Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:15 AM

23 posts, read 45,913 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know this is random but I'm curious what people make of this email. I spoke to the person who will interview/hire me at a career faire for about 10 minutes, also he has my resume. When I followed up with him through email I got this as part of the reply.

"We are highly interested in bringing you in as a full time employee post graduation. I would like to see if you are available to have an interview at our office... "

I guess it might be overanalyzing but saying they are highly interested already. Do you think the interview and job is mine to lose? I'm still preparing a bunch for it. Sorry if this seems silly but this is my first big interview for my post college career. It's a small company so just 1 interview with this gentleman, and my resume has many criteria which fits with the company.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:31 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times
In his email, he expresses that they are very interested in interviewing you. The interview will decide whether or not you are hired. An applicant can be on the top of an employer's list based solely on their resume and cover letter and then after bombing an interview, he will no longer be considered. It also goes the opposite way, maybe an applicant only just made the interview cut and the employer didn't see his full potential until he wowed everyone during his interview.

So, the interview, or in a lot of cases, interviews, usually serve as the key to being successfully hired. My best advice is to try not to over-think the interview itself. For me, the time before it is more stressful for me than the actual interview because that is the time that I sometimes get myself overly worked up. You could go over some practice questions and if you're still in school, you could even see if your school's career center offers mock interviews, those can be very helpful. There are also a few threads that offer some great interview advice.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieMarker View Post
Hello,

I know this is random but I'm curious what people make of this email. I spoke to the person who will interview/hire me at a career faire for about 10 minutes, also he has my resume. When I followed up with him through email I got this as part of the reply.

"We are highly interested in bringing you in as a full time employee post graduation. I would like to see if you are available to have an interview at our office... "

I guess it might be overanalyzing but saying they are highly interested already. Do you think the interview and job is mine to lose? I'm still preparing a bunch for it. Sorry if this seems silly but this is my first big interview for my post college career. It's a small company so just 1 interview with this gentleman, and my resume has many criteria which fits with the company.

Thanks
As a person who was in your shoes ten years ago, let me tell you: no, this does not mean you are close to getting hired.

You will soon learn in your career that recruiters are oftentimes two-faced snakes who will shower you with flattering words one day and then never respond to you again the next when the situation changes. They may well be interested in you now, but there are still a lot of ways that this story could end. It's not the recruiter who will be making the final hiring decision, either. Prepare well for your interview, and don't count your chickens before they hatch. You may end up getting the job, but these things can be tough to predict. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
CoolSocks, good advice, its a very good first step, of many steps, and all must be completed without tripping.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
All the above is good advice. This could very well be a "form letter" e-mail sen to all candidates that meet the minimum requirements for an interview. Also, there could be better candidates applying after you.
Never get your hopes up too high until you have an actual job offer.
You need to really impress them on the interview. Do the research and demonstrate your knowledge of their company and what they do, their
corporate goals and how you would help meet them.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
It means they want to bring you in for an interview to see if you're a good match.

But it is by no means a job offer.

Be prepared and good luck.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Agree with the others, this is far from a job offer, it's an offer to interview, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM

23 posts, read 45,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
In his email, he expresses that they are very interested in interviewing you. The interview will decide whether or not you are hired. An applicant can be on the top of an employer's list based solely on their resume and cover letter and then after bombing an interview, he will no longer be considered. It also goes the opposite way, maybe an applicant only just made the interview cut and the employer didn't see his full potential until he wowed everyone during his interview.

So, the interview, or in a lot of cases, interviews, usually serve as the key to being successfully hired. My best advice is to try not to over-think the interview itself. For me, the time before it is more stressful for me than the actual interview because that is the time that I sometimes get myself overly worked up. You could go over some practice questions and if you're still in school, you could even see if your school's career center offers mock interviews, those can be very helpful. There are also a few threads that offer some great interview advice.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!
This was good advice thank you. With that in mind not to sound like a jerk, but it luckily turned out to be wrong.... I GOT THE JOB!!

Apparently my 10 minute career faire pitch was enough to meet with my future supervisor and the division Vice President. My interview was basically 30 minutes of just talking to me about mostly the job and myself, but even other random topics. Not a single "When was a time you..." or "Describe your biggest..." questions at all, not a single directed question. I also got the feeling they wanted me, and were almost selling the company to me. It could be they wanted the first person, but I know for a fact my other classmates who applied to that position did not get a call for interview even.

Perhaps I underestimated my ability to sell myself. Not bad for a new college grad, 1 interview, and 1 job. I'm working as an entry level mechanical engineer if anyone was wondering.

Thanks again for all the help and tips prior to the interview!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:20 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times
^ Congrats!! That's a very lucky break! Way to go!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,537 times
Congrats, you definitely impressed at the career fair. It's possible you answered all the tough questions then, and the 'real' interview was almost a formality. I envy you; I remember the joy landing my first job after completing my BSME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment