Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 PM

156 posts, read 270,163 times

Advertisements

I had been working from home the past few years. But I am on a new project where they require me to come into work because they like people F2F (Face to face). It's been a few months and I haven't been given a place to sit/a cube. There is no space in the building, but there are people continuously quitting. And they have been putting people in another building one block away (which is a hassle when having meetings), but at least it's a place to put my stuff down, purse, briefcase, coat etc. And a place to make phone calls for meetings. I have to have a lot of meetings via conference calls and sharing my desktop so other people can see what I am doing (as i work with lot of people around the country and world).
I don't get an answer about the cube, either no answer or get deflected.

They say all the time that I do an awesome job, I get complimented ALL the time, yet I feel like I'm not valued at all because they won't give me a freakin' cube.

What I am end up doing is reserving a room, but sometimes I can't find a room for the whole day, so I have to reserve multiple rooms in a day. And I have to do this everyday. Sometimes if I can't find one, I just hop around to see what room is empty and hope no one kicks me out bc they had the room reserved. And then I get nervous if I have a call, bc I'm worried I have to end my call. Then I have to drag my stuff out too. It's a real pain.

What do you guys think? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Well you could write them a formal request outlining your needs and schedule a meeting to follow up on the items in your request, and hope that they recognize the urgency in your request and resolve it before the meeting.

But of course, doing so is kind of a bluff. What if they don't fulfill your request? You don't really have any options, other than to quit. Are you willing to do that?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 PM

99 posts, read 375,540 times
Talking Stop hunting for a cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
I had been working from home the past few years. But I am on a new project where they require me to come into work because they like people F2F (Face to face). It's been a few months and I haven't been given a place to sit/a cube. There is no space in the building, but there are people continuously quitting. And they have been putting people in another building one block away (which is a hassle when having meetings), but at least it's a place to put my stuff down, purse, briefcase, coat etc. And a place to make phone calls for meetings. I have to have a lot of meetings via conference calls and sharing my desktop so other people can see what I am doing (as i work with lot of people around the country and world).
I don't get an answer about the cube, either no answer or get deflected.

They say all the time that I do an awesome job, I get complimented ALL the time, yet I feel like I'm not valued at all because they won't give me a freakin' cube.

What I am end up doing is reserving a room, but sometimes I can't find a room for the whole day, so I have to reserve multiple rooms in a day. And I have to do this everyday. Sometimes if I can't find one, I just hop around to see what room is empty and hope no one kicks me out bc they had the room reserved. And then I get nervous if I have a call, bc I'm worried I have to end my call. Then I have to drag my stuff out too. It's a real pain.

What do you guys think? What would you do?

Don't bring a purse, and don't bring a briefcase, and simply hang your coat in the break room.

Seriously. In place of a purse, simply wrap some currency around your ID card, shove that in a pocket with your house key and your car key, and you're all set.

Stop searching for a room. Simply set up shop with your laptop in a chair in the waiting area, and start work... then route calls through Skype on your laptop.

I'm not joking. End your stress. It's not your responsibility to hunt around for a cube to work in. So stop hunting.

Simply set up shop in the waiting area or the lobby, and go about your business.

If someone in management feels that it's unusual for an employee to be working from the lobby, then perhaps they might look into getting that person a cube.

But, in the end, if they don't care then neither should you. You should never, ever, ever, care more about the job than your boss does.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Some ideas:

*use ANY empty cube, every day just look. Make sure your boss is aware that you are spending paid time looking for a workspace daily

*set up your workspace in kitchens/break rooms on days you cannot find an empty cube

*try to set up your workspace near where the boss will witness this musical workstation dilemma

*Send an email to the department responsible for cubes/helpdesk/etc. and copy your boss asking for a place to land for a couple of months

*Ask your boss what days are critical that you be in the office with the idea that on non-critical days you'll once again work from home where you have a desk and phone readily available......

*Contrary to another poster's input.....your job should ALWAYS be more important to you than your boss.....

Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 AM

156 posts, read 270,163 times
Some good ideas. But one girl wasn't going to be sitting at her cube for a few months and offered me her cube. So I was happily sitting there. But someone found out and told her to email me and tell me to leave the cube so she can have it back. She later told me she was told to do that by someone.

I'll try some of this other stuff though, good ideas. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 AM

99 posts, read 375,540 times
Smile =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post

*Send an email to the department responsible for cubes/helpdesk/etc. and copy your boss asking for a place to land for a couple of months

*Ask your boss what days are critical that you be in the office with the idea that on non-critical days you'll once again work from home where you have a desk and phone readily available......

Those are also good bits of advice, and I agree with Squirl that you should probably try those ideas first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
*Contrary to another poster's input.....your job should ALWAYS be more important to you than your boss.....
On that part, I have to disagree somewhat.

Sure, you should always care about YOUR job more than the boss does. (ie: the part where you get paid money, and can then spend it on food and rent.)

However, philosophically, you should never care more about THE job than your boss does (ie: the tasks being performed under supervision in exchange for pay.)

If you find yourself in a position where you care more about the performance of the actual tasks than your boss does, then you need to either (a) take your non-caring bosses job away from him, or (b) go into business for yourself and drive your (new) non-caring competitor into bankruptcy with your superior attention to the tasks at hand, OR (c) realize that if the person signing your paychecks isn't paying you to care, then it literally doesn't pay to care.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
We had this problem at my office when we took on freelancers. We made due by people sharing cubes. You could see if someone wants to offer your a side of their cube, it gets pretty cozy but it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment