Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM

292 posts, read 1,244,267 times

Advertisements

Not legal, violates Craigslist TOS and is possibly a scam. I flagged one yesterday that asked for a candidate ideally "born in Europe or the US." Can't do that, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM

50 posts, read 102,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It's Craigslist. I assume everything posted there is a scam.
Careerbuilder has scams too, but they seem to be less common, probably because of the higher listing fee.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
People need to be very leery.

Go in for the interview, wake up in Thailand.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
.....in a tub of ice water with your kidneys missing!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
.....in a tub of ice water with your kidneys missing!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I'm surprised that most of you only focused on the gender part when the ad is also age biased.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm surprised that most of you only focused on the gender part when the ad is also age biased.
To a certain extent though, I do understand the age thing. Like if you are a junior clothing fashion company let's say, you would probably want someone younger around 25-30, then perhaps someone in their 40's or 50's.

In certain situations it makes sense, I do think it is wrong, but i kind understand it to some degree.

The picture thing makes absolutely no sense. Who gives a crap what you look like?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
It is not legal in the United States. If the job position is in India it would be fine because employers list their preferences for age and sex of candidate all the time and it is legal there.

If someone who is a career "suer" (male for this case) sees this he will apply for the job, predictably be turned down, and then start a case with the EEOC, then get permission from them to sue, and make "Dan" the horny idiot who wrote this ad wish he'd never been born.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
To a certain extent though, I do understand the age thing. Like if you are a junior clothing fashion company let's say, you would probably want someone younger around 25-30, then perhaps someone in their 40's or 50's.

In certain situations it makes sense, I do think it is wrong, but i kind understand it to some degree.

The picture thing makes absolutely no sense. Who gives a crap what you look like?
The writer of the ad ("Dan") is a horny heterosexual male. There is no other explanation for that requirement. It's not an advertisement for a model, is it?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McPinto View Post
from craigslist:

We are a very successful marketing firm located in Costa Mesa... We are growing and would like to bring on a smart, young capable female that has a good phone voice. You would work directly with owner and fellow associates assisting with food/coffee runs and other office errands. Your main task would involve speaking with people on the phone, reading a short script, and taking an application. We are interested in hiring full-time (flexible with hours) hard working individual that is money motivated. We have a process and a particular way we do business which has become a very profitable platform for us. If you are young, (college students are welcome to apply) driven, willing to learn, with a nice phone voice WE WANT YOU!!! Please E-MAIL posting with all pertinent contact information and one of the partners will personally contact you and set up an interview with you. Please send a picture and a brief explanation regarding any previous experience. We look forward to hearing from you!!! Lucky number 11. Make 2011 a great year. If you enjoy a laid back atmosphere, and want to help a company grow contact Dan today...
It's one of the numerous "marketing" jobs on craigslist. It's either network marketing, door to door sales, etc, not a professional marketing or advertising job.

I can almost gurantee the other jobsin the company are on craigslist listed as

"managment training program"

"do you love sports"

"looking to hire 30 rockstar marketers"

etc.

I worked for one of these companies, we tried to sign college kids and people at sporting events up for credit cards, this was before everyone was so protective of their ssn.

I see lots of ads like this on craigsist of various cities. Sometimes its telemarketing, sometimes door to door sales selling cable or some other product nobody buys door to door lol.

I agree asking for a pic is wierd, comes off as creepy but for many jobs the company wants to project an image and younger, attractive, hip, stylish dressed people si the image they want to portray.

As for asking for a certain sex everyone immediately wants to say its not allowed. How about hooters with all women, hair salons with all women, there's lots of jobs where one sex is generally a better fit for the position
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment