Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
That's really smart. If you have any co-workers with connections at similar agencies (do you call them that or is it a diff. term?), start there. It's been my experience that most people know when a place is going downhill and if you keep feelers out, you will find people who know people. You mentioned living in Philadelphia, which is a huge city, so there's no better time than now to start getting involved in MeetUps and professional networking groups.
I agree with you, Velvet. TV, it may be hard for your ex-cons to "network" into jobs, but it shouldn't be that difficult for you to get out, go to some meetings and check out what is happening in your field. Great interviewing skills are essential, but how many times do people who are searching for employment get positions because of people they know, who tell them about openings in their workplaces. Please don't tell us that you haven't kept in touch with some of your former co-workers who may know of employment opportunities for you......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 02:28 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What does this mean? Isn't the US still experiencing crushing unemployment? I'm still wondering how so many people (from the original post) could quit in this economy.
The economy is still tough overall, but I can say in my organization we are hiring for quite a few positions. If you have the skillset and come recommended either through your portfolios, your work, etc then you have a pretty darn good chance of getting a pretty darn good salary with benefits.

However, our world is rather small-- and we can't really use people who have not worked in the industry and who are not fully knowledgeable of our industry and our niche- so there is that. I am sure it is like that across the economy as things do improve (also a good deal of our money is european and US-- so it is a good balance).

However like I said earlier the jobs we are hiring for require more specific knowledge than just say "product management" or "business analysis" or even "java development".

Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And FIRED is something different from laid off which did happen to a few people who called out a lot and didn't perform well
Actually, it's predominantly a question of semantics. When it comes down to unemployment benefits, some employees who are fired aren't eligible for benefits but neither are some who are laid off. But it rely is all about semantics so in this case you're incorrect that one is quite different from the other. It's easily researched by googling "laid off fired difference" if you're interested in learning something.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:29 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
That's really smart. If you have any co-workers with connections at similar agencies (do you call them that or is it a diff. term?), start there. It's been my experience that most people know when a place is going downhill and if you keep feelers out, you will find people who know people. You mentioned living in Philadelphia, which is a huge city, so there's no better time than now to start getting involved in MeetUps and professional networking groups.

Well someone who been at my job for 3 weeks stated that she knows someone at another job that just fired 3 people and they are currently looing for career counselors. But If that is the case why hasn't she jumped at the opportunity after everything she has seen happpend the past 3 weeks?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Actually, it's predominantly a question of semantics. When it comes down to unemployment benefits, some employees who are fired aren't eligible for benefits but neither are some who are laid off. But it rely is all about semantics so in this case you're incorrect that one is quite different from the other. It's easily researched by googling "laid off fired difference" if you're interested in learning something.
You still get UE when you are fired for performance.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Five people resigning in one month? This has never happened on any job I been affiliated with since graduating college. Now I'm too embrassed to say where I work because of the number of resignations in the past 3 weeks. I no longer have the motivation to go to work anymore because now I just see the place as a joke. Someone who just started 3 weeks ago alreafy wants to leave because of what she has seen in the past 3 weeks.

When so many people have no confidence in the direction of the organization then you have no choice but to try and leave.
What difference does it make what other people do? If you are not unhappy with your situation, then why would you even consider leaving? If everybody was jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?

Look at it this way, by sticking it out and showing your loyalty, it may benefit you in the future with this company. I would not throw away a regular paycheck unless I was VERY UNHAPPY.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What difference does it make what other people do? If you are not unhappy with your situation, then why would you even consider leaving? If everybody was jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?

Look at it this way, by sticking it out and showing your loyalty, it may benefit you in the future with this company. I would not throw away a regular paycheck unless I was VERY UNHAPPY.

20yrsinBranson

That's a good point, I never been unhappy since I been there just a little annoyed a certain things that I learned to adapt to but never did I say I want to leave ecause I'm not happy. It actually ranks as the 2nd best job I ever had

Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Better re-check that. PA considers termination for performance as "terminated for cause".

Why were the people laid off, you never said? Was it for performance? Or funding?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Not everything is black and white, Grasshopper:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...d-laid-off.htm

"There is also a legal difference between "fired" and "laid off" where unemployment benefits are concerned. An employee fired for personal misconduct or ethical violations often does not qualify for unemployment benefits following termination, but an employee fired for poor job performance or absenteeism may still qualify. The same holds true for an employee who has been laid off, since the conditions surrounding his or her unemployment were not necessarily a result of personal misconduct."

Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Five people resigning in one month? This has never happened on any job I been affiliated with since graduating college. Now I'm too embrassed to say where I work because of the number of resignations in the past 3 weeks. I no longer have the motivation to go to work anymore because now I just see the place as a joke. Someone who just started 3 weeks ago alreafy wants to leave because of what she has seen in the past 3 weeks.

When so many people have no confidence in the direction of the organization then you have no choice but to try and leave.
It usually means that the smart rats are getting off the sinking ship into the lifeboats before it goes completely under, leaving the ones still onboard to perish into the depths of the sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment