Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,003,338 times

Advertisements

1. Why do we have to give employers 2 weeks notice when we leave a job, but they don't have to give us any?

2. For job interviews, Why do we have to be there 5 to 10 minutes early, then afterwards they can take up to several months of contacting you?

3. Why are people expected to work mandatory overtime and be on salary and in many cases not get paid or compensated for it?

4. Why as a society do we always give the employers the benefit of mostly everything? Including tax cuts, tax breaks, executives in cahoots with lobbyists and politicians, while we continue to stomp all over the average worker in terms of cutting benefits and not increasing pay? How long is this going to be allowed and what is the breaking point?

5. I have had very poor job training at the last few assignments I have done, then as a result was either laid off or terminated after a week or so. Why do employers get so cheap in terms of training now too and expect people to understand the job completely after 3 or 4 days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:49 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,512,726 times
Because life isn't always fair. The ones with all the toys (in this case money and power) win. Because this country runs by way of wage slaves and illegal labor. Because many jobs now longer offer health insurance and standard benefits. Because the middle class is consistently being eroded. Because that's the way life goes here. People who don't like it can move to another country where the cost of living is lower. People who don't like it can become their own bosses/independent contractors and not deal with the "employer vs. employee crap" where the employer always has the upper hand. People who can also marry into or inherit wealth and thereby will also never have to deal with "the crap" mentioned above.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,512,726 times
It blows hard and big time. I've consistently experienced all those things you have enumerated.
1) Notice is a courtesy, it's not law. Don't give it if the employer is a piece of scheit.
2) It is what is is. No big deal. Check back with them about your application status.
3) There are Federal and State laws about which overtime and in what industry is mandatory. I would completely familiarize yourself with it so you know your rights. Ask about overtime at the interview if you have a concern, and decide accordingly whether the job is for you before you accept the job. If the OT becomes too much, search for another job while there.
4) and 5) It is what it is.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:21 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,002,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
1. Why do we have to give employers 2 weeks notice when we leave a job, but they don't have to give us any?

2. For job interviews, Why do we have to be there 5 to 10 minutes early, then afterwards they can take up to several months of contacting you?

3. Why are people expected to work mandatory overtime and be on salary and in many cases not get paid or compensated for it?

4. Why as a society do we always give the employers the benefit of mostly everything? Including tax cuts, tax breaks, executives in cahoots with lobbyists and politicians, while we continue to stomp all over the average worker in terms of cutting benefits and not increasing pay? How long is this going to be allowed and what is the breaking point?

5. I have had very poor job training at the last few assignments I have done, then as a result was either laid off or terminated after a week or so. Why do employers get so cheap in terms of training now too and expect people to understand the job completely after 3 or 4 days?
I can only give you my experience.

1. Every company I have worked for has a standard severance policy unless you were terminated for cause. It was always way more than two weeks.

2. Are you seriously complaining about having to be 5-10 minutes early? That is basically showing up on time unless you have the uncanny ability to time your travels down to the minute.

3. If by mandatory overtime you mean over 40 hours a week I have always had to that and it was made clear up front. But my salary always took that in to consideration. So it wasn't unpaid.

4. This is not true in all cases.

5. The places I have worked at invest way too much time in new employees to give them inadequate training and then start the process all over again.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,687,327 times
It's called capitalism. That's why.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,480,540 times
Quote:

Invalid question. You don't have to give a two week notice.

Because only a fool would time it to show up on time and risk being late.

Because working a few hours extra unpaid overtime once in a while is small price to pay for dozens of hours of internet surfing and long lunches taken the majority of the time.

Because you are the employer. You are a shareholder in a company that hires people. You appreciate when the company you have invested in takes steps to maximize profits and thus provides you with dividends and raises the value of the stock you own in that company.

The smart ones did fine in those courses and were promoted.

Next question?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 PM

531 posts, read 1,174,215 times
Quote:
Answer: You don't have to give 2 weeks notice. You give two weeks notice because you don't want to burne your bridge and you still need references from them.

Answer: Because you are not the one doing the hiring. The ones pay the bill usually have more power. You show up on time hoping you can give potential employer good impression (and they might hire you). If you have several job offers, you can always decline the job offer from company that take up to several months of contacting you.

Answer: Salary employees usually get higer pays than salary employees. Salary pretty much include all OT paid already.

Answer: Again, life is not fair. The ones with more power and money are the ones who can lobby government.

Answer: Not able to answer this as I am not sure what kind of trainings/field you are in. I usually start working on day 1 and continue to ask questions. I believe most company is ok with new hires asking questions.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 PM

536 posts, read 1,425,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I can only give you my experience.

1. Every company I have worked for has a standard severance policy unless you were terminated for cause. It was always way more than two weeks.

2. Are you seriously complaining about having to be 5-10 minutes early? That is basically showing up on time unless you have the uncanny ability to time your travels down to the minute.

3. If by mandatory overtime you mean over 40 hours a week I have always had to that and it was made clear up front. But my salary always took that in to consideration. So it wasn't unpaid.

4. This is not true in all cases.

5. The places I have worked at invest way too much time in new employees to give them inadequate training and then start the process all over again.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM

536 posts, read 1,425,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Next question?
This is just as good as Manderly's.

The thread is deceiving. I thought the OP might be looking for some advice, which is really the purpose of a constructive forum. Instead, he/she just wants to rant and play victim.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times
1. Why do we have to give employers 2 weeks notice when we leave a job, but they don't have to give us any? When my company has had layoffs it's been with at least 6 weeks notice, you cannot generalize that all employers are the same.

When going over hundreds of applications and then interviewing a lot of people, checking references and perhaps credit and criminal record, it takes time. Show up late for the interview if you like, but don't expect to be hired.

3. Why are people expected to work mandatory overtime and be on salary and in many cases not get paid or compensated for it? When on salary you are not paid for the time you are there, but for the body of work that you do. I'm salaried and may work some evenings and weekends but then don't have to use up any personal leave time to leave early or come in late when i have an appointment or something comes up.

4. Why as a society do we always give the employers the benefit of mostly everything? Including tax cuts, tax breaks, executives in cahoots with lobbyists and politicians, while we continue to stomp all over the average worker in terms of cutting benefits and not increasing pay? How long is this going to be allowed and what is the breaking point? Any benefits to employers are to help keep them here. Without what little is left of such
benefits even more of them would outsource or move overseas and even more people would be out of work.

I'd wonder if you were really qualified for the job, if experience is required there should not be a lot of training required other than learning the procedures specific to that organization, and then those are almost always available in a written or online manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment