Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 12:41 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,714 times

Advertisements

I am looking for, begging! for advice and help.
I graduated last May with an MA in Geography thinking I would pound pavement and be able to get a job in my field (Planning/Demography/State of Fed Government).

I had to move back in with my parents last summer in Northern VA, I have always, always hated Northern VA/DC and NEVER wanted to spend 1 minute there past age 18 (I hate the ugliness of the area, just do).

I thought this would be a short term deal, and that if I pounded pavement (meaning searched online and sent many resumes, I would be able to get work). Has not happened, not even close.

So now, almost a year later, I really am desperate to get work. If I can't get work in my field for the moment (and I can't), then at the bare minimum I at least want to be out of Northern VA.
I'm in my late 20s, and I swear the thought of having to temp for some job which has nothing to do with my 6 years of school, and doing so in the hazy, congested, heat of NoVA where I have no life makes me contemplate going to the military.

If I have to go to a temp agency or seek non-Geography related work, I at least want it to be in a different area.

Problem is, how the heck can I look for work and get work say in NY or FL while living in NoVA? Is this possible?
See if I go to a temp agency, don't they all work with local companies, meaning I'll be stuck in NoVA doing BS work that has nothing to do with my career?

I'd like to know if it is possible to find work outside of where you live for an entry level person, and if so, what I can do?
Would a temp agency be able to help me find work outside where I locally am? If not, is there any hope, or am I doomed to be in NoVA unless I join the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:04 PM

207 posts, read 501,150 times
Seeing as NoVa is about the best economy in the country, you really are well situation. And with a geography degree, you'll probably work the government anyway, so you might as well look some more locally... In your case, you're in about the best place possible.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,484 times
I'm on the exact same page as you. I'm in my late 20's and I live on the Maryland side of the beltway in the DC area. I graduated with a degree in graphic design a year ago. I, too, haven't been able to get a job offer despite going to several interviews over the past six months. They say the DC area is the best job market, but I think that this is not completely true. For one, every position I have interviewed for had much more than myself applying unlike the lie that is being plastered all around the media of DC having an open position for every single unemployed worker. There is an over-abundance of overqualified people in the DC area and it is ultra competitive out here. There are high paying jobs out here but getting those jobs is like winning the lottery. Sadly, the situation isn't much better in other places. I also want to move because I've hated the DMV (I hate that corny f*cking term) as long as I've lived out here. I'm from San Francisco originally and I would love to move back. According to skewed statistics, SF's job market has improved recently as well as nearby San Jose. New York's job market is supposedly doing better as well:

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com

My mother's side of the family still lives in SF, but all of my aunts and uncles living there are sad unemployed schizophrenics and alcoholics. I wouldn't want to live there in that unstable household and there would be no guarantee of finding a job out there.

My advice to you would be stick around and try to find an internship that might lead to a job and build up your portfolio here in the DC area for a year or two and still look for opportunities in other cities you like better while you are employed. But what do I know, I'm in the same position as you. Hang in there.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 03-17-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
It's definitely possible to get a job in another state while not moving there first, but it is harder. Try addressing the issue in your cover letter. Write that although you live in another state, you are more than willing to relocate at no cost to them. A lot of employers are afraid of hiring people from out of state because they don't want to have to pay relocation fees and it's also seen as cheaper and easier to hire someone who already works in that area. Just make yourself very available and open. You could also try an internship in the area you want to live in. Internships are great stepping stones and can definitely lead to a job opportunity with that company.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:57 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I'd like to know if it is possible to find work outside of where you live for an entry level person
Yes it is possible. I did it straight out of college. I had 2 job offers, one near where I was going to college and one in the Seattle area (where I wanted to go). I spent at least two hours a day sending out cover letters, resumes, and applying through websites. I applied for over 150 positions during my senior year of college and most were in the Pacific NW. About 2 months before I graduated I was interviewing at least once a week. Out of all that work I got 2 offers, but I learned something very valuable: when it comes to entry level positions of any kind, every industry is over-saturated.

I signed up for all the job websites and career services I could find, but they were ineffective. I would suggest the following strategy and maybe you'll find something too:

-Sit down and make a list of 'keywords' that can be related to whatever position or company you are looking for. You're going to want at least 10 or 12. For example: if you were looking for a software company the list would contain 'code' 'tech' 'C++' etc.

-Hit google like there is no tomorrow. Google through your list of words and make a list of any and all companies that may remotely be related to your interests. I used google maps and zoomed in on the Puget sound region and had a huge list of smaller local companies as well as huge multinationals.

-Here's the time-consuming part. Go to EACH company's website and check for career openings. Apply to any you find interesting. Hopefully at the end of the first day you will have applied for at least 4 or 5 positions. You don't want to blast your resume at every open inbox, you want to intelligently apply for all positions that may be a good fit. TAKE YOUR TIME with all your applications and you will eventually get noticed.

When I did this I made finding a job my full time job. I invested countless hours, but if you are determined enough you WILL find something worth your while. Write a new cover letter for every position that requires one, accurately fill out every application, and try to follow up with as many as you can. You will get something out of sheer determination. Most people give up or don't work hard enough when looking for a job. If you are willing to look harder than everyone else you'll find what you're looking for. You need to have good credentials and a great resume, but the most important thing is that you look hard and invest the time you need to be able to find a great job.

Good Luck! Let us know if you find anything!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
It also helps if you're willing to relocate with no expense to the company hiring you. Most smaller companies can't afford to bring you to them, and most large companies aren't willing to make that investment in an entry-level candidate.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I'm on the exact same page as you. I'm in my late 20's and I live on the Maryland side of the beltway in the DC area. I graduated with a degree in graphic design a year ago. I, too, haven't been able to get a job offer despite going to several interviews over the past six months. They say the DC area is the best job market, but I think that this is not completely true. For one, every position I have interviewed for had much more than myself applying unlike the lie that is being plastered all around the media of DC having an open position for every single unemployed worker. There is an over-abundance of overqualified people in the DC area and it is ultra competitive out here. There are high paying jobs out here but getting those jobs is like winning the lottery. Sadly, the situation isn't much better in other places. I also want to move because I've hated the DMV (I hate that corny f*cking term) as long as I've lived out here. I'm from San Francisco originally and I would love to move back. According to skewed statistics, SF's job market has improved recently as well as nearby San Jose. New York's job market is supposedly doing better as well:

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com

My mother's side of the family still lives in SF, but all of my aunts and uncles living there are sad unemployed schizophrenics and alcoholics. I wouldn't want to live there in that unstable household and there would be no guarantee of finding a job out there.

My advice to you would be stick around and try to find an internship that might lead to a job and build up your portfolio here in the DC area for a year or two and still look for opportunities in other cities you like better while you are employed. But what do I know, I'm in the same position as you. Hang in there.
The DC area is terrible, I hate the weather, the people, the overall bland, overpopulated region.

The fact that people say DC has great employment is wrong, it is artificially higher because of all the Federal and Defense contracting positions, outside of those industries it's the same as anywhere I would bet.
Moreover, I have tried VERY hard to get US Government jobs and have not, they are so tediously long in hiring, very competitive, and thanks to people like the tea party, drying out quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment