Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times

Advertisements

Sounds like my Mom. She was let go from her job 2 years ago, and just never really got it together to get another one. I think she was too depressed, and really, the market is soft for that age range. I gave her some money, but pretty much just for medication, and living expenses. She finally did get a job, as an usher...sad, a masters degree in Math, a CPA, and an MBA...and she is an usher...she could not find any other work. She works part time, for $9.00 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
yeah, you are right. while we do have the money to support him, i still like everybody pulling there own weight.

and in a sense he does, since he helps around the house, cooks for everyone, etc.

my main issue is the way he is going about the job search. i am of the believe that you send out resumes everywhere via online. he wants to look in the paper, find the job, and go into the job and talk to them.

again, that was fine 20 years ago, but it doesnt work like that in 2011.

Don't bother. Some people get old and senile. Like the saying goes, "You can't teach old dogs..."

Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,661 times
Quote:
REtail floor sales. 60. He will work until his final days most likely. Has no money whatsoever
Give your dad a break, and don't go off on the man.
This is really sad, I feel bad he won't be able to retire and enjoy the fruits of labor. Very sad, but yet another example of how America has gone to hell thanks to the greedy, republican, tea-baggers.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:22 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
I agree go easy on dad he is most likely in a state of confusion and maybe a little depression. The job market is hard enough for the younger generation not to mention someone 60. Maybe you could help him fill out job apps online and build a resume for him. I am sure he probably has some good skills that would transfer to another job. It is sad that he will have to work until his last day but that is just the way things are these days and I am afraid it will get worse as time goes by. Take it from me it does get depressing to know that ones best work years are behind them wondering just what will happen in the future. Just be patient with him. You are a good kid though for helping him out.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:30 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
A job is often times tied to a persons self worth.

Nobody wants a hand out but it appears like that when you fill out 400 resumes, nobody will hire you and you feel even lower, you collect unemployment and your family tries to help you ( many people have no help or family ) but then they give up on you too...

Then you have those who refer to the unemployed as : *Pond Scum*Lazy*Drug Addicted*Animals*.....

Your dad paid his dues, he is 60 yrs old, very hard for employers to consider a senior when they want the 20 something's,... not asking you to carry him.... but society should have some compassion.

If it were my mom she would be in my home . She paid her dues raising me but she is passed away now.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
yeah, you are right. while we do have the money to support him, i still like everybody pulling there own weight.

and in a sense he does, since he helps around the house, cooks for everyone, etc.

my main issue is the way he is going about the job search. i am of the believe that you send out resumes everywhere via online. he wants to look in the paper, find the job, and go into the job and talk to them.

OK...he helps around the house and cooks. Whose house? Is he living with you or it this at his own house?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:50 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander
...thanks to the greedy, republican, tea-baggers.
I'm not going to disagree with that, but you forgot to include the
equally greedy and guilty democrat union, entitlement-mentality enablers.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sounds like my Mom. She was let go from her job 2 years ago, and just never really got it together to get another one. I think she was too depressed, and really, the market is soft for that age range. I gave her some money, but pretty much just for medication, and living expenses. She finally did get a job, as an usher...sad, a masters degree in Math, a CPA, and an MBA...and she is an usher...she could not find any other work. She works part time, for $9.00 an hour.
I'm curious. How old is your mother?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Can dad hold on for another year or two and just "officially" retire when he turns 62 , start collecting social security, and babysit the grandkids when he isn't bowling or hanging out at the senior center or whatever? He doesn't have that long to go.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,485 times
Quote:

I was raised in a culture which believes that the son or "updated" to daughter / son in law, is responsible for taking care of their parents in their old age.... especially if they are financially capable of doing so.

How many parents continue to financially help their children well into adulthood? In fact, many unemployed have moved back in with their parents who take them back without any questions.

Your dad doesn't sound lazy since he helps around the house and cooks for everyone and does job searches but he is 60, so I'd give him some slack. Encourage him, but he shouldn't be admonished like a child.
Thank God, your dad seems to be in good health since many 60 year olds have had heart attacks, back & joint problems, etc.. making it time consuming and expensive to care for them.

Last edited by raymond2; 03-17-2011 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment