Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you doing what you went to school for?
Yes 40 48.19%
No 33 39.76%
No post-secondary 1 1.20%
Unemployed 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times

Advertisements

BS Economics and I'm a logistics manager. So I guess not, but I think it is what is. Regardless of how YOU or I see it, we have to play by THEIR rules as long as we are relying on them for a job.

I don't know how many countless articles we have to read about how a BA/BS usually indicates to an employer that an applicant has ambition, the commitment to follow through on something, time management skills, project management skills, etc., before it finally sinks in. This is not me saying this. These are the employers in the field saying this. I'll take their word over joe schmoe forum poster any day.

If it were up to me, I'd prefer the self-learning method with the option to get in touch with experts in the field when you need to discuss something. Not only is it cheaper, it's a more efficient use of my time.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 03-13-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 PM

207 posts, read 501,167 times
Yep, I'm not knocking education. I graduated summa c.um laude from a top 20 school, so it's not like I'm coming from an angle that I wasn't good in school, it just seems employers are overdoing it these days.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
it just seems employers are overdoing it these days.
They certainly are.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
Yes for me. I double majored in Biochemistry and English lit, and I work in a research lab.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Yes, I am doing what I studied in (graduate) school... my BA was fairly useless, but I quickly went on to study Library/Information Science in grad school. And I've been working in libraries ever since! You could even say I'm using the undergraduate degree, since it was in English Literature - and what's more literary than a library?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
No. I went to school for Economics and graduated during this recession. Looked for a few months to no avail, and then took a job working in a warehouse and quickly became a manager.

I make a good wage, but I want to get a career more in line to what I went to school for (I have been at this job under 2 years and I have advanced as much as possible). And while it pays a solid wage, I want more.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
For me, I am currently working in the field that I obtained my masters degree in (education). Although I received a bachelors degree in mass communications, I never worked in the mass media/communications field after receiving my BA because I realized that my passions were in education during my senior year. No time was lost as my career required a masters degree so changing my major would have been pointless. I worked in unrelated jobs for three years then decided that I was ready to pursue the masters degree. I am now working part-time in my chosen profession (which is pretty much mandatory in my field) and actively seeking full-time opportunities.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
BS Economics and I'm a logistics manager. So I guess not, but I think it is what is. Regardless of how YOU or I see it, we have to play by THEIR rules as long as we are relying on them for a job.

I don't know how many countless articles we have to read about how a BA/BS usually indicates to an employer that an applicant has ambition, the commitment to follow through on something, time management skills, project management skills, etc., before it finally sinks in. This is not me saying this. These are the employers in the field saying this. I'll take their word over joe schmoe forum poster any day.

If it were up to me, I'd prefer the self-learning method with the option to get in touch with experts in the field when you need to discuss something. Not only is it cheaper, it's a more efficient use of my time.
Employers want more than just someone who is proficient and trained in their craft. A college degree is more than just a means of "job training." One thing that is valuable about a college education is that you learn critical reasoning/problem solving skills and improved ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally ... not to mention multi-tasking skills in juggling conflicting priorities. You also learn more about a broad range of topics that the average high school graduate is never exposed to making you a more well-rounded individual. These are assets to anyone looking for work which is why many employers desire the BA/BS degree ...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
I went back as an adult-set a goal to graduate with a AAS by the time I turned 35. Even had another one of my kids while going. I have a business degree-hospitality and tourism management. Not even doing anything remotely near it. I do medical collections-here's what I have up on my LinkedIn site-And I make a whopping $10hr to do it. Go me!

Analyzes and researches reason(s) for outstanding billed accounts on the Accounts Receivable file; with a denial, underpayment and/or credit balance received for each account assigned in the work list. Determines and executes best approach for resolution and rebilling. Works accounts according to the priority determined by electronic work report. Requests information from other departments. Corresponds with third party payers, physician offices and/or patients to obtain information. Makes timely telephone and online inquires to payers regarding denial reason, eligibility and status of claims submitted and promises to pay. Draft comprehensive appeals, faxes and letters to payers providing additional or requested information; that will overturn the denial.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 PM

576 posts, read 586,169 times
No.

BS Economics

Started 5 years ago (after school) as an Inside Sales (Account Manager, etc) for a Plastics Co (sell materials, help with engineering, machine parts, etc).
Recently bumped up to Branch Manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment