Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Once July 1 gets here and it's confirmed what money the agency will have for the new fscal year, some of those people will be brought back.
Are you going to look for a new job, or just sit on pins and needles until July?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Are you going to look for a new job, or just sit on pins and needles until July?

No just going to update the resume and working on my networking skills but I won't be applying for any jobs right now.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Once July 1 gets here and it's confirmed what money the agency will have for the new fscal year, some of those people will be brought back.
So your whole argument about the agency for whom you work not being affected by any state budget cuts was simply a lot of hot air.

Quote:
No just going to update the resume and working on my networking skills but I won't be applying for any jobs right now.
What does, "working on my networking skills" mean? You either network or you don't and it sounds as though you don't if your priority is working on the skills to enable you to do so.

Seriously, Grasshopper, if you'd get your butt off the couch and get outside to form some normal social relationships you'd have a much better idea what life is all about and have some contacts to brainstorm with. If the agency who employs you doesn't get funding then obviously it'll be out of business (not that obvious signs of exactly that haven't been right under your nose for the last few months already) but you're still going to play the ostrich game and wait until the last minute. When the axe falls you'll be back to square one and I'd pretty much bet that you don't have money saved to get you through a few months of unemployment ...

MOD CUT

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 04-04-2011 at 11:25 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So your whole argument about the agency for whom you work not being affected by any state budget cuts was simply a lot of hot air.

What does, "working on my networking skills" mean? You either network or you don't and it sounds as though you don't if your priority is working on the skills to enable you to do so.

Seriously, Grasshopper, if you'd get your butt off the couch and get outside to form some normal social relationships you'd have a much better idea what life is all about and have some contacts to brainstorm with. If the agency who employs you doesn't get funding then obviously it'll be out of business (not that obvious signs of exactly that haven't been right under your nose for the last few months already) but you're still going to play the ostrich game and wait until the last minute. When the axe falls you'll be back to square one and I'd pretty much bet that you don't have money saved to get you through a few months of unemployment ...

Come along, you're 35 and it really is time you developed some listening and learning skills.
I agree he needs to network, especially if he is looking for that cherry job, which doesn't start until around 10:30ish, and is within walking distance of his apartment.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Well we met with the boss today and she badically told us the company is in trouble but things can turn around with everyone pulling together. She also stated that she can't promise that there won't be more layoffs in the next few months.

So I'm basically going to do everything I can in these next three months to turn the company around. At the end of June if it so happens that I'm still laid off I can only say that "I give everything I had" but it just wasn't enough to turn things around and now it's time to take my talents elsewhere.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:33 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times
Quote:
So I'm basically going to do everything I can in these next three months to turn the company around. At the end of June if it so happens that I'm still laid off I can only say that "I give everything I had" but it just wasn't enough to turn things around and now it's time to take my talents elsewhere.
Great attitude, I'm rooting for you.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What if they say the reason they left was him?

You don't like this guy. Why?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times
Quote:
Well we met with the boss today and she badically told us the company is in trouble but things can turn around with everyone pulling together. She also stated that she can't promise that there won't be more layoffs in the next few months.

I would agree with this approach, but it can't hurt to get some resume's out there in the hands of some companies or friends that might have job opportunities.

I was laid off last summer, and it was HARD to find another job because a lot of companies won't hire unemployed people. Especially if you end up being unemployed for 6 months or longer.

I have been in technology sales almost 5 years now, and when I was unemployed going on interviews, I was being rejected for sales jobs that they were hiring kids right out of college for. I had 5 more years required for the position, have a track record of success backed with sales figures and former manager testimony (references) and it was STILL very hard to find a job.

Just saying it's easier to find a job when you have a job than when you are unemployed.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:

Seriously, Grasshopper, are you really that naive that, if you're let go and unemployed, a prospective new employer is going to seriously buy the, "I stuck around and gave everything I had to give in order to create a turnaround" schtick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
... it can't hurt to get some resume's out there in the hands of some companies or friends that might have job opportunities. Just saying it's easier to find a job when you have a job than when you are unemployed.
Of course! When the writing is on the wall you start searching so you don't end up unemployed for any length of time. Lord alive, the OP is an employment counselor for goodness' sake and should know such basics.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
So I'm basically going to do everything I can in these next three months to turn the company around.
I'm asking this in all seriousness: What can you do, by yourself, to turn the company around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment