U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 PM

11,218 posts, read 15,483,967 times
Middle-aged women returning to the work force mostly just sit around wishing that they had a job they could be laid off from. If you have a job, and you're worried about being laid off, you're in better shape than some of us.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 PM

24,198 posts, read 13,772,803 times
Any bids for contracts for goods and services for any government entity - whether it be paper products, construction or trash collection, have a clause in them that gives a percentage discount to minority or minority run businesses. A minority business does have stipulations laid out to qualify.

Say someone bids $10,000 and you as a minority company bids $10,000 as well. When bids are tallied the minority company may be given a 5% discount meaning their comparable price would be $9,500 against the other companies $10,000. All bids for government purchases are listed in the newspaper around the classifieds. All bidders are public information via a phone call. A number of companies have subsidiary companies solely for minority bidding purchases. Many men I know with family or independant companies have secondary companies in their wive's names to cover that.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,685,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Neither. We would prefer that you take the initiative and responsibility to develop workforce skills and look for your own jobs, instead of being lazy and expecting other people to find the employers for you, who will employ you based on no qualifications whatsoever.
I wasn't expecting people to be my slaves and you act as if I'm the only minority on these forums.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:53 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,685,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Quotas themselves are illegal really. You need to look for companies trying to diveriafy really but now days your going against female and hispanic who at top level are really in demand.

Hispanics because most are bilingual and females because they have better communication ability?

I'm guessing.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
FBJ

32,870 posts, read 22,235,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Middle-aged women returning to the work force mostly just sit around wishing that they had a job they could be laid off from. If you have a job, and you're worried about being laid off, you're in better shape than some of us.
And why is that?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 PM

41,710 posts, read 46,215,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There is no such thing as reverse discrimination.
The Supreme Court says otherwise.

New Haven to promote 10 more firefighters - BostonHerald.com (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view/20091204new_haven_to_promote_10_more_firefighters/srvc=home&position=recent - broken link)

http://www.shrm.org/LegalIssues/Fede...ionRuling.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It is either discrimination or it is not.
Until the 2009 Supreme Court ruling, discrimination only applied protected classes.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM

467 posts, read 378,572 times
Default Lazy..Unqualified..Unskilled...Huh????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Neither. We would prefer that you take the initiative and responsibility to develop workforce skills and look for your own jobs, instead of being lazy and expecting other people to find the employers for you, who will employ you based on no qualifications whatsoever.
...Fascinating, why is the inference being made that the PO has no workforce skills, is lazy, and generally unqualified?

My interpretation of the post is that the poster is reaching out looking for employers that are actively seeking to develop a diverse workforce rather than hiring in their own image (whatever that might be). There is no basis upon which to make the wild extrapolations about the character and abilities of the poster. I venture to say that there is no one here who can draw any such conclusions.

The fact is that a greater number of people get their jobs through contacts, associates, friends, and family (i.e. networking). It is said of minorities, that they generally do not have access to those types of connections. So for some, I guess a forum like this is as good as it gets as networking goes.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 PM

467 posts, read 378,572 times
Default Preference for Hispanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Hispanics because most are bilingual and females because they have better communication ability?

I'm guessing.
I have read in more than one source, that in this down economy, companies prefer to hire Hispanics over African Americans.

My take is that many companies take advantage of recessions to weed out their ranks of people that they may have preferred not to hire in the first place. The bad economy can provide cover against charges of discrimination. This economy has provided outstanding opportunities for companies to bring in what I call "second degree" minorities who, frankly, put one up on the board in the minority category - and - are not so "first degree".

Two for one special..way to go!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM

35 posts, read 33,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
My interpretation of the post is that the poster is reaching out looking for employers that are actively seeking to develop a diverse workforce.
Actually, he said he's looking for companies that are required to hire black people. My reading of the OP isn't quite as benign as yours.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 PM

4,129 posts, read 4,679,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post

The fact is that a greater number of people get their jobs through contacts, associates, friends, and family (i.e. networking). It is said of minorities, that they generally do not have access to those types of connections. So for some, I guess a forum like this is as good as it gets as networking goes.
Minorities don't have friends, family and associates? Weird because I have a ton of minority friends...I must be their only friend then..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment