Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times

Advertisements

Okay, to clear some things up. This is a small company. We're talking less than 50 people here. That is why the president would be involved; she handles all HR decisions as stated in the OP. There are also no regional managers given that we are so extremely small.

I do like revrandy's suggestion as well. I didn't realize that I was coming across as ME, ME, ME, but that's why I asked for your opinions. I'm just trying to keep this as an option. I don't plan on staying with this company for very much longer. There are just no opportunities. OTOH, it is extremely difficult to sell yourself to an out-of-state employer, particularly when you're not at the executive level (yet). So if they can at least get me over into the region I want to be in, job searching locally will be so much easier for me.

Unless anybody else has anymore suggestions, I think I'm going to go with some variation of revrandy's post. Thanks for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
So if they can at least get me over into the region I want to be in, job searching locally will be so much easier for me.
That's sort of sad. I'm not being judgemental. I just think it would be sort of sh*ty to look for a new job if this company went to the trouble of rearranging something to accomodate you. I can understand wanting to move closer to friends and family. I can understand wanting to work for a new employer. I just think it's a shame to take advantage of a small company like that.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's sort of sad. I'm not being judgemental. I just think it would be sort of sh*ty to look for a new job if this company went to the trouble of rearranging something to accomodate you. I can understand wanting to move closer to friends and family. I can understand wanting to work for a new employer. I just think it's a shame to take advantage of a small company like that.
Well, it's either that and they can use my services for that much longer, or I quit sooner. As long as I'm working for them and they are paying me, that's an even exchange of goods and services as far I'm concerned. Like a business person, you have to exploit all favorable opportunities to get ahead in this world. They don't have to give me notice if they fire me, right? How is this any different? Welcome to the economy of the new millennium. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Well, it's either that and they can use my services for that much longer, or I quit sooner. As long as I'm working for them and they are paying me, that's an even exchange of goods and services as far I'm concerned. Like a business person, you have to exploit all favorable opportunities to get ahead in this world. They don't have to give me notice if they fire me, right? How is this any different? Welcome to the economy of the new millennium. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
It truly would be better for you to quit sooner than have them change everything around, spend money training new people, just for you to job search. If you want to find another job, find another job. Don't make this employer do cartwheels for you and then leave. Your reference will always suck from there if you do it. Trust me. In this "economy of the new millennium," there's something to be said about learning how to not burn bridges.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
It truly would be better for you to quit sooner than have them change everything around, spend money training new people, just for you to job search. If you want to find another job, find another job. Don't make this employer do cartwheels for you and then leave. Your reference will always suck from there if you do it. Trust me. In this "economy of the new millennium," there's something to be said about learning how to not burn bridges.
Hey, if they do this for me, it might buy them another year of my time. I think that's a fair deal. If after a year I'm still not getting anywhere within the company, I think it's fair of me to look for work elsewhere. I've been with this company for close to three years and I've had to deal with all sorts of broken promises from them. It's just business; no hard feelings. I have enough references elsewhere (w/ the client, etc.) who I'm using in my current job hunt anyways. It'd be stupid on my part to use them as a reference now, while I'm still working for them. This will likely not hurt my chances of getting a job down the road. People have done much better under far worse circumstances.

Besides, the way things are today, it is nearly impossible to find a job while out of state. If this works out, I will be in a better position to find a local job. When you're 1200 miles away from your ideal destination, local job hunting is a crapshoot. Like I said, I don't like it, but it is what it is. I have to do what I have to do.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Exactly. You can forget any references from this company if you screw them over. The OP said they have been there 3 yrs, well that is long time to destroy a good working relationship when you need a reference.

Yes you absolutely have to look out for yourself, but if this company goes to the trouble of honoring your request and you leave them in the lurch it will come back to bite you.

I think you would need to stay at the very least a year if they do give you a transfer.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think you would need to stay at the very least a year if they do give you a transfer.
Yes, that is something I'd definitely consider.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Quote:
Yes, that is something I'd definitely consider.
What about relocation expenses?

Does the company typically pay those? If so you may want to add that you will be happy to cover that cost so their is no added expense to the company.

If they do pay those costs sometimes you may have to sign something stating you will stay for xxx amount of time or you would have to pay those back.

I relocated last year with my company and had to sign something since they paid for my relocation. Just an FYI it was very expensive for us to move. I have a family but it was close to $6k to relocate. Something to consider if you have not thought of it yet.

As far as your letter goes it look ok. I know there are some not so good employers out there and they may read your letter as "your not happy here and you are going to leave if we don't tranfer you"

I would much rather meet face to face than send an email. Can you schedule a meeting with him? It is hard to convey you message, feelings, tone of voice in an email. The way you read it and understand it may be very very different than the person on the receiving end takes it.

I don't send emails when I am trying to explain something. Its too difficult and can get you in trouble.

Thats why you see so many people (including me) get into arguements on this forum. Its very difficult to convey your thoughts in writing.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I'd have a face-to-face with the HR person and ask what is the best way to formally indicate your interest in a future relocation to xyz. Just say that's "home" and as your parents get older you realize how great it would be to be more present in their lives. I would never launch a "quality of life" sob story. You want to be respected as a professional. I have a long history in HR and people who are straightforward and not sappy get my respect and attention.
I agree with Squirl regarding the "face-to-face" approach to dealing with this matter. The way you are proposing to approach this matter pretty much only gives you one shot at getting what you want. If the company does not like what they see, then you have little chance of success. I think you should first approach this matter very informally just to see what your options are and how the company operates. Then you can tailor your approach to better fit the companies way of doing things.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I agree with Squirl regarding the "face-to-face" approach to dealing with this matter. The way you are proposing to approach this matter pretty much only gives you one shot at getting what you want. If the company does not like what they see, then you have little chance of success. I think you should first approach this matter very informally just to see what your options are and how the company operates. Then you can tailor your approach to better fit the companies way of doing things.
Here's the problem with that. We all work away from each other. I'm 1200 miles away from our HR department. I'm about 1500 miles away from my direct manager. There is no walking down to their offices and asking for a meeting. OTOH, I do have the option of calling them. I just figured sending an email would introduce the topic to them and we could go from there. Trust me, if they were down the hall or across town, I wouldn't be asking how I should word an email on a forum; I'd go directly to them in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment