Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I do know what I'm talking about as far as running a business. I am part-owner of a golf course. The only reason I am able to have a share in a golf course is because I have a family member who married a wealthy woman who used part of her trust to purchase the majority of the golf course. I put what little savings I had left plus a small loan I managed to secure from the SBA under the Patriot Express program to secure my share. I also do the majority of leg work in operation of the course as well.

You have to have money to make money. You can make trinkets all you want out of your home but most backyard entrepreneurs never leave the backyard. If someone is struggling to feed their family and put a roof over their head, telling them to gamble and put their rent money into a business that month is almost equivalent to taking their cow and selling them some magic beans.

The Boomers are the very people who should be in a position to start a business since they have been working for 40 years and should have plenty of savings to invest into working capital. Unfortunately, that's not happening since the majority of them have pissed every nickel they ever earned away, and are now struggling to pay off the $300,000 dollar loan they have from refinancing their $200,000 home.
You're wrong. Just because you used capital to get into business, doesn't mean that it is needed. I started with negative networth 10 years ago, and now have a software consulting business, staffing company, and 2 daycare centers (franchises).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM

303 posts, read 603,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I do know what I'm talking about as far as running a business. I am part-owner of a golf course. The only reason I am able to have a share in a golf course is because I have a family member who married a wealthy woman who used part of her trust to purchase the majority of the golf course. I put what little savings I had left plus a small loan I managed to secure from the SBA under the Patriot Express program to secure my share. I also do the majority of leg work in operation of the course as well.

You have to have money to make money. You can make trinkets all you want out of your home but most backyard entrepreneurs never leave the backyard. If someone is struggling to feed their family and put a roof over their head, telling them to gamble and put their rent money into a business that month is almost equivalent to taking their cow and selling them some magic beans.

The Boomers are the very people who should be in a position to start a business since they have been working for 40 years and should have plenty of savings to invest into working capital. Unfortunately, that's not happening since the majority of them have pissed every nickel they ever earned away, and are now struggling to pay off the $300,000 dollar loan they have from refinancing their $200,000 home.
As far as how much capital you need to start a business. It depends on what you are doing (going into) and what resources are needed. A golf course might need a few thousand or thousands(I think I'm waaaay off) but a guy selling t-shirts part-time or full-time may only need a couple dollars or hundred dollars to get everything he needs depending on what he needs to do.

It mostly depends on the situation when you start out then the money can be used to re-invest into the business to make it grow and just like you said "it takes money to make money."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment