Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 26,943 times

Advertisements

So I just got this new job after 7 months of unemployment. But before I got to day 4 I got a call from my recruiter telling me I was fired! Dismayed, I asked why. She said, someone overheard me saying naughty words and told the GM. Now I had worked in law firms pretty much most of my career and cursing (among other things) was acceptable in the lawyer culture.

So I was employed in an insurance company, and I was leaving to go home. So of course my phone rang. I took the call in a empty hallway near a few cubicles. It was my boyfriend. I called him a selfish *******. I was just joking with him. I might have said crap or something else.

I know I have a cursing problem when it comes to inanimate objects or when I screw something up. But that's about it. I kind of don't know if it was an overreaction on their part or I was legitimately wrong.

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Yes you can be fired for cursing, even when it isn't directed at a specific person.

Sorry. File for unemployment. If you hadn't been warned about the policy in the past, you'll likely qualify.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
You absolutely can be discharged -- especially as a brand new employee -- when its determined pretty quickly that you don't fit the culture. And having a potty mouth clearly would not fit in many environments. Maybe you should consider applying at a strip joint or working as a horse groomer. I understand your vocabulary would be quite acceptable at those places.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
7 months unemployed, and on day 4 you aren't watching every step you take. Insane!

Focus, you must adhere to the employers standards, the customer is always right, and theya re the customer for your services.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM

8 posts, read 26,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
You absolutely can be discharged -- especially as a brand new employee -- when its determined pretty quickly that you don't fit the culture. And having a potty mouth clearly would not fit in many environments. Maybe you should consider applying at a strip joint or working as a horse groomer. I understand your vocabulary would be quite acceptable at those places.
Well it was somewhat of a culture shock to me. Like I said, lawyer culture is not soft and cuddly like many offices. Its a tornado of f-bombs, old coffee, and generally sour demeanors.

So it didn't really cross my mind that saying "*******" or "crap" once in a empty hallway would offend someone so much that they would get me fired over it.

I learned a lesson from it definitely. To watch my mouth in the future outside of the legal universe. But no need to be so judgmental. I'm sure if you were at my former firm and complained about "cursing" they would tell you to grow up and deal with it. Every place is different I suppose.

Lesson learned that is for certain.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM

I'd watch the language even in a law office. Assume every office is 100% professional, all the time.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,329 times
There's a woman in my office who shrieks and curses dropping the F bomb liberally, especially during lunch time where her voice carries. I wish management would say something about the rude behavior but they let it go.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtone View Post
So I just got this new job after 7 months of unemployment. But before I got to day 4 I got a call from my recruiter telling me I was fired! Dismayed, I asked why. She said, someone overheard me saying naughty words and told the GM. Now I had worked in law firms pretty much most of my career and cursing (among other things) was acceptable in the lawyer culture.

So I was employed in an insurance company, and I was leaving to go home. So of course my phone rang. I took the call in a empty hallway near a few cubicles. It was my boyfriend. I called him a selfish *******. I was just joking with him. I might have said crap or something else.

I know I have a cursing problem when it comes to inanimate objects or when I screw something up. But that's about it. I kind of don't know if it was an overreaction on their part or I was legitimately wrong.

It is a special place in hell for snitches. Especially the kind you encountered.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Yes you can be fired for cursing, even when it isn't directed at a specific person.

Sorry. File for unemployment. If you hadn't been warned about the policy in the past, you'll likely qualify.
The OP can't file for unemployment because he/she was only employed for four days.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM

Plus, its going to be ruled fired for cause, no doubt. One cannot assume they can talk as they would in a bar at work. Fired for cause = unemployment disqualification, and you can bet agency will back the customer..which is the employer.

Last edited by bobtn; 03-21-2011 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment