Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM

340 posts, read 913,869 times

Advertisements

In Michigan? Very comfortable.

Get a house for 35k, put 10k into it, and relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
If you're talking about inner city Detroit, you can go even cheaper.

Buy a house for $10k, put $1k into it, but you will never relax!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

Yeah, but no...

There's a good reason things are so cheap in these low COL places.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
If you are not married, no kids, and not drowning in debt--I would call it working class poor. If you add in the all other aforementioned items...you are poor--end of story.
Sadly, I agree with this.
An income in an urban area where housing isnt cheap, 37,000 isn't enough to own a home with a mortgage worth more than probably $100,000. When adding things like bills, car, fuel, and extremely limited entertainment budgeting, $37,000 just can't cut it on your own. If you get a roomate or s/o that earns equal or great income, then you can set a nice life for yourself.
But single, living alone on 37K? Yikes, gonna be a bumpy ride. Unless you can find housing for $40,000 which nets you around a $200 a month mortgage.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
I didn't read all the posts and this has probably been addressed, but it depends where you live and how many people that amount has to support. A single person in my neck of the woods would be living pretty high on the hog at $36K; even a family of four could get by on it, but without a lot of extras.

But I see you're apparently in Oakland, where the cost of living is much higher which makes all the difference.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:36 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Sadly, I agree with this.
An income in an urban area where housing isnt cheap, 37,000 isn't enough to own a home with a mortgage worth more than probably $100,000. When adding things like bills, car, fuel, and extremely limited entertainment budgeting, $37,000 just can't cut it on your own. If you get a roomate or s/o that earns equal or great income, then you can set a nice life for yourself.
But single, living alone on 37K? Yikes, gonna be a bumpy ride. Unless you can find housing for $40,000 which nets you around a $200 a month mortgage.
BS. You can rent a studio in a blue collar urban area of Chicago for as little as $550/month. Utilities would run about $20 in the winter, and more in the summer. Water and heat is usually included in the cost of rent if radiator heat is used.

I spent less on groceries in Chicago than I did after moving to the suburbs. I was buying ground beef for 0.99/lb in Chicago a year ago. In the suburbs today, I'm paying $2.49/lb, but usually opting for cheaper pork and poultry, sometimes the occasional turkey and gizzards.

Gas in the city is more expensive, but you have the option to ditch the car and spend about $80/month to ride the Metra. I worked in the suburbs where I could get my gas cheaper. I will say, my insurance is pretty cheap here, which surprised me.

Now if you want to buy a house... You're right. Yikes. I could afford a house fine here. It's the taxes that are a real killer. 5K on a modest home is absolutely criminal. But we have government pensions to pay for, something I will never see working in the private sector... And with the way the wages are going, many government jobs are actually paying more than the private sector. At any rate, I would gladly take a lower paying job with the promise of a pension after 20 years. Retiring on a 401K is theoretically possible, but a lot of things can go wrong.

Not everyone is entitled to a house, and income is usually the deciding factor. I will probably work here for a decade, bank as much as possible, and when the stress has finally done me in, I'll move somewhere cheaper and buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
In Michigan? Very comfortable.

When I lived there, I placed several bids for around 24-28K. The investment banks usually beat me to the punch though. Most of those cheaper houses that you can actually buy cheap usually have some problems that need consideration. At that point, you're paying 30K + the costs of repair.

It's also a very up and down place to live. The economy is better these days, but I still have a lot of unemployed or underemployed friends there. I'm glad I left, even if COL and houses are cheap. They are cheap for a reason... A lot of people still can't afford them! But my last year there I made about 40k, with some OT and a couple side gigs. I lived very comfortably and was able to save some money.

I have family there. My dad was trying to convince me to buy some property to rent out, and he could handle the obligations of maintaining the property. Not a bad idea when I think about it...

Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,985 times
for a single person its not poor in most places and far from poverty stricken in all 50 states. it really depends on your field and the fair market value for such to decipher the quality of earnings that you have. you have learned what most new grads/ college grads learn and it feels like a ton of bricks dropped on them when they learn it - a college degree is not the golden ticket that everyone is taught it is....

you have to start somewhere and your salary should increase over time.

good luck.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM

340 posts, read 913,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

I was talking about the blue collar burbs, namely Taylor, Allen Park, Melvindale, and Ecorse.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I am from the suburbs of Detroit but in an upscale area. I live in CA now in a similar area but the cost of living is double and you don't even get the same for your money. This is for renting and for purchasing it would be even more. Also even items like groceries,gas etc are more. Also if a person is making that income but has debt,overspends etc. I know some people who seem to live with just what they need to get by but no extras such as vacations or even cable.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
I only make $36.000-$37,000 a year. It has health benefits also. I kind of feel sad because I do not make a lot of money. I have a college degree, bachelors but could not find a job with it so I went to trade school for a year in a half to learn a trade.

What do you think? I have a roomate so rent does not cost that much and every month I am saving some money, not a lot but it is some. I watch how I spend my money carefully.
Stay single your entire life and never get into debt. You'll be set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment