Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesatrip View Post
Well most of the jobs interviews that I have been on recently I met the qualifications. I should have got the jobs. But to tell you the truth, I think and this is just my opionion I may be wrong but I think that the reason that i didn't get the job was because of my size. I mean what else could it be. I was qualified had 12years of experience in the job so they had to make up something to reject me and that's all that I could think of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
That wouldn't surprise me. If it isn't your size it is your age, marital status, skin color (or lack thereof) or an inability to speak a foreign language in your own country.
Come on folks. Sometimes the better candidate gets the job. Sometimes you aren't number 1, and that's life. Is it really that hard for you to believe that someone better/more qualified walked in the door after you? It happens to everyone, that's why everyone complains about this. (I didn't get the job because I'm white/black/a man/a woman/I'm fat/I'm skinny... nobody can accept that they were #2 when competing for a job.)

Rather than trying to figure out what physical characteristic must be blamed for your not getting the job, you are better off replaying the interviews in your mind so you can figure out how to improve yourself for next time.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Whatever you do to help improve your chances, I wish you much luck in finding a job.
Thankyou

Old 04-08-2011, 06:50 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yeah that was the dumbest I ever seen posted on this site
...and we should be careful about endorsement of even dumber reponses...

Evidently, responder and endorser do not understand what is fairly common knowledge about networking. This has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with having friends and family, per se. It is specifically about being associated with people who can get you a job. A person might have 20 casual to close friends, none of whom are in the position to that person a job. Given the grossly disporportionately high unemployment rate among minorities (which are all lazy and unskilled in the delusions of some), the number of those people who are in the position to make a referral are fewer. Also, in the case that the minority job seeker does have diverse friends who are well connected, some of those friends are not going to feel at ease with making that referral because they know the "lay of the land"

I've also worked in offices where there is a job opening and managers are actively seeking referrals from employees - even soliciting resumes. I find that the non-minorities are quite eager to refer out of work friends. Minorities often feel that things are a little dicey on that front and are less likely to offer up someone.

They also know that, very often, there are only so many "minority chairs" in the office.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
From past experience I would do anything and everything to avoid hiring a black for any job.

Over my lifetime I have hired three only to have heavy regrets later on down the road. No way, no how!

If you are black then take your race card and go shopping somewhere else with it.
So you are judging an entire racial group of people because of your bad experiences with 3 employees???

Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
So you are judging an entire racial group of people because of your bad experiences with 3 employees???

Maybe that's why OP needs this thread.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Maybe that's why OP needs this thread.

Exactly

Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
The entire thread is uncalled for.

You just said you wouldnt hire a person based on their skill color; ironically black but your calling this thread uncalled for?

Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
From past experience I would do anything and everything to avoid hiring a black for any job.

Over my lifetime I have hired three only to have heavy regrets later on down the road. No way, no how!

If you are black then take your race card and go shopping somewhere else with it.

Thats like saying all white people are pedophiles, bigots, drug users, weirdos, and backstabbers. Thats insane to catgorize people when where all different. Oh I get it because we have similiar skin features we must act exactly alike right?

All my friends are WHITE and ASIAN.

I have little in common with alot of black people but according to your logic I should be gangbanging, a lazy bum at work, 3 baby mamas and selling drugs to get new tints on my busted Buick.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Thats like saying all white people are pedophiles, bigots, drug users, weirdos, and backstabbers.
There being no general perception, real or imagined, that whites are the major offenders in any of these areas, this example is not a good one.

You could have said instead 'that's like saying all whites are bad dancers.' I'm glad you didn't btw, because that would really sting!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,337 times
The funny part is despite all the "reverse discrimination" claims and such, no one has come up with names of actual companies who do this.

Shouldn't there be people so angry that they know which companies do this?

We all know Bank of America charges outrageous fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment