U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
 
132 posts, read 272,547 times
Reputation: 80
Default How long does it take you to apply?

Hi Friends! Just wondering, to apply for one job how long does it take you?

For me.. Applying can take up to two hours, or more.. I tailor my resume and cover letter to the job description, create a profile (which is lengthy because each company has different formats) then finally hit submit.. Is there a more efficient way to apply for jobs?

p.s. What do they mean by "plain text format" with regards to submitting a resume..? Can I do this on a Mac? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
4,114 posts, read 4,565,764 times
Reputation: 6229
It depends on the application. It can be as little as 5 min or as much as an hour or more. Some Fed jobs still use KSA's and those things can take hours to write.

Plain text or ASCII is a bare bones formatting that you can paste around and not have it lose its proper spacing and orientation. Copying your Linkedin profile and just doing some minor editing can produce a decent ASCII resume.

Otherwise uploading or attaching a word document generates the most elegant resume.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 AM
 
132 posts, read 272,547 times
Reputation: 80
Hi! Thanks for your feedback. Most of the jobs I apply for are with multinational companies in my area (corp. america jobs).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
37,711 posts, read 11,685,161 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It depends on the application. It can be as little as 5 min or as much as an hour or more. Some Fed jobs still use KSA's and those things can take hours to write.

Plain text or ASCII is a bare bones formatting that you can paste around and not have it lose its proper spacing and orientation. Copying your Linkedin profile and just doing some minor editing can produce a decent ASCII resume.

Otherwise uploading or attaching a word document generates the most elegant resume.
If given the option, I prefer converting my Word resume into PDF to ensure that the formatting isn't lost or that my resume does not somehow become one page longer due to the layout on the HR screen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
37,711 posts, read 11,685,161 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBGirl View Post
Hi! Thanks for your feedback. Most of the jobs I apply for are with multinational companies in my area (corp. america jobs).
It really depends upon the company and how their online system is set up. Some positions only require a resume/cover letter submission whereas others require you to go through those annoying psychological tests which can take hours to complete. In those cases, they should give warning as to how long the application should take prior to you beginning it. I would have a skeleton resume and cover letter ready so that you can easily tweak it to each job versus just doing a new one from scratch for each job. Use key words that you find in the job announcement as well. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 1,690,475 times
Reputation: 577
30-45 minutes for the low pay time wasters.
25 minutes for federal jobs
3-15 minutes for county
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 03:25 PM
 
207 posts, read 265,042 times
Reputation: 154
About an hour if the website doesn't require too much.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Northwest side of San Antonio
3,012 posts, read 3,859,999 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
If given the option, I prefer converting my Word resume into PDF to ensure that the formatting isn't lost or that my resume does not somehow become one page longer due to the layout on the HR screen.
I have heard from recruiters that a PDF isn't such a goo option because they can't highlight and edit stuff the way they like.

While I like the idea of a PDF because it gets rid of the squiggly spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes, I can understand their desire to get a Word document too. It's totally a lose/lose situation.

On topic, a job application usually takes me about 45 minutes to get the cover letter and resume perfect in addition to fixing things to the specifications of the company's application.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
37,711 posts, read 11,685,161 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I have heard from recruiters that a PDF isn't such a goo option because they can't highlight and edit stuff the way they like.

While I like the idea of a PDF because it gets rid of the squiggly spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes, I can understand their desire to get a Word document too. It's totally a lose/lose situation.

On topic, a job application usually takes me about 45 minutes to get the cover letter and resume perfect in addition to fixing things to the specifications of the company's application.
I guess that's why I like PDF is that I would not want anyone editing my resume ... Why would recruiters even NEED to edit someone's resume?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Stuck in NE GA right now
4,549 posts, read 6,025,395 times
Reputation: 6355
Average is about an hour but many times it more when you have to take their worthless tests.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top