Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roythe13th View Post
I am not a flight attendant but I have a friend who is. She works for Delta. She is originally from France and was picked up fairly quickly because she is bilingual. She has been working for close to 2 years in her current position and makes around 28k. Her family still lives in France so she is able to see them more often with extended layovers and she does get to see much of the world but more often she only sees the airport hotel before getting back on a flight. Although 28k can be seen as low, she travels most of the time so she doesn't have a lot of stuff and lives out of hotels which are either paid by the airline or she pays very little for so there are perks too. For the right person, it can be a great career.
Ironically Roythe-- most "business" travel is that way. I go to some pretty cool places but I generally see the hotel, the office building, some nice restaurants, and airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
How did you know that? Were you a Flight Attendant?

Also does anyone know if they usually pick someone fluent in another language like in this case, Japanese? If so, which languages do they usually need more than others?
Sure they pick people with other languages, but you have to understand that they may have vacancies where they need the bilingual English-Japanese speakers.

They may not have openings for other language needs. At my mom's place they have been hiring chinese and japanese speakers for awhile (hard to get them) although they have not hired regular english speakers for a good year or so.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
How did you know that? Were you a Flight Attendant?

Also does anyone know if they usually pick someone fluent in another language like in this case, Japanese? If so, which languages do they usually need more than others?
I'm a million miler and have several friends who are flight attendants.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Add to the list deckhand, DirectTV installer, IT tech, firefighter, railroad conductor, personal banker, laborer, landscaper, carpenter ..

Employment counseling!
I agree, this guy seems to be wasting everybody's time by dabbling here and there, without being serious on any one potential vocation.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
I agree, this guy seems to be wasting everybody's time by dabbling here and there, without being serious on any one potential vocation.
Exactly. I think he needs more than an employment counselor!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,000 times
Do you get loaded with mileage so that you can travel to anywhere you want with free tickets during your vacation times?

Can you transfer some of your mileage for your relatives?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,000 times
So the salary varies. If you get hired by Delta what salary could you expect right away and 2nd year 3rd year and so on?
How long is the schooling?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Do you get loaded with mileage so that you can travel to anywhere you want with free tickets during your vacation times?

Can you transfer some of your mileage for your relatives?
Oh, I'm pretty sure you get thousands of miles over the course of a year and can travel pretty much all over the world for nothing, probably even First Class. Your second cousins may not qualify where mileage transfer is concerned but I'd guess your nearest and dearest would be eligible.

Quote:
So the salary varies. If you get hired by Delta what salary could you expect right away and 2nd year 3rd year and so on?
How long is the schooling?
Probably around $80K to start and the schooling is probably only a couple of weeks. I'm guessing the annual increases would be in the 20% range.

Of course I'm no expert and am just guessing here.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when George walks off his job and brainstorms on what career to do next....

Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Oh, I'm pretty sure you get thousands of miles over the course of a year and can travel pretty much all over the world for nothing, probably even First Class. Your second cousins may not qualify where mileage transfer is concerned but I'd guess your nearest and dearest would be eligible.

Probably around $80K to start and the schooling is probably only a couple of weeks. I'm guessing the annual increases would be in the 20% range.

Of course I'm no expert and am just guessing here.
Take 25% of that and you'd be in the ball park...

You don't earn miles as an airline employee, you are given pass travel benefits and it's all non-rev space available. With capacity cut down and load factors as high as they are, it's essentially worthless. I buy tickets when I need to go somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment