Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
We recently had a 2% increase in all salary ranges. That's not raises, but simply raising the top of the ranges when employees hit the maximum.

All of our raises are based on performance. Our annual maximum is set each year. Last year it was 4.5%, this year it has been dropped to 3.5%,
and we also had our medical contribution increased. Many people might prefer a 2% raise to everyone over having to justify an outstanding performance every year to get 1-3.5%.
I like this way of thinking, especially if raises are going to be smaller. The way our company has been doing it last two years:

Overall Company Raises- Average 3%.

If you rank as a Meets Expectations... You Get between 2-3ish%
If you rank below expectations....you get nothing
If you rank Exceeds, the raise is 3.5
Outstanding can get you I believe from 3.5-5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

I meant to add...

I am curious to see if companies are going to continue giving smaller raises even once the economy picks up. They see people accepting it now.. and have wondered to myself if they will try to continue this from now on.

Me personally, while happy to have a raise... I am not thrilled with how cheap my company has became despite our record revenue...as soon as I can bail I am going to.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I meant to add...

I am curious to see if companies are going to continue giving smaller raises even once the economy picks up. They see people accepting it now.. and have wondered to myself if they will try to continue this from now on.

Me personally, while happy to have a raise... I am not thrilled with how cheap my company has became despite our record revenue...as soon as I can bail I am going to.
Everything works in cycles. Assuming that the job market improves at some point companies will be competing more for resources. That should lead to higher salaries.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I meant to add...

Record revenue, really, in this day and age? Well, even if so, could be expenses are up (God knows everything dealing with fuel is up, be it utilities, shipping costs, etc), so profit could be down, despite increased revenue. Being stingy if you will, on salary increases would in such conditions, be justified imo.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Our company did something like 7.8 billion in sales this year, which is the highest total ever. I believe the profit was at least a billion if I remember correctly.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Record revenue, really, in this day and age?
Yes.

Real After-Tax Profits Reach New Record High In Q4

Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,537 times
OK, sure, but this is not exactly a 3 or 5-year run we're talking about. After all, 2009 has the lowest figures in 6 years.

Could be companies want to have a solid footing, for a period longer than just one year, before they start throwing money around.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Could be companies want to have a solid footing, for a period longer than just one year, before they start throwing money around.
Especially after the earthquake in Japan. There are quite a few industries that already anticipate being 6 months behind on manufacturing schedule because parts came from Japan. Even if a company doesn't rely on Japanese parts, all companies are going to feel the impact the earthquake has on our economy.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
That raise is like $350/year after tax. I wouldn't really consider that a raise. That is just me though.

As an hourly employee I appreciate any increases I get (I got about a $1/hr this year which equated to about 1.4%) but they really don't mean that much to the bottom line. I would much rather be happy at my job, with an employer who appreciates what I do vs. a raise.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I would much rather be happy at my job, with an employer who appreciates what I do vs. a raise.
That's why I recommended finding other ways to improve employee morale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment