Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 54,057 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a position with a major corporation. After two phone interviews, I went in for the first round where I met with four executives. Everything seemed to go well as I was advised that I would be called back to meet with the most senior level executive for the second/ final round. I received a follow up call from HR and we scheduled the final interview for next week. That was three days ago. Today I got a call from HR saying that next week's interview had been canceled and that the job was on hold as the department is now reevaluating the position and redetermining its requirements. I was informed that if the hiring group reaches a decision to keep the position I would receive a call in a couple weeks to reschedule the final interview. Fine, I thought. Then I checked the job search sites and the position is freshly re-posted today. Has the job been put on hold or are they just putting me on hold while searching for more / better candidates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,507 times
I am going through something very similar with another company, at least I hope it is another company (LOL)
What can you do, right, I have decide I am not running anybody down, keep your resume out there and plug away

Good Luck

Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,946 times
Considering how many interviews you went on, it would be very strange for the company to tell you the position is on hold if that isn't the truth. Give the company 2 weeks then move on if they haven't contacted you. Regarding the position re-listed on a job site, that doesn't say much (if anything) about the current status of the position. Many companies post ads for positions that are not available just so they have a resume pool to look at in the future. The company you interviewed with also does not know if your last interview would go well, if you would agree to the salary/benefits offered, or if you would wait a long time for the job to open up again; everything considered, it's in the company's best interest to look for other candidates with the position on hold.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 54,057 times
Thanks for the advice. I feel better about the situation.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeebee2010 View Post
Then I checked the job search sites and the position is freshly re-posted today. Has the job been put on hold or are they just putting me on hold while searching for more / better candidates?
Hard to say what their reason is for doing that but read on .....

The same thing (sort of) happened to me last year. I applied and interviewed for a position but never heard a thing. About two months after that interview, I received another notification for a similar job at the same location. Curiosity got the better of me so I called the department. (This was a state govt job)

I asked them if this was the same job they had been recruiting for two months prior. The person put me on hold for a moment to inquire and after coming back on the line, told me it was and encouraged me to send in my application. I asked if they could tell me the reason why it was being reposted and the person told me it was because they didn't find the necessary qualifications in any of the candidates they interviewed.

Of course, my confidence took a hit but I quickly regrouped. I told her that I had already interviewed for that same position and that I was actually one of the candidates they decided didn't have the qualifications they were looking for. I said to her, "If you didn't like me then, you won't like me now because I still have the same skills and qualifications as I did two months ago." (Just to be clear, I wasn't at all snippy or rude to her. In fact, I was extremely cordial and just stating the facts.)

I know I shouldn't have said it but sometimes there are those moments in life when you feel you just have to say it.

Before ending the call, this person told me I was welcome to reapply for the position. I said thank, "thank you very much, I just might do that."

But, I didn't.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 7,785 times
Ok, I received a message stating the position was on hold, What is the best reply to that HR rep

Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tralpen View Post
Ok, I received a message stating the position was on hold, What is the best reply to that HR rep

Thank you for letting me know. I really would like to work for your organization, if this position opens back up, or another suitable position becomes open, I really would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,913 times
Wife's going through a similar situation. Had a first interview, was scheduled to have a second one, and now it's on hold for a while. Things happen. Companies miss their profit targets. Bad weather. Someone on the hiring committee gets sick. Life. Just keep moving on.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,559 times
From my experience, chances are they're looking for better candidates. There's nothing anywhere that says they have to be honest with you.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,188 times
I had interviews canceled on me four times in a period of 4 years. I was always told the same thing as you were, but the outcome was always different.

- 1 time the position was actually being re-evaluated and they didn't hire anyone.
- 1 time the company just ended up hiring someone else without telling me anything
- 1 time the company put it on hold due to focusing resources somewhere else (the company's director left and all hands were on deck filling that position), after they hired a director, they resumed the interview process with me, but it took a couple months of nothing before things started up again.

Also, another time I had an interview canceled last second after some preliminary interviews because ALL OF A SUDDEN the team now thought I WASN'T a good fit for the position. It was so weird because the week prior they rushed my interview up 2 weeks because they were telling me how I was such a good fit. I remember I was really thrown for a loop with that one... Maybe they just found someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search