Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,136 times

Advertisements

I have this scenario where due to a recent contract with a bank, I am forced to go out to locations to do work however the work is dependent on verizon finishing circuitry installation.

Now there are multiple occurances where verizon will state the work is finished however nothing has been done. My company asks me to go to the site to do the work and verify if the work has been done if there are any issues.

The problem with this is the expected payout for a successful completion of one work site is 50 dollars however if no work can be done due to verizon's failures, you are only paid 15.

If my tolls cost 20 dollars alone from commuting, and I know the work has not been finished due to the failure of verizon, can my company fire me for refusing to comply with duties in regards to visiting a site? Basically I feel that I am forced to take a financial loss on a trip due to contractual terms with the bank and my company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 04:55 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
I'd think your company should reimburse you for the tolls (and even mileage if you are driving your own vehicle). But from a legality standpoint, they're simply giving you a job. The fact that your expenses exceed the pay in doing that job becomes a financial decision on your part on whether or not you want to continue to do this.

I don't see how they are legally obligated to ensure your expenses are not higher than your pay. And expenses like that are usually tax deductible - its not the same as having it reimbursed... but better than nothing.

Also - is that ratio between tolls and site visits static? In other words, is it possible to have $20 in tolls but you visiting 3 sites? Which would still net you $25 in a worse case scenario... not saying this makes it a non issue.. but just looking at all angles.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,139 times
Yes. Whatever both parties agree to is legal so long as pay is above minimum wage. I suggest you ask for some kind of revised compensation agreement to account for this.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I'd think your company should reimburse you for the tolls (and even mileage if you are driving your own vehicle). But from a legality standpoint, they're simply giving you a job. The fact that your expenses exceed the pay in doing that job becomes a financial decision on your part on whether or not you want to continue to do this.

I don't see how they are legally obligated to ensure your expenses are not higher than your pay. And expenses like that are usually tax deductible - its not the same as having it reimbursed... but better than nothing.

Also - is that ratio between tolls and site visits static? In other words, is it possible to have $20 in tolls but you visiting 3 sites? Which would still net you $25 in a worse case scenario... not saying this makes it a non issue.. but just looking at all angles.
Yes it is better when 3-4 sites are visited on one trip however this isn't always the case. This is a side project my company is doing and i've been sent multiple times the past month to take care of these little projects with no avail.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I have this scenario where due to a recent contract with a bank, I am forced to go out to locations to do work however the work is dependent on verizon finishing circuitry installation.

Now there are multiple occurances where verizon will state the work is finished however nothing has been done. My company asks me to go to the site to do the work and verify if the work has been done if there are any issues.

The problem with this is the expected payout for a successful completion of one work site is 50 dollars however if no work can be done due to verizon's failures, you are only paid 15.

If my tolls cost 20 dollars alone from commuting, and I know the work has not been finished due to the failure of verizon, can my company fire me for refusing to comply with duties in regards to visiting a site? Basically I feel that I am forced to take a financial loss on a trip due to contractual terms with the bank and my company.
I suspect if you refuse to do your job for whatever reason, yes you will be fired, as Donald Trump would say. Now...let me give you a little advice. I work for these bastards and I know how it works. They can't be trusted as you have learned the hard way. It is for a number of reasons such as the lazy install tech lying to his supv that the work is done, the customer assuming it is because they (Verizon) said it would be on that date, etc etc.

I am not sure how large an area you cover as you dont say, but you need to get a contact name and number of the Special Circuits Supervisor (T1, Frame Relay, DSL, Fios) or the I&R Supervisor (regular dialtone) at the Verizon branch and call him/her BEFORE you go out. Thell him/her I have a service order to install X at such and such a customer and I was told the desired due date is X and I was just checking to make sure it was done. Then, after you are insured it was, ask for the order confirmation number or service order number that installed the service. Politely tell the supervisor that if you go to do your work and the job is in fact NOT complete, you will have to bill them (Verizon) your trip charge and labor for the site visit.

Then, bill them $100 trip and whatever you like per hour for your wasted time. I suggest $100-200 hr for your labor. One of two things will happen/ You get rich or they start meeting your desired due dates.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post

Sounds like you're an independent contractor working piece work and the company is 1099ing you.

If this is the case then there is nothing you can do other than to try and renegotiate your contract with them.

busta

Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,171,724 times
I can not answer the question of whether you can do anything about the company policy. But you may be able to minimize your losses.

You have not said if you are an employee (w2) or an independent contractor
(1099).

However, each way you can keep records of your "unreimbursed" expenses for a year end tax deduction. This works much better for Independent Contractors, as you can deduct directly on your Scd C. If you are an employee you will have to itemize your deductions (if possible) to claim on your taxes.

But either way, you should be keeping records of these trips and any other unreimbursed expenses (tools, education, uniforms, etc.). It may help you at year end.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM

275 posts, read 743,125 times
When "Verizon" tried(unsuccessfully) to repair my land line, sometimes they would report "repair complete", I would come home just to see "Line is in use"(short) on my screen. If they would have just tried to call the number they just "repaired", they would hear it is not in service. 6(!) times. Go figure. But I've heard everything in the book(it is inside the house, it is your equipment, it is your internet, it is your wires, it is the best we can do...) But they called my cell with pre-recordered messages "Technician scheduled...", "Technician dispatched...", "Repair completed..." instead of actually fixing the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment