U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 AM

6,918 posts, read 15,758,937 times

Advertisements

I only had one job where I had to travel (by air) one time. I was a Relief Salesman during one summer and flew to AZ for a week. It was ok, but missed being home in the evenings quite a bit (was married at the time). Other than that job, never wanted a "travel" type job at all......just not my thing no matter what the salary was.

My wife accepted a job backi in '08 and had to fly to Michigan three times for training (a week/half each). We were lucky 'cause I was unemployed at the time and went with her all three times. Even though it was for training, we spent three weekends visiting some of wife's relatives and drove down to Indiana to where I was raised. She wouldn't do it again though.

I know a guy in another C-D Forum who travels a lot and even stated that he doesn't know what the area really looks like where they moved to.....he's gone that much. And, he's married with a couple of small kids.

The only way I'd even consider any kind of travel at all with a company is if I was single. Again, don't care about the salary, I'm just an 8-5 (or 7-3:30) type dude who likes (no, LOVES) being home with my wife! Heck, I don't even like working weekends......period! I'm unemployed right now and headed for early retirement (SS), so won't have to think about travel working weekends anyway.

I know there are wives/husbands (and boyfriends/girlfriends) that have no problem at all with their wife/hubby/boy-girlfriend traveling. Then there are the ones who hate it, but won't say anything (or much of anything) due to the income it brings to the person traveling. OTR drivers are gone quite a bit and I've heard some ladies complaining about that, but then again, I've heard other ladies who seem to VERY GLAD their husband is gone a lot. Interesting, hugh?

So, would you take a job that requires you to travel some-to-a lot??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
VJP

635 posts, read 1,383,511 times
I would, have, and do take jobs that require traveling. I'm currently at 30-40% travel. Since you said salary is not a concern for you my situation doesn't apply. The only way I can break into the salary ranges I fit into is by accepting a job where I'll travel and interact with customers. That's a lie - I could also be a technical guru and chief scientist/engineer type - but I'm only 28.

My wife doesn't particularly hate it, but she can get frustrated if I'm gone a whole week, which is rare however.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 PM

5,751 posts, read 5,923,325 times
I hired on with my present employer to be a station rep. At most I would be traveling less than 5 percent of the time. A few weeks after I hired on, they announced they were closing the station. My choices were to either start traveling or look for a new job. I chose to travel. I usually am away from home 3 to 4 months at a time. When I do get home, it is only for a few days then right back out on the road.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 PM

11,383 posts, read 17,181,727 times
Lots of us here have jobs that travel alot. Just go to the travel subforum. I am at about 20% travel - usually to a foreign destination. For me that is perfect - by the time I am sick of working in the office (or, in one place, since I work from home) and ready to get out, I have a trip planned.

I did a job that was 50% + travel. Now that was too much, and at that point you feel you have no life.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,735,398 times
My current job I do up to 50% travel. I don't mind it-- I get to network, go to interesting places and work with people in their own environments in our offices across the country and world.. literally.

I am not married but my mother lives with me. I miss everyone (pets, friends, mom, and family) sometimes but I think it is great to be out there and independent. Personally, I get very antsy if I am in the same place for too long.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM

17,579 posts, read 37,768,306 times
Before I was married I had a job where I traveled 90% of the time. Did that for about 3 years. It was great. Wouldn't even consider it now.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 AM

12,728 posts, read 24,108,443 times
I'd do it if it were the only option versus becoming homeless, or if it were somehow the dreamest job of all time (unlikely).
I dislike flying (physically) and my house and dogs are very iportant to me emotionally. I sure wouldn't look to a travel job.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:12 AM

16,592 posts, read 19,228,150 times
I love traveling but can't stand flying. Not afraid of it, but the way people act on a plane now have turned them into flying Greyhound buses.

Flying used to be an enjoyable experience.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 AM

6,918 posts, read 15,758,937 times
I took a Greyhound bus from Calif to Indiana back in the late 90's and it was ok, not terrific by any sort of imagination, but ok. Some people who travel by bus REALLY have oral hygiene and b/o problems!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I love traveling but can't stand flying. Not afraid of it, but the way people act on a plane now have turned them into flying Greyhound buses.

Flying used to be an enjoyable experience.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 AM

27,236 posts, read 39,845,704 times
No, I have no desire to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment