a company that sells steaks thru mail (now on line) in Omaha, NE. I had a fresh degree in journalism, and was cute enough to be Miss McGregger during weekends (wearing a short kilt & selling golf shirts!) and the company was 1/2 mile from my house. I could walk or ride my bike. My boss had decided he didn't need "Personnel's" help with recruitment and did his own interviewing. He liked my degree and that I wore short kilts for a retail side job.... He needed a secretary but also wanted someone who could help with copywriting. Right off the bat, my riding bicycle to work didn't fit with the image he had for an exec's secretary. This guy was in the middle of a divorce and had a hottie GF on the side. The boss wanted me to "think for myself" and just loved the copywriting work I did for him ...sooooo when he told me to make travel plans for him and GF to take a Vegas trip.....and gave me his desired departure/arrival times, I didn't select his preferred times b/c the trip was about $1500 less expensive (a fortune back then) with the times I booked. So he told me it wasn't working out. It was one of the most beneficial experiences I have had in my professional life. But, must admit, I never even put that job on an application or resume when I was searching for a job. Back then, it was really a lot more difficult for employers to conduct background searches. But these days I would probably admit to the episode and the reason I would say is ..... I could sell the steak but not the sizzle for a boss going thru midlife crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
 
40,220 posts, read 43,061,503 times
Reputation: 25231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Wow, really? Because if you do get hired and they find out they can fire you for lying on the application and you're right back where you started. That's really the right thing to do.
They'll only use that as an excuse to fire you if you're not working out. As a matter of fact, when companies want to fire someone, they'll specifically research an initial application (even if it was filled out years earlier) looking for any legal reason if the person is in a protected class. But if your employment is going well, they often will disregard it if it comes to their attention at a future date. You have to weigh the risks for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
My husband had gotten terminated in AL, had lots of interviews and has gotten a good paying job by using the "it was not a good fit" line.
The reason "it was not a good fit" is a good explanation is because it doesn't blame anyone. It doesn't look bitter. It doesn't look incompetent. It looks like someone who knows how to answer difficult questions in a politically correct manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
 
5,071 posts, read 5,550,621 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, I've resigned and been terminated. If I run into that question, I reply with a "yes" and explaination of....left due to weather or moving out of the State.......which was true. Have never been forced into resigning though. If a question comes up "ever been terminated", I'm smart, I say "no". Resigning from a job is done for different reasons and not all bad. At 61 yrs old now, have never had a problem in the past with explaining why I left a position.

They can't find out anyways with all the privacy laws, etc.

Besides a little like my uncle, now deceased. he never graudated high school, due to family problems, etc. he came to Detroit seeking factory work, didn't require even basic literacy. they asked if he was a high school graduate. I told him to say yes, since it was another state, highly unlikely they would check. If they asked for a diploma, well, back off and look elsewhere.

he got the job, and worked faithfully for 40 years for them. Yes, at any time they could have fired him for lying on an application, but what choice did he really have? Who did he hurt? Oh, I know, i will get flames for this, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 AM
 
Location: NY
749 posts, read 1,490,391 times
Reputation: 477
I was terminated from my last job-under Civil Service Law 73-for health reasons. After breaking my ankle in 3 places and dislocating it, it took over a year for it to heal enough to be allowed to work again-also I had to re-learn to walk again on top of it all. But being it's my driving foot and I drove a school bus, I couldn't pass the Federal DOT physical. So, yes I was terminated-technically. But I also explain it was because I didn't have the Dr's permission to try to work again since the ankle fracture was slow to heal. I have medical documentation to back up my loss of employment. I am up front about why I lost my job, I have nothing to hide. I think the issue I have is that possibly employers think I maybe a liability-I walk with a very noticeable limp-even if I am only applying for desk work these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,617 times
Reputation: 10
I was recently terminated for a accident at work. Althought it was not my complete fault I was terminated because I was drivng the forklift. Damages was probaly about $300 worth and no one was around. I will admit partial blame because the item that I moved was still in the staging and no one should have cut the banding material around it and took a item that was to be expedited. When I went to move the pallet did not look to see if if was still properly secured and unit fell off. Would a HR personal say that this is a reason to disqualify my resume from being look at?

I'm in a situation at this moment where I have no reponses from anybody and I have been truthful. Doesn't intergrity matter anymore? I waiting for appeal from the employment office and have no money except to cash in on my 401K. From other post i have read people are forced into (gotta do want they gotta do) I really don't want to do that. But! Doesn't HR managers know that accidents happening and that people who learn from there mistake or given a chance for telling the truth on the resume become the best worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,617 times
Reputation: 10
After several minutes of my last post and talking to my wife we came up with:

Honesty is the best policy-----BULL****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top