Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times

Advertisements

When I receive a paycheck at the beginning of the month, that is my "pat on the back."

Who cares if your boss gives you positive feedback or whatever. The fact that you still have a job should be enough of a morale booster for you. There are MANY who do not even have a McDonald's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
If you ask your boss to give you these compliments, it's just going to make things awkward and if she does...it will feel forced and contrived to you both. I'd tell her that I hope to be complimented in cold, hard cash as times hopefully start to get better...and I'd start to look for other places of employment.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
You are a grown man. The boss does not need to give you a "pat on the back" for placing 6th in a silly contest.

If you want to get ahead at work, arrive on time, put in a good days work, and go home. That is what a boss would appreciate. I really doubt they care about the results of a contest like this....

Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Oh, grow up!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Oh, grow up!
Yea who cares about pats on the back. If your not getting the money you think you can get then time to move.
As long as the boss isn't s ridiculous that it makes the workplace intolerable, I don't much care about her disposition. I wouldn't say i don't care but its a minor issue.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
It looks like this team-building exercise is a step in the right direction for you. However, remain steadfast and be mindful that changing your manager's mindset of you is going to take time. If you or your team win this competition (or place well), don't be smug about it. Go about your business. If you make a big deal out of your performance in that skills competition, it will not help you any.

Quote:
Is it possible to just focus on the topic being discussed in this thread
Sorry, I've got to side with Yzette on this one.

If you kept the post general and not about how YOUR salary has been frozen and how YOU have not received a performance bonus for 2010, then I wouldn't bother thinking about your other posts in this forum. But you did make it about you.

With that said, I hope you took what posters here have recommended which is to either leave the company or follow protocols, show up on time and put your best foot forward. It looks like you may have started down the latter path. Good for you!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
You've "done relatively well on a recent performance review"? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that, as usual, the issue of your consistent tardiness was raised.

And you say, "after a recent collective lay off, I heard management discussing how they wanted to implement strategies to retain the remaining staff, especially senior personnel." Again, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you fall into the category of "senior personnel" as you're a part-timer.

The "pat on the back" for you is the retention of your job for now. Consider yourself lucky.

On the other hand, if you feel strongly enough about this issue then maybe you could write a letter to HR telling them that although the competition is fun and you very much hope that you will be part of the winning team which will be treated to lunch, it remains very important that management recognizes the individuals who place high. Recognizing the team work of course should be commended but, after all, every individual needs that boost in order to continue working hard. No doubt your comments will be regarded as indicative of your commitment and (added) value to the company. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Is it possible to just focus on the topic being discussed in this thread, i.e. the competition, my top ranking in the team and leave the past where it belongs, the past? I am asking you politely to stay on topic and take the supervisor's inaction in the context of what happened in the contest. I don't think it's too much to ask, do you?
But the past is absolutely relevant! You cited yourself the salary freeze over three years. Not to mention that it is your past performance that is the key variable used to assess whether you are worthy of recognition, financial or other.

You say you've done relatively well on a recent performance review. The operative word is 'relatively'. I believe you mean relative to your past reviews. Being a less bad employee than you were in the past does not equate to a salary increase. It may only postpone a dismissal.

Unless your responsibilities increase, or your attitude and work ethic improve, you're likely not to see any increase any time soon.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
I also have to say... having regular "skills competitions" about who knows the most about the company history sounds a rather hokey way of "motivating" employees.

As I said...the only real motivation I recognize in the workforce is cash.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM

924 posts, read 2,230,329 times
If I do well in this competition and help my team get the free lunch, then the least my supervisor can do is pat me on the back with the encouraging words "way to go VAW, good job!". When things become stale and in lieu of pay hikes, positive reinforcement is both a good motivator and way to retain your top talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment