Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times

Advertisements

My mom works at a rehab facility not drug rehab nad not physical therapy more like a nursing home for younger people 40's 50's etc who had strokes accidents or whatever short term care.

Anyhow a lady came in a while back, she had her masters was going to be a counselor or social worker or something along those lines. All they had open was a housekeeping position.

The lady took the job, said her rent was due and she had bills to pay. About two months later a job opened up, she was hired. My mom was taking her around introducing her to people and people kept asking how they knw her, why she was familiar, etc.

Because she used to be the one cleaning the toilets and now some of those people will even be reporting to her.

I really enjoyed hearing this story, definately gotta give it to the lady for doin gwhat you gotta do and was really happy it worked otu for her.

Granted alot of times youll probably work a crappy jbo nad nothing comes of it but good things happen to those who get out there and do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
That's pretty cool! Unfortunately I don't think that's very typical, especially in today's economy... but it's something my parents have always told me, whenever I faced a situation of "is this job worth taking." I have a master's degree myself, and earlier this year I took a part-time job (within my usual field) that doesn't pay much - but again my parents both said "take it, because you never know if/when it'll turn into something better!" I have yet to see if they're right, but at least it's better than not having ANY job.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:10 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Glad to hear it. Its quite similar to the reason running backs are told to NEVER stop moving their feet; sure, often the tackle will take one to the gorund, but if the feet keep moving, that provides an opportunity to free oneself from the tackle.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,427 times
Was that lady working as a housekeeper instead of collecting UI?
Not sure that's the case because "her rent was due and bills to pay" seems like she didn't have any income at all.

If not, what's the relevancy to someone collecting UI?

If she took the housekeeping job because she had no money, it could be interpreted as her UI running out and that's the reason she happened to be there, able to accept the housekeeping job at that opportune time.
In that case, it could have been a good thing she waited before accepting a low-end job earlier otherwise she might've missed that opportunity if she was working a shift at McDonalds instead of applying there when the housekeeping job was still available.

Keeping your finances in order is about budgeting wisely and that means making good financial decisions with ANY source of income, including UI. Every individual must balance the risk vs reward depending upon their personal financial situation.

Wallstreet and the Banking industry accepted government bailout money because it was available to them and it was used as a means for their own recovery. They could have chosen to "prove their work ethic" and dig their own way, one shovelful at a time, out of the ditch of their own making but they didn't.

The key to their financial recovery is knowing how and when to use the system to their advantage. If monies are available to them, they take it and use it, not reject it because they have too much pride to accept it. Wealthy capitalists don't attain wealth because they are concerned about playing "fair". They learn how the "system" works, then take & seek out any advantage, leverage and opportunities available to them.

UI is there to be used as a source of income that if used wisely and responsibly can be instrumental for individual recovery as well.
For some, taking a low-end job early instead of collecting UI can mean financial disaster and missed opportunities, but in other cases, it may workout. It all depends on individual circumstances.

Some Wallstreeters and Bankers simply took their government-funded bonuses and ran off into the sunset but others invested it back into their industry. Same as those who collect UI, some just rely on it while others are using it as a financial crutch while searching for opportunities.

Last edited by raymond2; 04-05-2011 at 03:23 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
I say, good for her. Anything you can do to get a foot in the door, get some connections, and show that you have some work ethic. I took a job as a cook/server in a cafeteria at the local high school when it was offered to me (even though I had applied for a substitute office staff position). It's a far cry from my previous job (legal assistant), but it's a lot better than unemployment, has great perks, and actually pays equal to or better than positions in the legal field I applied/interviewed for. One place I applied to had an opening for a paralegal at $8.25 an hour! The combination legal assistant/receptionist job was minimum wage, part time to boot. I'm going to stick with my cafeteria job, because I really like it. Who knows, if a position in one of the school offices opens up, I might apply for it.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
If indeed a job is available, and pays more than UI, it seems like an easy decision. But it takes time away from looking for a job which may pay much better. If the only jobs available pay even less, the only advantage is preserving your benefits. Nobody wants to be a 99er!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
"But it takes time away from looking for a job which may pay much better."

168 hours in a week = plenty of time for both work and looking for better opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment