Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times

Advertisements

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and go back to school and get a proper education. Finish high school and beyond if you can. It's tough enough for people with degrees so you can't fault employers for not hiring someone without even a high school education when there are so many out there looking for a job...even at the fast food level.

Do whatever you can do.... cut lawns, or other types of jobs. The first step will be stop feeling sorry for yourself and working to improve yourself.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenthelp View Post
Yes, I know the employment agency that I need to go to. This morning I looked into the red cross volunteering thing and it appears it does exist in my area but I don't know if I wanna do that just yet. Yes volunteering would be a waste of time. To me. Maybe it's not to anyone else, but to me it is in alot of ways. So many think volunteering will absolutely guarantee them a shot from whatever they do there on. Even if I volunteer somewhere for a while, how is that significantly different then what the applications I do now? Okay, this kid volunteered somewhere. So did these 4,544 people who also applied to us. Understand what I'm talking about? For the agency I'm planning on seeing what they can do to assist me here. And no, what the job would actually end up being isn't an issue for me. I'm not being picky about this at all. I'm not like others I see in my same situation who say they never worked before but "refuse to work at this place, and fast food" because they are "too good" for that. I'm not like that. I don't care what the job ends up being.
Well ok then, good for you now that is what I want to hear that you are trying just do it, doesn't matter if a million people have the same thing on their apps. it is what you do that matters not what others do. I know it's bleak right now but get yourself out there you would be surprised at how many small business owners or managers etc volunteer and who knows you may end up working side by side with one of them that just happens to be looking for a young healthy guy to work. Not only that the good feeling you will get from helping others will far outweigh all the negativity you are feeling now. As I said before the ball is in your court now run with it.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Why have you shot down EVERY single suggestion given to you? I sincerely doubt you have spent 40 hours a week looking for work, and gone into every single business within a 5 mile radius of your home, and gone to every single free class offered at your local state employment center, filled out the paperwork for Americorps, and gone to Vocational Rehabilitation for assistance. Those tasks alone should take you three or four weeks. I would like to see a post every day or so with the list of places you applied, you should average at least 10 to 15 a day. That is a bare minimum of places you personally went to, then you need to follow up at each place every week until you are employed, in person.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:57 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
I don't live in North Dakota! Your job search in ND is pointless to me.

Just because there are 100 jobs in north dakota doesn't mean they are where I am.
Move.

Literally thousands of other people have.

I'm sure you'll have an excuse for that as well, just like everything else.

Don't have a car? Get a bus ticket. Donate plasma to pay for it. Donate sperm to pay for it as well.

Apply online and call the local companies, if you are able bodied enough some of them will pay for you to come up here. (Both Schlumberger and Halliburton are willing to do this, they also provide housing so you can't complain about that either.)

So what excuses do you have now?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,735 times
Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum and would like to request some assistance.
I never had a job so I would be very appreciative if any of you can recommend some ways for me to get work experience.

Ideally, I'd prefer to find a job with minimum wage pay at least.
Any links you have to job openings would be greatly appreciated.
Dishwasher, Waiter, Flipping Burgers, Newspaper / Food Delivery, Supermarket Stockboy... you name it... No Job Too Big Or Small!
I am a 20 year old male, 6'5 and fit so manual labor is no problem!

Since I live with my parents, I am also willing to do Volunteer work or accept Internship positions without pay just for the work experience.
I know that I can learn a new trade and network thru this process which can lead to a paying job in the future.
Besides, I have no friends and no life so I desperately need something to do with all my free time!

I do have a GED and hope to get a degree in the near future but that's not possible for me at this moment...
Right now, I need to work either for pay or the experience and references to put on my resume.

Life has been kind of difficult for me lately but I am trying to stay optimistic.
Hopefully, you guys and gals can help me out and put me on the right path.

Thanks guys,
-Silenthelp

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
I have a feeling we have all been had here.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM

238 posts, read 696,257 times
I couldn't get through all 18 pages of posts although I do have a few suggestions for you, Silenthelp:

1. Find any Mom and Pop stores in your area and submit a resume to them in person. I know some of these shops in my town still do not have a web presence so no online applications to fill out! (I believe I read that this was an issue for you.)

2. Take some time to join a social group of people. Not only will this help alleviate your loneliness but you will have expanded your personal network! I've had excellent success with locating jobs through my personal and professional networks, as do many others, as not all jobs are advertised. You can search on Craigslist, check Meet Up.com, or just do a search for one of your interests to see what groups are established in your area.

3. Above all else, you must always put a positive spin on your situation. Negatively slowly creeps into other areas of our lives and potential employers will probably catch a whiff of this... I have met people who have lost their jobs and are living in homeless shelters, some of them with children. I also have a friend who may die soon due to a brain tumor that doctors are not sure if they can remove. If you have your health, your family, food, and a roof over your head than you are better off than others out there. Now, with that said, I understand you want to work and an opportunity has not come along yet. Continue to be patient, persistent, and resilient. The economy is beginning to pick up and you should see improvement with regards to job openings.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum and would like to request some assistance.
I never had a job so I would be very appreciative if any of you can recommend some ways for me to get work experience.

Ideally, I'd prefer to find a job with minimum wage pay at least.
Any links you have to job openings would be greatly appreciated.
Dishwasher, Waiter, Flipping Burgers, Newspaper / Food Delivery, Supermarket Stockboy... you name it... No Job Too Big Or Small!
I am a 20 year old male, 6'5 and fit so manual labor is no problem!

Since I live with my parents, I am also willing to do Volunteer work or accept Internship positions without pay just for the work experience.
I know that I can learn a new trade and network thru this process which can lead to a paying job in the future.
Besides, I have no friends and no life so I desperately need something to do with all my free time!

I do have a GED and hope to get a degree in the near future but that's not possible for me at this moment...
Right now, I need to work either for pay or the experience and references to put on my resume.

Life has been kind of difficult for me lately but I am trying to stay optimistic.
Hopefully, you guys and gals can help me out and put me on the right path.

Thanks guys,
-Silenthelp
*saves for future reference*

Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM

60 posts, read 112,121 times
10 to 15 places per day? I don't live in New York City like you do. There's not even that many places around me to apply that many times. I am only qualified for minimum wage which is what I am looking for. I haven't tried walking into independent stores because they are the ones who will most likely say no. They own the place, they work there. TODAY, I walked into the supermarket and approached the manager. Asked for an application and was given one. I was also told that they have alot of applications in their backlog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Stop feeling sorry for yourself and go back to school and get a proper education. Finish high school and beyond if you can. It's tough enough for people with degrees so you can't fault employers for not hiring someone without even a high school education when there are so many out there looking for a job...even at the fast food level.

Do whatever you can do.... cut lawns, or other types of jobs. The first step will be stop feeling sorry for yourself and working to improve yourself.
I have a G.E.D. Never heard of them? Or maybe you've just been living outside wall street all your life. Look it up. This post is so stupid.

Last edited by Silenthelp; 03-08-2011 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
10 to 15 places per day? I don't live in New York City like you do. There's not even that many places around me to apply that many times. I am only qualified for minimum wage which is what I am looking for. I haven't tried walking into independent stores because they are the ones who will most likely say no. They own the place, they work there. TODAY, I walked into the supermarket and approached the manager. Asked for an application and was given one. I was also told that they have alot of applications in their backlog.

I have a G.E.D. Never heard of them? Or maybe you've just been living outside wall street all your life. Look it up. This post is so stupid.
Couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment