Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMud79 View Post
This was predicted years ago. The most jobs added in America will be service jobs. Badly paying service jobs. How nice.
Very nice, indeed, for people wanting to work to care for themselves and their families... It's all about self pride and preservation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
In this economy, 50,000 new jobs is great news.
At minimum wage, not a living wage, not so much. And if it is to open more stores 24/7, think of that additional cases of obesity that will of course cost us all in the long run.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Even with a large portion near minimum wage, great news. That employment sector could also use more demand to reduce the applicant-available job ratio.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And if it is to open more stores 24/7, think of that additional cases of obesity that will of course cost us all in the long run.
Does everyone here really think that if McDonalds isn't open 24/7 that people are going to go "darn looks like I can't eat anything". Seriously fat people will get fat no matter what.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Very nice, indeed, for people wanting to work to care for themselves and their families... It's all about self pride and preservation.
How does somebody take care of themselves never mind a family on a McDonald's salary?

Most of these 50,000 jobs are part time minimum wage work.

Not a job for adults in their 30s and 40s with families. In fact if someone with a family took a job like this they would need welfare and food stamps to supplement their income. So that doesn't help the economy.

As I posted earlier there was a time in this country when McDonalds was a teenager's first job.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM

"How does somebody take care of themselves never mind a family on a McDonald's salary?"

3 jobs, b/w 2 people, for those too stupid to realize one does not have family, until one can sustain not just themselves, but said family.

When you see a 40 something making fries, blame not McD's, but the employee, for obviously not advancing their skill sets, education, and/or training, past the level of the aforementioned teenager.

Past generations had more drive, and a healthy sense of shame for not continuously improving.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:42 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
Perhaps the situation is different in other parts of the country, but in my city, Washington DC, McDonald's Restaurants are staffed entirely through shell companies which apparently only hire illegal aliens.

DC Youth unemployment is around 80% (one of the highest in the country), but McDonald's refuses to hire them since they don't speak Spanish.

My guess is that a very large percentage of those 50,000 new employees will be undocumented workers pouring in from points South of the border.
That's just disgraceful. 20 to 30 years ago, most people working fast food, at least in most urban areas over 100k (save for those in the Southwest) were either high school or college kids or single parents, who could, with a little help like Section 8, actually barely live on that.
Now it's mostly, in these same areas, from what I see, hispanics (2nd language Spanish), who very well could be undocumented illegals. Since they do this in Central America, they don't think anything about that here....working for 7.25 an hour or whatever min wage is in the state and shacking up 6 people in a 2 bedroom apartment.
I'm amazed that landlords, don't crack down on this more. If they were able too, that would solve a big part of the issue right there (these low paying, service jobs that are close to modern day slavery).
When I see fast food places in Canada, I don't see the same thing (unless it's the SE Asian illegals there).

Old 04-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Like Wal Mart, McD's promotes even execs from within.

McDonald's aims to upgrade image | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They are expanding some resturants to be open 24/7. How would you like to serve burgers to a bunch of drunks at 3am?

Now we have McBama jobs.
Well, at least it is a job for people who are willing to work as opposed to no job.
Everyone has to start somewhere-I did my share of fast food jobs when I was younger, and although I can't say I miss it-it did teach me to have patience and built character.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 PM

Amen, phoenixscorpiogirl, and many of them will end up promoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment