U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 AM

3,095 posts, read 4,072,461 times

Advertisements

I'm sure many of you have been in this position, either resign or we'll terminate you. I was recently put in this position after my company found every single reason under the sun to terminate me. Reasons ranged from not signing papers to putting sticky notes of papers. Instead of resigning, thinking that I may be able to get the unemployment, I asked them to terminate me. Of course, they covered all their bases giving me warning statements and all that fancy stuff so I don't qualify for unemployment. So, needless to say I'm not getting unemployment (but that's neither here nor there....I saw that coming)

Now I'm facing the dreaded question on employment applications, "Have you been asked to resign from a position or were you terminate?"

How do I answer this question without it sounding like I just plain old cannot stand the company and they are complete jerks? How have y'all approached this in the past?

I'm also afraid that if I put this down that my application will just be thrown in the trash anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM

5,682 posts, read 10,504,262 times
Well, I've resigned and been terminated. If I run into that question, I reply with a "yes" and explaination of....left due to weather or moving out of the State.......which was true. Have never been forced into resigning though. If a question comes up "ever been terminated", I'm smart, I say "no". Resigning from a job is done for different reasons and not all bad. At 61 yrs old now, have never had a problem in the past with explaining why I left a position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm sure many of you have been in this position, either resign or we'll terminate you. I was recently put in this position after my company found every single reason under the sun to terminate me. Reasons ranged from not signing papers to putting sticky notes of papers. Instead of resigning, thinking that I may be able to get the unemployment, I asked them to terminate me. Of course, they covered all their bases giving me warning statements and all that fancy stuff so I don't qualify for unemployment. So, needless to say I'm not getting unemployment (but that's neither here nor there....I saw that coming)

Now I'm facing the dreaded question on employment applications, "Have you been asked to resign from a position or were you terminate?"

How do I answer this question without it sounding like I just plain old cannot stand the company and they are complete jerks? How have y'all approached this in the past?

I'm also afraid that if I put this down that my application will just be thrown in the trash anyway.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM

6,882 posts, read 10,130,252 times
If your future employer will be able to find out that you were discharged from a recent job, you may as well admit that you were discharged from your last position. So you better start working on the spin you put on that tale.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM

2,063 posts, read 3,137,642 times
Default tell the truth...

Quote:

I had an instance way in my past where I was given the option of 'resigning' or being 'terminated' (way to complicated a situation to discuss here)...I choose to be terminiated in order to receive unemployment benefits. To each his/her own.
Koale

Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I had an instance way in my past where I was given the option of 'resigning' or being 'terminated' (way to complicated a situation to discuss here)...I choose to be terminiated in order to receive unemployment benefits. To each his/her own.
Koale
So what would you you put on an application if you were asked about why you left that particular position (in 1-2 sentences no need to elaborate)? I'm struggling with what to put on the few applications i have needed to fill out so far.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,665,418 times
Quote:
So what would you you put on an application if you were asked about why you left that particular position (in 1-2 sentences no need to elaborate)? I'm struggling with what to put on the few applications i have needed to fill out so far.
Just say NO and go on. If they can find out on their own, they will, but probably won't. You kill your chances forever of getting a job if you say Yes, regardless of the reason, there's simply too much competetion out there for an employer to listen to your story, dig for the truth, etc, knowing he will be getting a twisted version regardless of what he does. Say NO and hope it slips under the radar.

why you left? Just say personal reasons or family reasons or something simple. Take your cue from the length of the answer blank---if they give you 2 inches of answer space, they don't expect your whole life story. If you over explain they will think you're hiding something, too.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just say NO and go on.

Wow, really? Because if you do get hired and they find out they can fire you for lying on the application and you're right back where you started. That's really the right thing to do.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM

4,232 posts, read 8,327,545 times
Quote:

I would still file for unemployment: you can be terminated and/or fired & receive it; if no one was getting "terminated" these days, there'd be no one collecting UE!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,058,471 times
Tell the truth. Simply check the box and under reasons put: 'for using post-it notes'. Some might pass you over for that, but most will see that for what it is.

Or you could state 'incompatible with management' or something like that if you wish.

Don't lie.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM

5,430 posts, read 4,727,591 times
Just tell them "It did not work out", simple............another way of stating "conflict with _______", or "it was not a good fit". All of these will get you through the application process in a positive way and then have your speech ready for when you go into interviews.

My husband had gotten terminated in AL, had lots of interviews and has gotten a good paying job by using the "it was not a good fit" line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment