Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 PM

190 posts, read 614,118 times

Advertisements

Ok, so today I resigned from my current employer (and accepted a position at a new company). A few hours later the OWNER came to talk to me and told me he called the VP of the company I am moving to! He described the conversation:

He told the VP that I was giving him insufficient notice and asked if they could move my start date to provide him with more time. (Note: I gave him 2 weeks officially in my resignation and verbally told him I could do 3 if he needed more time). While he described this to me I was speechless trying to understand how he could do this. Then he told me the VP wanted me to call him and talk this over with him.

I called later in the afternoon to talk to the VP and apologized and discussed the phone call. I explpained that I did not believe that he needed more time with me. That I gave him 2 weeks and offered a third. Explained that I told my current employer that I am easilly reachable by phone and email to answer any questions he might have in the future.

What do you think? I understand that my leaving will leave him struggling a little but, that will not change in 4 weeks, or 8 weeks. There will never be a "good" time for me to leave.

The VP told me he understands the position my current employer is in and advised me to tell him I will give him 1 more week (3 weeks notice total, what I already told him but, cannot do more).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,130 times
I have had this happen with an employee leaving a division within an agency or company who is transferring to another division within that same employer, but not with someone who is leaving the company altogether. That is a little strange. I think if you gave 2 weeks notice and then offered another week as a courtesy that is more than enough notice. IMO it was totally inappropriate for your employer to do this.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
The VP told me he understands the position my current employer is in and advised me to tell him I will give him 1 more week (3 weeks notice total, what I already told him but, cannot do more).
Sounds like this is reasonable and it sounds like you are being reasonable. And, I would even think it's possible that the owner isn't being too unreasonable. It's not sneaky or anything. I am assuming the owner really needs your services for some extra time and he isn't out to stick it to you or the other company or anything.

Do the three weeks and I can't see how anybody is going to be upset in the long run.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Unfortunate that this happened but it can't be changed...you already know what to do; take your new employer's advice.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
That is completely innapropriate. My reaction to that would be to change my notice period to one day.

Someone once asked the question on this forum why you wouldn't tell people where your new job was. Well, we now have a pretty good answer to that question.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 PM

398 posts, read 1,362,498 times
I never tell the company I am leaving, the name of the company I am going to.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
Inappropriate on the part of your current boss. If a person called me to tell me they thought I should renegotiate the start date of my new hire and their former employee, I'd end the call immediately. Such a conversation is completely out of bounds.

And frankly, if my employer told me they'd called my future boss to discuss the terms of *my* departure, I'd tell them they had violated my personal rights to pursue my own happiness and to earn a living, and I'd quit on the spot. That kind of intrusion is just not something I'd put up with.

I'm offended for you.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM

73 posts, read 583,191 times
Wow, I'm offended by your boss' behavior too! Since you had offered to stay an add'l week if needed, your boss could've/should've worked that out with you, there was no need for him to contact your new employer. I guess it's good that you're leaving the place, with a boss like that!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,328,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Ok, so today I resigned from my current employer (and accepted a position at a new company). A few hours later the OWNER came to talk to me and told me he called the VP of the company I am moving to! He described the conversation:

He told the VP that I was giving him insufficient notice and asked if they could move my start date to provide him with more time. (Note: I gave him 2 weeks officially in my resignation and verbally told him I could do 3 if he needed more time). While he described this to me I was speechless trying to understand how he could do this. Then he told me the VP wanted me to call him and talk this over with him.

I called later in the afternoon to talk to the VP and apologized and discussed the phone call. I explpained that I did not believe that he needed more time with me. That I gave him 2 weeks and offered a third. Explained that I told my current employer that I am easilly reachable by phone and email to answer any questions he might have in the future.

What do you think? I understand that my leaving will leave him struggling a little but, that will not change in 4 weeks, or 8 weeks. There will never be a "good" time for me to leave.

Wow, your current employer had no right to do such thing.

Lesson learned - when you resign, never let the current employer know where you are heading.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That is completely innapropriate. My reaction to that would be to change my notice period to one day.

Someone once asked the question on this forum why you wouldn't tell people where your new job was. Well, we now have a pretty good answer to that question.
Exactly. I said the same thing as to why you don't tell anyone(until you're well settled in) where you are going.

Doesn't the OP have an email showing when they gave notice? That is why you ALWAYS put your notice in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment