U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM

1,646 posts, read 1,292,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalake View Post
Work ethic = very strong. Career ambition = overwhelming. A huge amount of my identity (too much, in fact) comes from having a "great career."

That said, I've noticed that people who less ambitious and obtain a job where they "work to live" are often happier than more ambitious people, provided of course, that their job is sufficient to take care of most of their needs and wants.
I am more happier that my less ambitious friends I believe , because I dont have money worries.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM

96 posts, read 178,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am more happier that my less ambitious friends I believe , because I dont have money worries.
Yes, I definitely agree that financial problems will make someone very unhappy. I was thinking more of my friends who have relatively stable government jobs that pay enough where they can live comfortably and do things they enjoy, even if they can't buy everything they want,own the best condo/house, and have to budget carefully. Many don't have any real ambition to try and rise up in government service or to use their expertise to transition back to the private sector and climb the ladder there, because they're happy with the balance they currently have. Likewise with my friends who are content with what some might consider "lesser" careers in smaller cities. They have no desire to try and make it in NYC, DC, etc. They are all definitely happier than I am at this point.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM

1,646 posts, read 1,292,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalake View Post
Yes, I definitely agree that financial problems will make someone very unhappy. I was thinking more of my friends who have relatively stable government jobs that pay enough where they can live comfortably and do things they enjoy, even if they can't buy everything they want,own the best condo/house, and have to budget carefully. Many don't have any real ambition to try and rise up in government service or to use their expertise to transition back to the private sector and climb the ladder there, because they're happy with the balance they currently have. Likewise with my friends who are content with what some might consider "lesser" careers in smaller cities. They have no desire to try and make it in NYC, DC, etc. They are all definitely happier than I am at this point.

I have a lot of friends that can not travel, can not buy a house, don't drive a new car like me and are always worried about money. I know I am much happier in the sense I don't worry so much and I enjoy very nice things in my daily life. Like my car.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,797,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I have a lot of friends that can not travel, can not buy a house, don't drive a new car like me and are always worried about money. I know I am much happier in the sense I don't worry so much and I enjoy very nice things in my daily life. Like my car.
I guess it depends on the person you are and the life you want.

I don’t have expensive taste ($100 for a pair of shoes to me is outrageous ) and I appreciate the small things. My bf is always complaining about how our apartment is falling apart, but I tell him I am glad we have a roof over our head and ask would he prefer to be like the people of Christchurch, New Zealand who lost everything?

I work for a small company and cannot take more than 1 or 2 weeks off at a time, so when I travel it is usually a small holiday, which is fine by me. I don’t think I’d be able to go back if I was away for a month! hehe

I don’t own a car by choice. I have my licence but I only got it because my bf hassled me into it when I was 25. It’s good to have in case of an emergency, but I hate driving. I don’t feel confident and there are too many crazies on the roads. Waiting for a bus or train isn’t always a joy, but public transport around my area is right at our doorstep so it’s all good.

I am saving for a home, but for now I am happy renting. To be honest just thinking about all the time and expenses that go into owning a home (in Aus anyway) gives me a headache.

Basically on the little money I make, I have no expenses taking it away so I can live a comfortable life.

Don't get me wrong though... if I won $20 million tomorrow I would never work again!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM

3,990 posts, read 2,423,548 times
My work ethic is strong-I am always at work...even though 90% of my company doesn't work more than 40 hours...there is a lot of work to do but not many of us see a reason to do more....I already received a nice 90 day raise 3.5% and am hoping they will give me an annual increase in June (this is when everyone gets one). I also want to be promoted. I grew up not having much so I believe work hard=money. Is it working? Umm we will see

Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Status: "Land of peaches: not mountains, but better than beaches!" (set 9 days ago)

343 posts, read 327,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
My work ethic is ungodly, but only towards things I'm passionate about.
Same here. Former bosses have remarked on my "uneven performance." Give me something interesting and challenging, I'm all over that. If it's crap or make-work disguised as a goal, forget that.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,241,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
In high school my sister would spend most evenings working a part time job. There was no way I would do the same, I enjoyed my freedom and time to myself too much.

I couldnít wait to leave high school, and as soon as it was over I had no desire to further my education at all. I didnít attend university, college or anything like that. I just went out and got a job.

In my job there is no room for promotion and that is okay with me. I don't make much money, but itís cushy and I love the people I work with.

I have often looked into doing a course in something but if I did it would have to be a very small course (i.e. not over years) and not take up much of my time. I hate the thought of spending my weekends studying and doing assignments.

Basically, my work ethic is rather poor.

Whatís yours like?
Im not sure that would be called poor work ethic. You just want to spend your life doing other things than going to school and make lots of money. You rather make a little money, but have lots of free time with friends and family, than working all the time making good money. If it works for you, that is great.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 PM

875 posts, read 1,056,084 times
If I'm interested and engaged, I have a very strong work ethic. If something becomes too routine or repetitive, or if I become disengaged for other reasons, it's hard for me to stay focused. I no longer give 100% and I'm usually spending energy finding the next thing I find interesting and engaging. Usually by that time I'm so efficient at the routine of what I'm doing that it doesn't really show up in productivity.

This is a cycle that happens over the course of 2-4 years or more, depending on various things. This is one of the reasons I loved school though, especially college. What you are doing and thinking about changes not only every semester, but varies from class to class. I find this sort of variety of perspective and mental challenge engrossing.

Jobs, however, usually don't vary that much and I find that unless the role shifts and evolves over time or I move into new roles, I usually start really losing interest around the 3-4 year mark if the work wasn't something I loved or found quite interesting to begin with.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,797,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Im not sure that would be called poor work ethic. You just want to spend your life doing other things than going to school and make lots of money. You rather make a little money, but have lots of free time with friends and family, than working all the time making good money. If it works for you, that is great.
Yep, sounds about right!

As I have said I don't plan on having a family so there is nothing for me to really save for. A house would be nice someday but I won't die if I don't have one.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,241,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Yep, sounds about right!

As I have said I don't plan on having a family so there is nothing for me to really save for. A house would be nice someday but I won't die if I don't have one.
Having a house is not in everybody's dreams. You could save money for traveling instead, explore the word, live cheap and have little responsibilities. Why be tied up to a house, family, kids, school, work! Life is more than that and if you have a chance to enjoy the other part of living, I would do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment