Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I was invited to a job fair. The position itself was for a bilingual customer service rep by phone. They had seen my resume.

They required we authorize a credit check before being given an interview. I agreed. While there, I saw several people called out of the holding pen after 15 minutes being told they had not passed the credit check. I, however, spent over an hour in the holding pen only to be told I had not passed their check.

I pulled my three bureaus that night and my scores were in the 750 plus range. I exchanged emails with the company and they admitted it was not about my credit but would not tell me why I was refused an interview.

Was it because I am 51, overweight, or my last name is not Garcia? Now, they knew my last name (which is clearly Scandinavian) so I know that wasn't held against me.

In the end, I thought of filing a complaint with the attorney general's office for age discrimination but never did, as it's so hard to prove.

So what really happened there? Any thoughts?
Are you fluent in this other language? I mean, fluent as you speak as well as a native or very close to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Are you fluent in this other language? I mean, fluent as you speak as well as a native or very close to it?
Yes, I am. I had to do a test at my last job over the phone and I passed. Someone from Mexico failed.

So, yeah, I speak Spanish very well. Additionally, I had another interview in October and the guy on the phone was very impressed with my Spanish. I was only disappointed in that he did not grill me more.

I've worked for three companies (one of which required I be completely fluent) and so far have measured up. Could I be better? Sure. It's not my first language.

Having said this, there are plenty of Americans who do not even know how to speak English.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If one authorizes a check, one can run a check at any point. The alternative was to say, "No you can't", and go home. Judging by the fact she is whining over a feeble opportunity that didn't go far at all, that occurred 7 months ago, I suspect she is getting few opportunities that even progressed that far.

They most likely ran checks because at that level job, they were ready to hire on the spot when they thought they had the correct candidate.
Yeah but the credit check should have been taken place AFTER the candidate interviewed and pending an actual offer of employment.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Unless you have something to back up your claim that there is an issue of companies in India stealing your identity your comment is borderline racist. It only makes it worse when you admit ID theft happens all the time in the US.
My concern would be that folks in India (as with folks in Canada, Europe, etc.) are not bound by US laws and God knows what they do with the number once they finish the transaction! If the person in India was just an honest person performing a job, I would still be concerned with how they handle the number once they complete the transaction ... Do they shred it or just toss it out with the trash?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
An American owned firm that performs credit checks is free to outsource it globally, so do not assume you are safer with the American firm, if info-sharing is your concern.
Wow! That's just plain scary! I hate it when businesses outsource jobs where our sensitive information leaves our shores as a non-US company isn't bound by US laws.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
What you are not getting is they INVITED me and FOLLOWED UP with me via email after the fact telling me they hoped I attended their job fair. All of this was done AFTER the application. They then "invented" some reason to not interview me, which is discrimination.
Or they invented a reason to get their hands on your SSN...

Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Op just needs to move on;she was not picked for whatever reason.Maybe they wanted a funky dresser;who knows.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Or they invented a reason to get their hands on your SSN...
Of course you are being facetious, I hope.

One does have to safeguard one's identity. I have read NIGHTMARE stories from people who have had to deal with this. While I've never been a big proponent of companies like Identity Guard (think that is the name), I can see why there is a reason for paying someone to do so!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Of course you are being facetious, I hope.

One does have to safeguard one's identity. I have read NIGHTMARE stories from people who have had to deal with this. While I've never been a big proponent of companies like Identity Guard (think that is the name), I can see why there is a reason for paying someone to do so!
I wish ... If I were you, I would be more selective in who you give your SSN to ... I don't see any legitimate reason why a company needs to run a credit check prior to an interview.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
In any event, the jobs were filled, and you didn't get one. That was 7 months ago. 6 months, and 29 days ago, you should have moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment